Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Some changes I feel may help make starfighter more fun for everyone.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Some changes I feel may help make starfighter more fun for everyone.

Ryuku-sama
09.20.2014 , 02:20 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Wasbeer View Post
I've hit the boosters and burned away as soon as they pop up plenty of times only to be hit in the *** by them so that's not exactly true. If it's out in the open and you're trailing 4k behind sure easy enough but if you're stuck in tight spaces such as satellites or satellites burrowed within asteroids it becomes a very big problem, bombers become invulnerable and other bombers are essentially denied entry.
Try to fly a Charged Plating bomber instead. You go where you want. If the enemy team don't fly BLC scout or gunships you're sure to cap or at least force 4 or 5 of them to try to get you off their sat.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

tommmsunb
09.20.2014 , 03:42 PM | #12
I don't think any of these changes would make the game better.
twitch.tv/tomeateejedota
Xi'ao'prime - Ebon Hawk / Bastion, Tomoya - Jung Ma
Otoshimono - Shadowlands/Progenitor formerly known as: Tomeateeje/Yuuko-San/Rumina/Friendlygurl/Tensai-Hikoushi/Taisetsuna/Yorimoyoi

Arkerus
09.20.2014 , 07:04 PM | #13
There is one simple thing they can do. Ships come with 10,000 points ready to distribute OR have some unlocks already open.

The barrier to entry into GSF is gigantic for new players. No one is asking for a handout but give new players a chance to buy some upgrades.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Fractalsponge
09.20.2014 , 07:08 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
There is one simple thing they can do. Ships come with 10,000 points ready to distribute OR have some unlocks already open.

The barrier to entry into GSF is gigantic for new players. No one is asking for a handout but give new players a chance to buy some upgrades.
I think this is a great idea. GSF has been around long enough that this doesn't cheapen anyone's investment. Make it a starter quest or something.
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands

Wasbeer
09.20.2014 , 07:15 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post

That's not really an issue, I took the stock ships on a new character and scored top damage, kills, and objectives. There's just a short but sharp learning curve for new people who just start off and don't really know what they're doing yet. If anything that will merely serve as a crutch and inhibit some learning to a point.

Wasbeer
09.20.2014 , 07:17 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractalsponge View Post
I think this is a great idea. GSF has been around long enough that this doesn't cheapen anyone's investment. Make it a starter quest or something.
There is a tutorial already in place that gives the basics of the game, but I'm guessing most don't use it. It wont teach you how to out fly an opponent but it gets you on your feet so you aren't completely lost. The rest comes by playing, observing, and reflecting.

Fractalsponge
09.20.2014 , 07:19 PM | #17
It's still helpful. There are many components that grant critical advantages that aren't default selections. If a new pilot comes in, will he/she be naturally attracted to improving what they've got, or try the new components that are just better than the defaults? The easier they can access pretty basic needs like missile break or armor pierce, the better.
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands

Wasbeer
09.20.2014 , 08:48 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractalsponge View Post
It's still helpful. There are many components that grant critical advantages that aren't default selections. If a new pilot comes in, will he/she be naturally attracted to improving what they've got, or try the new components that are just better than the defaults? The easier they can access pretty basic needs like missile break or armor pierce, the better.
I'd argue that a better request would be to have upgrades simply removed since they really don't offer any unique style and just let people pick whatever load they want. And even then you'll have "best setups." This would serve for easier balance passes.

Arkerus
09.20.2014 , 10:23 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Wasbeer View Post
I'd argue that a better request would be to have upgrades simply removed since they really don't offer any unique style and just let people pick whatever load they want. And even then you'll have "best setups." This would serve for easier balance passes.
Upgrades are part of the RPG experience built into GSF.

You can try and fake it all you want, but there is a vast different between an upgraded ship and one without. A SMALL hand up for new players would never be a bad thing. I have had several friends start playing GSF and the first thing they always say is how night and day it is playing a vanilla ship and one even partially upgraded. I played from the start so for me, its not a big deal. You forget how brutal it is for new players.

Can we please get away from the "well I did it so everyone else should have to slog it out too" attitude?

All that said, your idea of just offering all upgrades would be better than what we have now.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Devrius
09.20.2014 , 10:59 PM | #20
GSF needs a PvE alternative, less expensive last tier upgrades and a few more game modes.

The 1st one sounds unlikely but somewhat possible.

The second would diminish the one thing keeping the lights on (the ship reqs to fleet reqs)

The third would require quite a bit of work, depending on the mode/modes even more so then PvE so it's very unlikely.