Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

<The Ebon Hawk> Faction Balance Effort

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
<The Ebon Hawk> Faction Balance Effort

Nemarus
10.19.2014 , 10:26 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by caederon View Post
I play both sides (Despon on imp, Beriss on pub) ... from what I've seen lately, imp GSF channel is a ghost town when I'm around. The pub GSF channel is a lot more active, and people there are more willing to discuss tactics and help people new to the channel (and GSF) to understand the game more. Pylan is always giving advice when he's on, I try to as well. Rahima often does. There are a number of other enthusiastic mainstays that are usually chatting on there, too.

I didn't know that Eclipse doesn't use the GSF channel impside. My initial reaction is that leaving the GSF channel to rot is a really bad idea, and trying to get everyone that plays into a single area regardless of guild is a good idea if your intent is to teach the game to people and have it grow. I mean, sure, if you scoop up literally everyone of quality into Eclipse I guess you can go that route. Seems like a lot might fall through the cracks though.

There are a lot of pilots (on all servers) that are GSF-illiterate and don't know where to turn. In my opinion, making it well known that any server you go to has an active GSF channel is the best way to reach the maximum number of people.

- Despon
Well, perhaps ES can make a more concerted effort to fill Imp [Gsf] with goodness, to try and squeeze out some of the bile. I didn't realize there was such a huge discrepancy in channel quality. Honestly, the few times I've logged onto pub characters, I see the same complaining in that [Gsf]. I really don't understand how people get so upset about whether a match is won or lost. The only meaningful difference is the audio you get from Aygo and Ranken.

Even if your team is doomed to lose, you can still have a good personal performance, earn some requisition, and learn.

Anyway, we will d ok what we can on Impside. But in the grand scheme of things we are a pretty small guild, and we can't change the community alone. If you want better faction balance, both in terms of skill and attitude, the best thing you can do spend time on both sides. I do invite anyone here, if you decide to fly Imperial, to ask on [Gsf] if there are ES groups open with room.

We do still often advertise open slots, too.

Unfortunately, I'm traveling until Friday, so I can't do much this week.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Verain
10.19.2014 , 10:35 PM | #12
The only time we had a premade of self destructors trying to make us lose was on Ebon Hawk (and yes, we could farm enemy foodships slightly faster than three guys barrel rolling into rocks with every respawn could die- we actually won, beating both the enemy team and our OWN team).

It's a high pop server, and it's RP. There are more toxic people there than anywhere else in GSF, and I don't think that's even up for debate. Certainly, I've gotten more hate tells there than anywhere else I've played. The per-capita toxic player isn't known, that one is way less certain- the simple fact is, there's more, uh, capita.

So when I see a thread like this, I don't know what to think. I know I've seen people on both sides of Ebon Hawk loudly complain about faction imbalance over the months, and the only one with serious credibility is Nemarus, who pointed out that it actually was republican favored for quite a bit, though I have no idea what it is now.

My assumption is that it naturally changes over time, and I would normally expect the top players to have characters on both sides, and switch around at times- and it sounds like you guys try to do that, but get abused for your troubles.

I guess my only suggestion would be to roll both sides and just /ignore instantly anyone who wants to cry.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Nemarus
10.19.2014 , 10:42 PM | #13
Well, I have put out a general call to ES to try and do a little more positive engagement on Imperial [Gsf]. I cannot promise immediate results, but hopefully we can start to make a difference. Either way, I think threads like this one are good! Thank you Varuna and Kintosi for starting the conversation. Hopefully you can see that there are veterans on both sides who want to see things remain somewhat balanced and civil

It could be worse--we could have no one queueing, save for a handful of ESers and Saberwings. We were nearing that point a couple of months ago. With greater participation, there are naturally going to be more bad apples.

tommmsunb
10.19.2014 , 10:42 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post

My assumption is that it naturally changes over time, and I would normally expect the top players to have characters on both sides, and switch around at times- and it sounds like you guys try to do that, but get abused for your troubles.

This basically. The /ignore alternative isn't ideal in my opinion though. I'd rather play with people and meet new cool people if you catch my drift.
twitch.tv/tomeateejedota
Xi'ao'prime - Ebon Hawk / Bastion, Tomoya - Jung Ma
Otoshimono - Shadowlands/Progenitor formerly known as: Tomeateeje/Yuuko-San/Rumina/Friendlygurl/Tensai-Hikoushi/Taisetsuna/Yorimoyoi

QuinMantha
10.19.2014 , 11:23 PM | #15
Nem, uh, can I mention that it's very, very ironic to me, that after creating the GSF channels on both sides to begin with, you would at any point advise people (yes, of one faction only, but still!) to not use it. That just blows my mind, I would have thought that you'd have tried to stick with it despite the difficulty of trolls.

Any channel's going to have troll troubles at some time or another. That I haven't seen any on the Repside GSF channel doesn't mean that they haven't occurred.

But to speak of the Repside GSF channel for just a moment, that is, in fact, the primary draw for me to stay flying Repside. Most folks know that I have Imperial alts that I fly, and have even mastered ships on. But I don't fly those alts, because Impside just does not have the same sense of community as Repside. I know everyone Repside. I enjoy hanging out with everyone Repside. There are very, very few people in the channel that I would say are real jerks, or out for themselves, or are out to make other people unhappy. Most everyone has some level of skill, wants to attain some level of skill, or just have fun.

Impside is a different story. And if those in the know want a condensed version of that story, here you go: The last time I flew regularly Impside was when Rainbow-dash was around. And folks will remember the vitriol that was thrown around in the Impside GSF channel in those days. I didn't enjoy it, I didn't enjoy being a part of it, I didn't enjoy being around it, and I made a conscious decision not to be.

