Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Multi-phase plan to revitalize GSF"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
"Multi-phase plan to revitalize GSF"

Nemarus
10.13.2014 , 10:40 AM | #1
Apparently in the New York Cantina party, a podcast got a dev to say there was a "multi-phase plan to revitalize GSF", and that the 3.0 changes to requisition gain are the first phase.

There was also mention (in regard to queue times for PvP in general) that they are working on something "better than cross-server queues".

Devs, if you have a multi-phase plan, I sure would love to hear it here, so we can provide feedback. I've already had a guildie abandon the game because of the lack of GSF news for 3.0. Even just knowing the basics of a plan, with the knowledge that that plan might change, would help ease some minds and extend some patience.

Rest of you, what could be "better than cross-server queues"?
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Altheran
10.13.2014 , 10:46 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
No idea.

Cekis
10.13.2014 , 10:55 AM | #3
Apparently in the New York Cantina party, a podcast got a dev to say there was a "multi-phase plan to revitalize GSF", and that the 3.0 changes to requisition gain are the first phase.

There was also mention (in regard to queue times for PvP in general) that they are working on something "better than cross-server queues".

Devs, if you have a multi-phase plan, I sure would love to hear it here, so we can provide feedback. I've already had a guildie abandon the game because of the lack of GSF news for 3.0. Even just knowing the basics of a plan, with the knowledge that that plan might change, would help ease some minds and extend some patience.

I saw this today as well... I can say first off that I've GSF'd a LOT less for a few reasons. The two biggest are lack of conquest goals (i.e. conquest is ruling the roost at the moment) and second, the new expansion plus 12x XP gain is pulling me away as well. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I'm growing more and more frustrated with the lack of support or even MENTION of GSF from the dev team about ANYTHING of GSF to be supported long term which has made it all that much easier to NOT play it.

What could be better than Cross Server queue's? Cross faction teams maybe? However good, I still can't quite see it being better. I feel like they just don't have the data to get a solid understanding of what's plaguing GSF participation and they're shooting in the dark as to what might improve participation. They'd know if they concentrated on it... i.e. - go fix things - such as the combat log, add more data logging for your own usage, etc. Those two things can expose a few things AND build participation. If they fixed the damn combat logs you would start to see a lot of parsing support (i.e. I know I would build something!), which in turn would build a larger community.

Unfortunately, until certain things are changed (fixed, whatever), this mini-game will continue to starve itself. Here's a nugget... do you know that if they simply changed how players are logged from ID's to a label such as a name/server combo we would be able to build a leaderboard and maintain a REAL record system? Just ONE SIMPLE LITTLE CHANGE as that would allow this to happen. From that, I could build a web site that you could UPLOAD YOUR COMBAT LOG TO... it would parse out the log, save your stats and record your records (i.e. most healing, most damage, times you used, say, Barrel Roll, etc.)... But ya, can't do that until it gets changed. I do consider it a bug because they already do that for ground pounders.
C e k i s -- O p t i k i l l -- K r y t i k i l l -- J o r a y
Harbinger - Starfighter Pilot
Click to get FREE STUFFS (Referral Link)

Sintuner
10.13.2014 , 11:07 AM | #4

I fear of cross server queues. I hope they never implement it to either GSF or WZs. It destroys much of PvP community.Suddenly people you fight with/against are no longer friends and enemies you love, hate or love to hate. Just hundreds of names. Fights grow less meaningful. People stop caring about winning and losing. People gain more perceived anonymity and stop worrying about their reputation. As result, people turn to insufferable ******es in Ops chat. It makes WZs turns from war within community to war against what you begin considering as bots.

The above is as accurate way to describe WoW's transformation to Xrealm queues in PvP as I can manage.

I wonder about this. I hope re-vitalize equals content, additions. It has an echo of a little empty buzzword. It could well translate to "one dev pulling few levers in some equivalent of .ini file " Which I bet is much better than 0 devs adding lines to 0 ini files but..

Conteeent!! More content! Please god!! New maps, new ships, new ship types, new game modes, PvE, GSF themed storylines I want it all!!

Caernos
10.13.2014 , 11:09 AM | #5

Better than cross server queues, IMO?

