Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Newb here: Why is the new expansion not free for subscribers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Newb here: Why is the new expansion not free for subscribers?

DanNV
10.10.2014 , 12:22 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Lt-Snake View Post
it was $20 f2p and $10 for sub
Actually, it was $10 preorder and $20 for f2p and everyone after the preorder period.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

FalmeseReb
10.10.2014 , 12:31 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ghoul_drool View Post
Many, MANY people would have paid the $ 20 for that 12xXP alone.
I know I did, the expansion was the perk not the xp boost lol.

branmakmuffin
10.10.2014 , 12:33 PM | #13
Because it's not.

Raansu
10.10.2014 , 12:56 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DanNV View Post
Actually, it was $10 preorder and $20 for f2p and everyone after the preorder period.
It was only $10 if you were a subscriber.

Silensaint
10.10.2014 , 01:16 PM | #15
Why in hell would an expansion be free for a sub game even none PC games charge for DLC lmao that I think finalized my list of *** more can you complain about

Raansu
10.10.2014 , 01:27 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Silensaint View Post
Why in hell would an expansion be free for a sub game even none PC games charge for DLC lmao that I think finalized my list of *** more can you complain about
Well BW has a weird way of labeling expansions. GSF and GSH were basically glorified major updates but BW labeled them as expansions. They were also free. RoTHC was made free only a few short months after it went live.

I'll be honest, I was surprised SoR had a price tag on it given what they did with RoTHC. I assumed they were going to route of not charging for expansion anymore. Not that I mind as SoR is more of an actual expansion than a major update though it obviously doesnt scale to a real expansion though so the $20 is reasonable imo.

I'll just be happy if this expansion isn't littered with cartel market stuff. GSF and GSH having almost purely cartel market vibes to them was understandable since they were free. Guess we'll find out in December.

Lunafox
10.10.2014 , 02:08 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by --Morpheus-- View Post
The Rise of the Hutt Cartel was free. Forgive my ignorance I've only been playing for 3 months. This is my first mmo and I only took the plunge because its StarWars. I had been considering pre-ordering so that I could level a bunch of characters that I thought I'd probably never get to. Then it occurred to me that I might have to drop the 20$ regardless if I wanted the expansion. Now I'm almost certain that's the case. I'm also certain I didn't pay for the last expansion so what gives? Also, why can't we buy the new expansion via cartel coins?
It wasn't free. Many of us paid for it. It only became free, after it'd been out for a while.

The reason they charge money, is so they can pay for the work done on the expansion. There isn't a room full of chimps that crank things out for free for us. The chimps demand paying. And I will gladly pay those chimps whatever it takes to keep the content coming, as I enjoy it.

Really, twenty dollars isn't that much. Not even thirty, which is closer to what I pre paid when you consider exchange and taxes. You spend oodles of hours playing...frankly designer coffee is more expensive, when you consider time spent and enjoyment.

Larsenex
10.10.2014 , 02:39 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
It wasn't free. Many of us paid for it. It only became free, after it'd been out for a while.

The reason they charge money, is so they can pay for the work done on the expansion. There isn't a room full of chimps that crank things out for free for us. The chimps demand paying. And I will gladly pay those chimps whatever it takes to keep the content coming, as I enjoy it.

Really, twenty dollars isn't that much. Not even thirty, which is closer to what I pre paid when you consider exchange and taxes. You spend oodles of hours playing...frankly designer coffee is more expensive, when you consider time spent and enjoyment.
^^^ This person gets it. Value. What you get here is value. Nobody bats and eye and will pay 8 DOLLARS for a 20oz coffee and do this 3x a week, yet a game developer asks for a ONE TIME PURCHASE of 19.99 and suddenly they are capitalist pigs who should give everything the create for free. I would happily pay 49.97 for this expansion. Its recreation and I play it EVERY DAY which makes ifs VALUE beyond ANYTHING you can ask for when compared to a similar product (Movies, Board games, Books, Netflix.).
Corbindallas Agent of the Empire
VERMIN (spreading filth and disease in the Galaxy for ages!)

"Go for the Eyes Boo!"

OrionSol
10.10.2014 , 02:47 PM | #19
early access
Or-ion Sol
Founder of THE JEDl ORDER (Guild Website)
"As I was, I am, I will..."

Gomla
10.10.2014 , 03:04 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ghoul_drool View Post
Many, MANY people would have paid the $ 20 for that 12xXP alone.
I did pretty much.

And the shiny Revan statue.