Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Analysis: Sneek Peek.

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kusumura
01.01.2012 , 10:27 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Gleneagle View Post
I think more than one of us fit into more than one of your 'types'.
Yeah. Hey, I'm a roleplayer, PvP'er and social player. I never said you don't fit into more than one - but all three of those are still being quite ignored with all the content they're putting out.

Roleplay.. yeah. No. They aren't catering to us. All roleplayers have figured this out pretty quickly, but we're an adaptive bunch that works with what we've got, so it doesn't particularly matter.

Social.. Nyeh. Sad that I can't talk to a good bunch of my friends that're on the Imperial side - I mean, I literally can't say a thing to them. I can't organise any duel matches with them, I can't roleplay with them, I can PvP with them - if we're both lucky enough to just happen to bump into each other either planetside and recognise one another's characters and can chat in spatial quickly (Usually, there'll be others of our faction close-by that aren't really interested in letting us talk without making it a matter of griefing), or else it just doesn't happen. No, they're not catering to us.

Hardcore PvP'ers - now, despite the content that they seem to have - it isn't for the hardcore PvP'ers that, for example, would stand outside of Restuss in Galaxies for eight hours straight, even if nobody of their opposing faction came out to fight. Yeah. The ones that don't care about level difference (Or buff difference - we'll take a swing anyway! 'Choo got! 'Choo got!), the ones that just want to duke it out without any major or huge reward/pay-off for it. I do happen to agree with the, "Carebear," opinions most other PvP'ers have. Level 10's fighting on generally speaking even grounds with max-levelers? 'tf? That ain't gonna' work. You know my crowning achievement for Galaxies? Reaching 235000 Imperial kills on the Starsider server as an Officer. Most people when they examined me saw that and flipped a coin on whether they should focus their attention elsewhere or plan a zerg attack on me. THAT'S all the reward a PvP player wants, with just enough incentive to those who aren't really interested but want to learn. Equipment is nice, but it shouldn't be a main focus.
It's the thrill of a good fight, and the instantaneous bragging rights to everyone in your team present that comes from taking down the other sides' infamous players. It's gaining that extra buff to give you just a bit of an edge over what that other guy has. It's slaughtering anyone on the other team that're trying to quest on your turf, and visa-versa (Comm grinding, anyone?).

Going on a tangent, you know what I do in PvP matches in TOR? I let the other faction take the objective, so that when they're defending, all their focus is on me. I want them to give me their all and their best - screw the missle launching-silo (Illum - Imperials, don't even bother trying to negotiate an objective swap. I'll kill you on the spot, and every other time I even catch a whif of you, I'll track you down and chase for a half hour if need be just so I can take you out for the insult), the turret that I apparently should be slicing, that pesky bomb that's being defended, or the Huttball. Yeah. I'll act like I give a toss when other people are around from my faction, for their sakes since they want to win and apparently I need to be a 'team' player - but those who have PvP'd with me know where I'm coming from and what my own goals are. I'm there to kill, and kill as many as I can. Turret guarded by five Sith? Excellent. I'll break their stance and weaken them as best as I can for the team mates behind me to play mop-up crew and get whatever they want from the situation. An Agent that can't take a hint when I've stunned him twice and walked away to where there's more of his team, only for him to catch up and keep trying to hinder my progress towards said team members of his? Sorry buddy, you should taken the chance - I'll take the whole match's time to deal with you now if I really have to. Don't try running, it's too late for that.

Yeah. They're not meeting anything I want from the game, but as it is, there's just barely enough to tide me over until the next wind comes along to blow me towards a game that satisfies at least one of the things I'm looking for. And that's the position a lot of us are finding ourselves in now. You know that empty, nagging feeling in the back of your head? The one that just doesn't feel right - you're looking at a masterpiece of something, but it just doesn't feel like it. You know what that is?

It's that same feeling you get when your girlfriend's kept you on the line the whole day looking forward to the night - and then when it finally happens, it's just.. the same stuff, hyped differently. Hey, it feels good and all - it's just not what you thought it'd be. The way she sold it, it was going to be the most adventurous event to date in your relationship, with everything she knew you were looking for. And while there's.. one thing that's going right (Which is that it's happening), it's just not what was promised, considering you were in a mind to try and find what you wanted elsewhere before she sold all that to you.

That's disappointment. The game, in all honesty, really was marketed to be something it couldn't deliver on. Whether it is unwillingness, it is design, it is the mood - whatever it is, something's missing from what they said was there. And everybody's feeling it. That's fine, though - it'll weed out the ones whom the Devs are really focusing the game towards soon enough.

