Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Newb here: Why is the new expansion not free for subscribers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Newb here: Why is the new expansion not free for subscribers?

AlixMV
10.10.2014 , 03:54 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by --Morpheus-- View Post
The Rise of the Hutt Cartel was free. Forgive my ignorance I've only been playing for 3 months. This is my first mmo and I only took the plunge because its StarWars. I had been considering pre-ordering so that I could level a bunch of characters that I thought I'd probably never get to.

Then it occurred to me that I might have to drop the 20$ regardless if I wanted the expansion. Now I'm almost certain that's the case. I'm also certain I didn't pay for the last expansion so what gives? Also, why can't we buy the new expansion via cartel coins?
For some additional backstory (which other people have kind of said):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_...he_Hutt_Cartel

Quote:
Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel is the first digital expansion pack to the MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic, released on April 14, 2013.
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20130910

Quote:
Beginning September 12, 2013, active Subscribers will receive the first Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel free of charge as a newly added benefit to the Subscriber Rewards Program
It's actually a smaller gap than the previous commenter noted (5 months vs. 6) and way shorter than I was remembering.

Anyway. Given the track record, odds are good that somewhere down the line, they're likely to start giving away SoR for free like they are/did RotHC, but you'd likely have to wait 5-6+ months for it to happen. Like people who didn't pony up for RotHC, you'd be stuck at Level 55 while you wait and a good majority of people have progressed to Level 60.
~ < Fortitude > ~ Jedi Covenant ~
Referral link
Sollyni ~ Annifryd
Ni'rys'hyl ~ Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee

The_Grand_Nagus
10.10.2014 , 05:34 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by FumikoM View Post
Bioware want people to pay for their expansions and everyone loses their minds.
You have a strange defintion of losing one's mind. I was just asking the question because I'm new and didn't understand why the 1st expansion was free for me as a subscriber.
Unfortunately some people think that making stupid comments like that somehow helps them win an argument. Obviously that isn't true, but you did the right thing by calling him on his BS.
ALL YOUR LATINUM ARE BELONG TO ME

Gomla
10.10.2014 , 07:36 PM | #23
Bioware want people to pay for their expansions and everyone loses their minds.
Marvel as absolutely everyone "loses their minds".

It has nothing to do with one person asking a simple question. He started later and didn't realise people paid for Makeb originally.

Nope, can't be that, must be the entirety of the games population "losing their minds".

Daekarus
10.10.2014 , 07:38 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ghoul_drool View Post
Many, MANY people would have paid the $ 20 for that 12xXP alone.
This is me. Was going to buy anyway, but my hands didn't start shaking in anticipation until I saw the XP bonus. Easily the best $20 I've spent in the last 5 years.

AshlaBoga
10.10.2014 , 08:48 PM | #25
The Rise of the Hutt Cartel was free. Forgive my ignorance I've only been playing for 3 months. This is my first mmo and I only took the plunge because its StarWars. I had been considering pre-ordering so that I could level a bunch of characters that I thought I'd probably never get to. Then it occurred to me that I might have to drop the 20$ regardless if I wanted the expansion. Now I'm almost certain that's the case. I'm also certain I didn't pay for the last expansion so what gives? Also, why can't we buy the new expansion via cartel coins?
1. RotHC went free after 7 months, I paid $10 for it.
2. Because of Friend Referals I suspect BW doesn't want expansions to be CC purchasable.
3. I think that SoR should be $10 for subs as well, but I've already pre-ordered to get the x12xp so too late.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

TX_Angel
10.10.2014 , 09:25 PM | #26
^ Raises hand... I would...

CaptRogue
10.10.2014 , 09:28 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Orizuru View Post
^ This!

And even F2P and Preferred players can earn 100 CC per month if they added a security key to their account. I didn't play the game for 2 years and continued to earn 100CC each month in a game I wasn't playing just for having added the mobile app security key to my account before the game ever went free to play. It was quite nice too when I decided to return the game and found that 2400 CC waiting for me.
Incorrect. F2P/Preferred players can not get the security key on their account. At least the phone app is not available to unsubbed accounts.
Interested in 7 FREE days added to your account, plus a FREE Server Transfer & a CM box of unlocks? Follow this LINK!!

Lord_Vorak
10.10.2014 , 10:37 PM | #28
You can set it up when you are a sub and then drop back to preferred and it keeps on working just fine.

_NovaBlast_
10.11.2014 , 12:08 AM | #29
^ this I feel like i am getting the expansion free simply because of this

This alone is EPIC
I miss Kira....

Quote: Originally Posted by Nefla View Post
If you're playing a BioWare game for something other than story and characters then you're doing it wrong.

SgtJeremy
10.11.2014 , 12:11 AM | #30
Why do people keep asking this? Blizzard takes about twice as much for their expansions, no one cares. Bioware want people to pay for their expansions and everyone loses their minds.
I don't know if the original post was edited but as of right now the post seems fine. You are the one losing your mind.
"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
"Victory at all costs, Victory inspite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, their is no peace."
http://www.swtor.com/r/pqwT9F Want free stuff, sure you do.