Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Former SWG/Tarquinas players check-in thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Check-ins
Former SWG/Tarquinas players check-in thread

GunnerBod
05.28.2012 , 07:07 PM | #431
Can always come back and hang with us bro.

Gun
GUNNER BOD
Guild Leader <VADR>
Jedi Covenant

http://vadr-online.com/index.php

Armourboy
05.28.2012 , 08:54 PM | #432
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
Bioware's done a bang on job of killing their game.
There choice of game engine has completely killed them. It is the reason for the smaller server sizes at launch and the smaller raid/group sizes as well. Should of went with a proven gaming engine or one built in house. The game has already started trending, if the server transfers and such don't get out real soon they are gonna need a miracle to keep 750k.

I'm beta testing The Secret World atm, talk about a breath of fresh air in the MMO world. Has some interesting concepts.
Trill/Kamireyn/Amarlyn/Diane Lishto
Canderous Ordo
< Ex Astris > http://www.exastris.republichost.com

islander
05.28.2012 , 10:22 PM | #433
For sure, it seems their game engine hurt.

Really, its just their overall inability to put out fires, this population issue being the biggest one. If its the game engine causing this, then yeah. It's just unfathomable how any AAA MMO would not have the ability to automatically transfer characters 4 months into its existence. If they had transfers up and running by March, they could have stopped the bleeding.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Armourboy
05.29.2012 , 01:01 PM | #434
For sure, it seems their game engine hurt.

Really, its just their overall inability to put out fires, this population issue being the biggest one. If its the game engine causing this, then yeah. It's just unfathomable how any AAA MMO would not have the ability to automatically transfer characters 4 months into its existence. If they had transfers up and running by March, they could have stopped the bleeding.
While I agree with you, the bleeding didn't start because of population issues, the bleeding started because far too many people didn't like the game.

Take me for instance, Im not leaving because of population, I'm certainly not leaving because of community. I decided to unsub because A.) The game has gotten boring insanely fast B.) It simply did not launch with features that allows someone that plays off hours to enjoy the game. I can't do much about my work schedule, so I chose a game that allowed me to enjoy myself at those odd hours. Things like LFD tools, and PvP queues that don't take hours were must have for me.

It was kind of sad, I tried sticking with it by finally starting to PvP. After setting through 4-5 1 hour+ queues and never having it pop I finally decided enough was enough. WoW may not have one of the most stellar communities, but at least at 3-4am I can log on and do an instance within 15 minutes or get some PvP going within about 2 minutes.

Plus let me add the cross server grouping is freaking amazing. Its so awesome to be able to play with old Shattered Hand friends and current guildies without needing to server transfer or have toons on each server. They also are expanding that concept in that low level zones will be shared by a server cluster, thus increasing the number of low level players in each zone.
Canderous Ordo

islander
05.30.2012 , 08:55 AM | #435
Trill, I honestly think you're in the minority in not actually liking the game itself. Not an isolated minority, but a minority. The minority that still thought this game would be less WoW and more SWG (for whatever ill-conceived reason)

The game didn't start bleeding subs until open world pvp was all but killed in 1.1.5. It was losing subs due to bugged PvE as well before this, but things really didn't start going downhill on my PvP server until 1.1.5.
Before 1.1.5, my guild still had 25-40 on a night at any given time. Kinrath was consistently standard during prime time.

If Bioware had cleaned up their server situation as well as they expanded it in December, they could have stemmed the tide of people leaving. Their inability to do so, combined with them postponing ranked warzones sent the game's population spiraling down to where we are now.
Last night, Kinrath Spider has about 100-105 concurrent logins - at 8pm at night! It's absolutely laughable, and they aren't alone. Some PvP servers are worse. it's absolutely tragic. Right now, they would be LUCKY to have heavy populations if they merged down to 10 servers from 100 in the US cluster. It's unbelievable.

I can't speak for the lifecycle of a PvE server though. I wouldn't know about those

Armourboy
05.31.2012 , 01:25 PM | #436
Trill, I honestly think you're in the minority in not actually liking the game itself. Not an isolated minority, but a minority. The minority that still thought this game would be less WoW and more SWG (for whatever ill-conceived reason)

The game didn't start bleeding subs until open world pvp was all but killed in 1.1.5. It was losing subs due to bugged PvE as well before this, but things really didn't start going downhill on my PvP server until 1.1.5.
Before 1.1.5, my guild still had 25-40 on a night at any given time. Kinrath was consistently standard during prime time.

If Bioware had cleaned up their server situation as well as they expanded it in December, they could have stemmed the tide of people leaving. Their inability to do so, combined with them postponing ranked warzones sent the game's population spiraling down to where we are now.
Last night, Kinrath Spider has about 100-105 concurrent logins - at 8pm at night! It's absolutely laughable, and they aren't alone. Some PvP servers are worse. it's absolutely tragic. Right now, they would be LUCKY to have heavy populations if they merged down to 10 servers from 100 in the US cluster. It's unbelievable.

I can't speak for the lifecycle of a PvE server though. I wouldn't know about those
PvE server that are large are a little more healthy, those that didn't have a large population are pretty much completely dead. The problem is you are looking at the game from a PvP perspective when it comes to subs bleeding. Yes the PvP servers probably didn't start drying up until the Ranked Warzone stuff, but PvE servers were already well on there way to dieing out.

Most PvErs had already burnt every ounce of content prior to the Rated Warzone thing and those that hadn't were often tired of trying to piece groups together. If you played past midnight even on heavy servers there were only a handful of people on. So for a late night player the game has been a nightmare to find anything to do that isn't leveling or the same old daily crap that was boring long before this game was made.

TBH the game isn't bad per say, there just isn't anything special about it once you get leveled. Trust me I wasn't going into this game expecting SWG, I was just expecting a little more than a linear WoW clone from 2006
Canderous Ordo

islander
06.04.2012 , 11:46 AM | #437
Well, PvE-ers had their own end game issues, for sure. Just not anything tragically awful since, oh around 1.14? I'm taking an eductaed guess.
I am well aware that PvE ops were a trainwreck very early on, and admittedly have no idea how that would've adversely affected populations. I can just put up a comparative timeline to my own guild (which wasnt really Ops focused at all)

GunnerBod
06.12.2012 , 11:56 AM | #438
/wave Tarq, keeping the thread alive.

If your guild or server has died and your looking for a home Long Term hit me up.
We raid on a weekly basis and run HM Flashpoints every day, We are a No Drama/Kiddie guild.
We all really like the game and are here to stay, we will be here to turn off the lights just like in SWG.

Gunner
GUNNER BOD
Guild Leader <VADR>
Jedi Covenant

http://vadr-online.com/index.php

islander
06.12.2012 , 03:46 PM | #439
LOL, we're just waiting out to see where we're getting merged err I mean transferred to.

Playing Diablo 3 in the meantime. If any of you are playing, my battle tag is islander1#1188

islander
06.13.2012 , 11:16 AM | #440
It's Fatman time for Path of Destruction

It also looks like its time for me to stop playing Diablo 3.

Awwwwww yeaaahhhh