Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

<The Ebon Hawk> Faction Balance Effort

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
<The Ebon Hawk> Faction Balance Effort

RJMazz
10.19.2014 , 03:31 PM | #1
Varuna here! I'm not really very well known, nor was I able to be considered an Ace, though I do consider myself way above the average player and standing above 75% win rates at the moment with this character, pubside. Most of the times I don't see a lot of truly dangerous people in The Ebon Hawk. Sometimes I do, and those times I might not even lose as well because I'll be grouping with Sriia, Rhint, Aimbot and a few others who help me win, but that's not even the topic, the thing is.

I'm opening here for discussion the notion that there's a disparity between the amount of higher skill-level players in the Republic Side. I might not have been here for as long as most people, but I've wanted to make this clear, as this makes me want to not play pubside because then I feel like my victories aren't earned, and if I play impside... Well, just had a few disgusting matches on a new character with a stock ship where I suffered a massacre DESPITE the fact that I manage to contribute accordingly, do objectives well enough and have a positive KDR. Aaaaand I derailed on the topic again. Coming back to it!

Does anyone feel the same as me? Does the Republic really really dominate the Ebon Hawk? Why should I even play GSF if I know that the matches will be easier there and there is no challenge? And why should I turn impside if I know I won't even be able to get a chance to fly when there are going to be one or two aces for my tail whenever I make a kill or two and show I'm getting some relevance in the game, while my team hasn't the experience to do anything else, and if there are aces in my team, well, theirs will have even more.

I feel like the Empire isn't being able to win enough. I feel an imbalance, though I might be wrong. I'm opening this message because I strive for balance and I want a healthy environment for people to play in. Consider this.

- Is there an imbalance in The Ebon Hawk among factions?
- In case positive, How has this come to be? Why has the Republic acquired such a dominant ground in the GSF scenario in this server?
- Can anything be done to strive for a more healthy balance and keep the atmosphere positive and optmistic with chances of victory for either side?
- What are the impacts of such decisions, what will this incur in the future, short and long term?

I know I might be stubborn and might sometimes come off as an anushole, but I never have the intention of offending anyone or looking pretentious. Contrary to all beliefs I always try to improve my game and I strive to someday receive callouts as an Ace pilot ny more than In Character (IC) among the community. For that reason I believe I am not learning a lot by facing with a not really formidable opposition (IN GENERAL. SOME GAMES THE IMPS PULL THEIR ACES AND IT'S A BLAST) and I've decided to start another character, impside, and perhaps even make that my main. I believe migrating more skilled pilots into Impside might be a solution, so as I am a little bit skilled, though not the best, I believe I am making my part, but I also want to have fun. Besides, it's pretty to have a high W/L ratio too, isn't it? Admit it.

Please, let's keep the discussion civilized. I might be wrong but I'm seeing a problem, and all I want to do is improve our community. Thank you.
Varuna Mythos: Jedi Guardian
Darth Apollyen: Sith Marauder

LilSaihah
10.19.2014 , 03:41 PM | #2
Last night in particular had a lot of very one-sided matches, at least for me. It was either a near-full 5-ship team for the Republic vs a pretty even spread of 2-5 ships for Imperials, or 6 2-ships vs Imperials' even spread.

Personally I think a good way to try to alleviate this is to encourage people on both sides to have an alt on the other faction and use them. If Republic are stomping super hard, send a few over to Imp side to play, and vice versa.
The Ebon Hawk
Sarrina | Nazani
Erinya | Tinaria | Laife

Nemarus
10.19.2014 , 05:24 PM | #3
Eclipse Squadron forms the bulwark of Imperial GSF strength on TEH. A lot of us are on vacation and taking it easy this week because we burned so hard on conquest last week.

Last Sunday we GSF'd nonstop and won almost every match we were in, even some against Aimbot and Yuuko's latest alt. We had to play soft so as not to kill the queue.

It is very rare that you will get balanced matches one way or the other. Usually, the presence of a single elite ace will trump everyone else in the match, especially in Deathmatch.

Unfortunately, matches that pit elite aces against each other are rare. And when they do occur, then the match falls to whichever team can counter the others elite ace more effectively.

Anyway, my point is that you can't judge a server from even one week of play. The population is not big enough to even out the peaks and valleys that occur naturally due to varying playtimes.

I do think that Republic probably has more veteran pilots, but not by a huge margin. If you are interested in flying with quality pilots Imperial, be sure to check out Eclipse Squadron in my forum sig.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

GrimAce
10.19.2014 , 05:33 PM | #4
Honestly, the biggest turn off from switching Impside to run GSF is the chat channel. I've seen some pretty bad attitudes on there, and it's a massive turnoff from actively participating.

I'm not saying it's like that all the time, or that every Impside flier is like that, but I think the Republic side has a much stronger sense of community, teamwork and friendship that the Impside just seems to lack. I feel like that's a hindrance in terms of attracting and keeping regular fliers running matches on Impside.
|-o-| <-o-> |-o-|
I HAVE YOU NOW

| Vrek | Siiras | Elliöt | Kharoz | Bhalr | Bhálr |

RJMazz
10.19.2014 , 05:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
Eclipse Squadron forms the bulwark of Imperial GSF strength on TEH. A lot of us are on vacation and taking it easy this week because we burned so hard on conquest last week.

Last Sunday we GSF'd nonstop and won almost every match we were in, even some against Aimbot and Yuuko's latest alt. We had to play soft so as not to kill the queue.

It is very rare that you will get balanced matches one way or the other. Usually, the presence of a single elite ace will trump everyone else in the match, especially in Deathmatch.

Unfortunately, matches that pit elite aces against each other are rare. And when they do occur, then the match falls to whichever team can counter the others elite ace more effectively.

Anyway, my point is that you can't judge a server from even one week of play. The population is not big enough to even out the peaks and valleys that occur naturally due to varying playtimes.

I do think that Republic probably has more veteran pilots, but not by a huge margin. If you are interested in flying with quality pilots Imperial, be sure to check out Eclipse Squadron in my forum sig.
I see, Nem, thank you for the insight. So it's safe to say the win rates for both factions are not out of control, in your opinion?
Varuna Mythos: Jedi Guardian
Darth Apollyen: Sith Marauder

Nemarus
10.19.2014 , 05:52 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by RJMazz View Post
I see, Nem, thank you for the insight. So it's safe to say the win rates for both factions are not out of control, in your opinion?
Well, it is hard for me to say, as my perspective is skewed. My personal win record is around 90% for TDM and 75% for Domination. So for me, Imp win ratio seems fine.

I think the rest of Eclipse Squadron trends toward positive win ratio as well.

As for the rest of the Imperial side, they probably get farmed by Saberwing, just like Eclipse farms unguilded Pubs.

Faction is most irrelevent on both sides. It's about aces and guilds, just like ground PvP.

DakhathKilrathi
10.19.2014 , 06:42 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
Well, it is hard for me to say, as my perspective is skewed. My personal win record is around 90% for TDM and 75% for Domination. So for me, Imp win ratio seems fine.

I think the rest of Eclipse Squadron trends toward positive win ratio as well.

As for the rest of the Imperial side, they probably get farmed by Saberwing, just like Eclipse farms unguilded Pubs.

Faction is most irrelevent on both sides. It's about aces and guilds, just like ground PvP.
I have the advantage of being a player who primarily solo queues, and I respectfully disagree with this assessment. I play Republic side most of the time, and yes, I've been on the losing end of a few matches with Eclipse Squadron before.

But overall, Republic teams tend to dominate, and my win ratio (70% overall) backs this up. I have a somewhat irregular schedule right now, so I'm not just playing in a time slot when Republic players are doing well, either.

I don't play Imperial GSF much. The community there, at least when Eclipse Squadron isn't around, is just absolutely terrible in my experience. People don't communicate in ops chat most of the time, for one, and when they do, it's only to whine about how they're losing. They don't try for basic strategy in domination. They don't call out for help or give tips on who might be dangerous. Solo queueing for Imp side GSF really is like playing with a bunch of bots. That's probably why my Imp side win ratio is lower, at 59%. To be fair, that's not that much lower, but I still have fewer than 100 matches there so it's not a good representation.

Imperial GSF does have a problem, I think, but losing is just a symptom of it.

But then, I don't spend much time logged in Imp side these days, so the repeated negative experiences may just be a fluke.

tommmsunb
10.19.2014 , 08:16 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
I have the advantage of being a player who primarily solo queues, and I respectfully disagree with this assessment. I play Republic side most of the time, and yes, I've been on the losing end of a few matches with Eclipse Squadron before.

But overall, Republic teams tend to dominate, and my win ratio (70% overall) backs this up. I have a somewhat irregular schedule right now, so I'm not just playing in a time slot when Republic players are doing well, either.