Now, I don't care if you have the gaul to say, "Oh, so you know everyone on every server, and you can speak for them all, huh?"/"No, I've got everything I want from it," blah blah blah. I'm not going to defend my statement again, when all that arguing against it proves is that you yourself haven't taken the time to feel out the crowd and do a little research into what people at large are feeling about the game and what they're getting out of it, rather than trying to choke on the fishing line down your throat and admitting that it's pride talking and that the Devs caught you too. Hell, it was REALLY good bait! You've got to give them that.
Quote: Originally Posted by Kusumura
Before you ask a silly, easy question, click here to learn how to answer them yourself!
Starsider RP'er - calling all RP'ers to the cause!
CE VIP - Huff, huff, huff!

Swift
01.01.2012 , 10:32 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by WLpride View Post
At launch it's pretty clear that PvP and Mega-Social institutions are not priority, and that accounts for a very big chunk of people subscriped right now.
Maybe because they understand that actual, hardcore PvP is an interest to a vast minority of people?

Seriously, even in WoW which has done everything it possibly can to make Arena PvP a competitive e-sport, the numbers of players that participate in it at the highest levels (ie more than just casual PvP) is so fractional compared to the size of the player base.

Serious PvP is very much a niche and a small one at that. You can hand wave and puff your chest out about how I am wrong, but if PvP were truely more popular, why are themepark PvE MMOs so much more popular than MMOs that focus on PvP?

SnoggyMack
01.01.2012 , 10:37 AM | #23
Nice try, but that's not what I'm saying.
Correct! What you're saying is even more ridiculous. You're predicting this game will fail in a year's time.

Thanks for the feedback!
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

KrelosDarksky
01.01.2012 , 10:42 AM | #24
From what I feel so far about the game and the immediacy of the direction that I see so far is a road to failure in 1 year. At the very minimum you can expect most PvP servers to be SIGNIFICANTLY reduced in player quantity and length of game time spent playing, meaning no long-term PvP vested interests. That's great, it sounds like were gonna see some more great filler content as expansions. That will really bring in the subs, I mean the minority solo rpg'er.

More flashpoints are you guys serious? I'm sorry but I see that cyborg-spider-thing (which looks pretty much the same but differnt color and slightly different that the Coruscant mini World Bass. That could be very cool if it was like a scripted NPC or something like PvP related but do we really need to keep up the routine with Flashpoints? In my opinion Flashpoints aren't worth my time except to 'watch' one or too times and that is really it. I would have absolutely no interest what-so-ever in replaying that kind of content more than once or twice.

Perhaps you guys need to see what happens in terms of realistic feedback from your players. Perhaps you need to listen to the threads demanding Planet PvP. Perhaps you need to listen to the players demanding more living and breathing Planets with more interactable and larger social areas. Perhaps not, who knows, we will see what the real population majority wants. We will see if that really matters to the maker of Bioware-EA MMORRG.

LOL ... perhaps you should give a game more than two weeks before you predict it's death.

PvPers leaving always happens. In EVERY MMO. The PvPers are the first to complain, first to leave and, sadly, first to come back.

I'm glad you figured out SWTOR isn't for you though. At least then you'll cancel and we won't have to read your rediculous rhetoric......

.... until you come back again because "I saw some of the updates and thought I'd come back to try it out one more time."

Sefrix
01.01.2012 , 10:47 AM | #25
If you don't like the PvP in the game then go play a different game. I'm sure you're enough of an adult to be able to, oh I don't know, play a game you enjoy. They are making content and I think that's great.

But oh wait! They didn't ask you personally what you wanted created in the first content patch to the game? How could they?! Seriously there are more people than you playing the game (and some of them don't even like pvp )

Look the point is they would be just as upset if the content patch only added pvp saying they need more pve content. The game is what it is and they will add stuff how they see fit. Please don't expect them to run their decisions on content by you first. Also don't assume that the game will fail because everyone else that plays the game has your same set a views and will react the same way as you.
You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me.

Gleneagle
01.01.2012 , 04:33 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kusumura View Post
It's that same feeling you get when your girlfriend's kept you on the line the whole day looking forward to the night - and then when it finally happens, it's just.. the same stuff, hyped differently. Hey, it feels good and all - it's just not what you thought it'd be. The way she sold it, it was going to be the most adventurous event to date in your relationship, with everything she knew you were looking for. And while there's.. one thing that's going right (Which is that it's happening), it's just not what was promised, considering you were in a mind to try and find what you wanted elsewhere before she sold all that to you.
You're bright and creative, but if you are young you should realize, or if you are older you should have noticed by now, that reality seldom fulfills what we imagine. If your girl cannot quite live up to the fantasy you crewed all day waiting for it, cut her some slack: expectations born of fantasy will almost always be disappointed.

The amazing thing is sometimes reality surpasses fantasy, but it is rare and special.

So SWTOR did not fulfill your fantasy of what it could be. I think almost everyone, including the developers, probably feel that way along with you.

But look at it: it is still pretty darn good.

Sure: they didn't reinvent the wheel, but a triangular wheel would have been a rough ride anyway.
The great oak is just one little nut who stood his ground.