New ships
New maps,
New components
Better rewards

Probably in that order too. I mean yeah, matchmaking needs work but for me (a middle of the pack pilot) going against rooks or aces is about equal. I take my lumps from bad games and move on and the que times on TEH aren't bad. Again, that's my opinion though, I know there are some servers out there that have really bad queue times and could desperately need it, but IMO the stuff I listed would be better than XServer
Cynfor Cinderheart and the Cinderheart Legacy: The Ebon Hawk
The FanFic Works of Caernos:
Red Invitation, Parents,
Beskar Bonds and Cinder Hearts

TrinityLyre
10.13.2014 , 11:13 AM | #6
dev to say there was a "multi-phase plan to revitalize GSF", and that the 3.0 changes to requisition gain are the first phase.
At this point, it's hard to not give a derisive snort at the statement. That being said...

Devs, if you have a multi-phase plan, I sure would love to hear it here, so we can provide feedback.
There's nothing I could think of that would be better than cross-server queues other than actually increasing interest in GSF. That would require a lot stronger ties to the rest of the game and super serious incentives to play. But yes, if you have a plan to revitalize interest, many of your long-time GSF fans would like to hear it. This game seems long-forgotten.

what could be "better than cross-server queues"?
Maps, ships, components and game modes would be a good start. I don't think x-server should be the only goal, as games on The Bastion are fun and engaging most of the time (and I imagine many servers, though not all, are like this). There's a plethora of things that could be done to "revitalize GSF" but whether or not they're actually done when it matters is another story. It's clear GSF needs something fresh and exciting. There's a ridiculous amount of good games lined up for 2015, and I doubt I'll be stuck playing this much longer with absolutely no interesting changes or additions. It's a shame because I really enjoy GSF, and to a lesser extent, SWTOR.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Gavin_Kelvar
10.13.2014 , 12:36 PM | #7
My guess/wish list that would apply there?

1) Significant balance pass that overhauls numerous components that tunes down things like Dfield to no longer be BiS and heavily buffs things like RFLs to not be outright traps. Ideally a balance pass would include adding components (add LLC to T1 striker for example or a brand new type of sensor component) or swapping entire component types on ships (replace sensors with thrusters on T3 strikers for example) that would ultimately make many of the existing ships viable in competitive matches.

At least IMO part of the reason we "need" more ship types is because so few ships are truly useful in a competitive match so seeing lots of T1-T2 scouts and T1 GS gives the impression we don't have many ship types when in fact many are just left in the hanger because they aren't good enough to be used in a competitive match.

2a) more ways to earn fleet comms and a system where you could either convert them to credits or another comm type.

2b) make the level 55 crafting mat box you can buy with fleet comms only drop crafting mats you can earn through FPs/OPs and purple grade you gain from crew skills. It's kinda stupid getting green grade mats you are assured of getting if you have the crew skill for that mat type.

3) more game mode types such as assault. How awesome would it be if we had a mode where one team has to protect a convoy or space station and the other team has to destroy it? It could just be something like you have to destroy the hardpoints on a ship for it to count as "destroyed."
Aodhán Guilhem
Republic Strike Fighter Pilot
Jedi Covenant

Kuciwalker
10.13.2014 , 12:38 PM | #8
  1. They have invented a time machine that will allow us to play PvP matches against past and future queuers, dramatically expanding the player pool and also eliminating the need to sign on at particular high-population times.
  2. They have invented extremely sophisticated AI bots that are indistinguishable from players.

Otherwise, I got nuthin'.

Danalon
10.13.2014 , 01:46 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
They have invented extremely sophisticated AI bots that are indistinguishable from players.
Sounds realistic. Sentry Drones are better than some players anyway.

MiaowZedong
10.13.2014 , 02:01 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
]They have invented extremely sophisticated AI bots that are indistinguishable from players.
The chat script that complains during defeat goes a long way towards making the bots more realistic

Seriously though, in terms of increasing the player pool...outside of cross-server queues all I can see is huge incentives. Not sure I like that idea, really.

Oh actually, I can think of another idea. A server reshuffle where some servers will be designated GSF servers.