I don't play Imperial GSF much. The community there, at least when Eclipse squadron isn't around, is just absolutely terrible in my experience. People don't communicate in ops chat most of the time, for one, and when they do, it's only to whine about how they're losing. They don't try for basic strategy in domination. They don't call out for help or give tips on who might be dangerous. Solo queueing for Imp side GSF really is like playing with a bunch of bots. That's probably why my Imp side win ratio is lower, at 59%. To be fair, that's not that much lower, but I still have fewer than 100 matches there so it's not a good representation.

Imperial GSF does have a problem, I think, but losing is just a symptom of it.

But then, I don't spend much time logged in Imp side these days, so the repeated negative experiences may just be a fluke.
This pretty much. I used to swap sides to help out the imp side on TEH but now I refuse to because they're for the most part monkeys who would rather flame each other than get better or accuse people like Aimbot and I of hacking. Or if they don't think we're hacking, think that we're purposely trying to make their lives bad. Why would I play with people who just make my game less fun.

To the extent that I've transferred my imp toon to the bastion and don't plan on returning her.
twitch.tv/tomeateejedota
Xi'ao'prime - Ebon Hawk / Bastion, Tomoya - Jung Ma
Otoshimono - Shadowlands/Progenitor formerly known as: Tomeateeje/Yuuko-San/Rumina/Friendlygurl/Tensai-Hikoushi/Taisetsuna/Yorimoyoi

Nemarus
10.19.2014 , 09:20 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by tommmsunb View Post
This pretty much. I used to swap sides to help out the imp side on TEH but now I refuse to because they're for the most part monkeys who would rather flame each other than get better or accuse people like Aimbot and I of hacking. Or if they don't think we're hacking, think that we're purposely trying to make their lives bad. Why would I play with people who just make my game less fun.

To the extent that I've transferred my imp toon to the bastion and don't plan on returning her.
I'm very sorry to hear that. I usually try and defend you guys when I hear that nonsense. Though admittedly, a lot of new pilots read "Aimbot" as literal boasting or hax, rather than ironically.

Eclipse Squadron rarely talks on [Gsf] anymore, mainly because there is no way to restrict its membership, and a single troll can ruin the channel for a night.

Instead we just spot the reasonable people and recruit them, then chat on [Guild]. I would invite anyone who wants to fly Imperial, bur doesn't want to take their chances with the mob, to join us.

I wonder how many people are on Pub [Gsf] vs. Imp [Gsf]. We (Eclipse Squadron) still advertise and encourage people to /cjoin [Gsf] in [Ops] chat during every match. That keeps a pretty steady flow of new people joining the channel--some of which we then recruit into the guild.

Does the existing Pub [Gsf] membership still advertise the channel and encourage new people to join it? Or is its membership mainly static, consisting mostly of Saberwing and Windwalkers guildmembers, or early GSF enthusiasts that I brought into the channel when I created it (back when I flew as Nemarus)? If it is the latter, then it would explain why the Republic community seems more pleasant--it is mainly a curated list, whereas Imperial side, we push everyone who flies to get into [Gsf] and then refine by pulling quality people into Eclipse Squadron.

That would be a shame, since our goal on the Imperial side has been to broaden th base of the community -- but what if we have been diluting its quality to the point where it turns people away?

Perhaps Imperial side needs a new GSF channel that we advertise more carefully...

Or maybe the two sides have the same channel advertisement patterns, and the Imperial population at large just has more obnoxious people, so more show up in GSF.

I'm curious what you guys think. Is Pubside [Gsf] more exclusive? Does Imperial side need something more exclusive?

caederon
10.19.2014 , 09:46 PM | #10
I play both sides (Despon on imp, Beriss on pub) ... from what I've seen lately, imp GSF channel is a ghost town when I'm around. The pub GSF channel is a lot more active, and people there are more willing to discuss tactics and help people new to the channel (and GSF) to understand the game more. Pylan is always giving advice when he's on, I try to as well. Rahima often does. There are a number of other enthusiastic mainstays that are usually chatting on there, too.

I didn't know that Eclipse doesn't use the GSF channel impside. My initial reaction is that leaving the GSF channel to rot is a really bad idea, and trying to get everyone that plays into a single area regardless of guild is a good idea if your intent is to teach the game to people and have it grow. I mean, sure, if you scoop up literally everyone of quality into Eclipse I guess you can go that route. Seems like a lot might fall through the cracks though.

There are a lot of pilots (on all servers) that are GSF-illiterate and don't know where to turn. In my opinion, making it well known that any server you go to has an active GSF channel is the best way to reach the maximum number of people.

- Despon