Now. If the regulars of the Impside GSF channel are willing to make an effort to be friendly, regulate the bad influences on the channel, and promote the best interest of the server as a whole (in short, what Eclipse Squadron is doing!), then I'll be happy to try and move over.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

Nemarus
10.20.2014 , 01:11 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by QuinMantha View Post
Nem, uh, can I mention that it's very, very ironic to me, that after creating the GSF channels on both sides to begin with, you would at any point advise people (yes, of one faction only, but still!) to not use it. That just blows my mind, I would have thought that you'd have tried to stick with it despite the difficulty of trolls.

Any channel's going to have troll troubles at some time or another. That I haven't seen any on the Repside GSF channel doesn't mean that they haven't occurred.

But to speak of the Repside GSF channel for just a moment, that is, in fact, the primary draw for me to stay flying Repside. Most folks know that I have Imperial alts that I fly, and have even mastered ships on. But I don't fly those alts, because Impside just does not have the same sense of community as Repside. I know everyone Repside. I enjoy hanging out with everyone Repside. There are very, very few people in the channel that I would say are real jerks, or out for themselves, or are out to make other people unhappy. Most everyone has some level of skill, wants to attain some level of skill, or just have fun.

Impside is a different story. And if those in the know want a condensed version of that story, here you go: The last time I flew regularly Impside was when Rainbow-dash was around. And folks will remember the vitriol that was thrown around in the Impside GSF channel in those days. I didn't enjoy it, I didn't enjoy being a part of it, I didn't enjoy being around it, and I made a conscious decision not to be.

Now. If the regulars of the Impside GSF channel are willing to make an effort to be friendly, regulate the bad influences on the channel, and promote the best interest of the server as a whole (in short, what Eclipse Squadron is doing!), then I'll be happy to try and move over.
Yeah, it was a combination of the pony and another with apparent split personalities (let's call him Bob) that drove me to pay less and less attention to [Gsf]. I just got fatigued. And even though I ignored the trolls, I had to repeatedly warn others in ES to do so too.

"Bob" in particular is frustrating because he can be super supportive and welcoming one second, and psychotic the next.

And then the channel just seemed to fill up with fatalists who believed the Empire never won, so why bother? It's really frustrating for me to hear that, since I win the vast majority of matches. But a lot of pilots seem to only notice when they lose, rather than noticing when I or other ESers carry them.

Anyway, venting done. I'll try to muster up some patience and energy.

Urien
10.20.2014 , 01:14 AM | #17
Having played a wee bit on EH in the past, on Imp side (IGN: "Valladeen") I had some fun matches and met some good people. Nem and Eclipse Squadron inparticular are great guys. However, I've got to say, I too found some of the attitudes in the Imperial /GSF channel off-putting, and as a result ending up drifting away from it all and returning to my far friendlier native habitat on The Progenitor, where at least if rivalries in GSF occur, they're based on the pew-pew, not the chat channel.

However, reading this thread makes me want to give it another a go and lend a hand. If I'm around EH primetimes, I'll start making an effort to pop my head in and do a few matches. Maybe Eclipse Squadron will even forgive me for abandoning them and let me back in!

See you in the stars (or the skies of Kuat) o7
Republic Navy Starfighter Corps
- Lt. Zarius KESSLER
Red Squadron Leader, RSS Gav Daragon
First Expeditionary Fleet

nyghtrunner
10.20.2014 , 09:48 AM | #18
I don't fly over on TEH that often (like 3 times/week, usually just for the daily/weekly), but I've never noticed any real vitriol. There's some QQ on occasion by people when Saberwing is running, but never any outright hatred that I've noticed/seen. Most times, the GSF channel is pretty quiet.

I'm not too active over there, because it's not really "my" community. I still don't know any of the imp regulars, and not sure if I've run into too many Eclipse peeps, but as for the faction imbalance, it really only seems unbalanced if Saberwing is running. It seems I win about 80-90% of my matches over there unless I run into Renegade/Rhint/Friendly along with friends, at which point it turns to about a 10% winning percentage. But to me, that's kind of as it should be? It's pretty obvious that my side is a rag-tag collection of peeps, whereas several on the opposing team know each other and/or are in voice, which makes it kind of hard for a solo or a couple of solo pilots to carry.

Is that what you're seeing? Or are you seeing something different?
Master, I marked the best escape pod for your use. I of course, will go down with the ship.
Graendahl / Semírhage : Hawkë / Mierín

Nemarus
10.20.2014 , 10:36 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Urien View Post
Having played a wee bit on EH in the past, on Imp side (IGN: "Valladeen") I had some fun matches and met some good people. Nem and Eclipse Squadron inparticular are great guys. However, I've got to say, I too found some of the attitudes in the Imperial /GSF channel off-putting, and as a result ending up drifting away from it all and returning to my far friendlier native habitat on The Progenitor, where at least if rivalries in GSF occur, they're based on the pew-pew, not the chat channel.

However, reading this thread makes me want to give it another a go and lend a hand. If I'm around EH primetimes, I'll start making an effort to pop my head in and do a few matches. Maybe Eclipse Squadron will even forgive me for abandoning them and let me back in!

See you in the stars (or the skies of Kuat) o7
We would love to have you back

QuinMantha
10.20.2014 , 07:25 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
"Bob" in particular is frustrating because he can be super supportive and welcoming one second, and psychotic the next.
Ootch. Yeah. "Bob". I almost forgot about him...

*winces*
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler