Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Some changes I feel may help make starfighter more fun for everyone.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Some changes I feel may help make starfighter more fun for everyone.

Wasbeer
09.20.2014 , 12:15 AM | #1
-Redesign capture satellites to be less merry go round / monkey chased the weasel. (Sure it can make things a little interesting but honestly how often do fights for satellites degenerate into flying in circles accomplishing nothing, that's not very fun.) It may be interesting to have different satellite designs even in one map, some obstructive types like our current satellites and some more open that look more like a small shipyard repair dock or something to that effect. Give us more diverse objectives to capture/defend and don't just have one type or another on a map.

-Limit mine & sentry spam and keep mines & sentries from being spawned withing X kilometers of spawn jump points. Mines and sentries add a nice dynamic to the game but when it comes to the point where one satellite or spawn point has 10+ sentries & mines littering the hell out of space it gets absurd especially with the addition of fighters.

-Reduce Cluster Missile range from 5km to 4km, it really doesn't feel like a short range missile especially with how short the lock-on is. A mid or long range should beat it to the punch when the mid/long range starts the lock when the short range is still short of its target. A stronger diversity in the ranges brings more tactical thinking to the game rather than everybody rushing to unlock clusters as soon as they can.

Ryuku-sama
09.20.2014 , 12:24 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Wasbeer View Post
-Redesign capture satellites to be less merry go round / monkey chased the weasel. (Sure it can make things a little interesting but honestly how often do fights for satellites degenerate into flying in circles accomplishing nothing, that's not very fun.) It may be interesting to have different satellite designs even in one map, some obstructive types like our current satellites and some more open that look more like a small shipyard repair dock or something to that effect. Give us more diverse objectives to capture/defend and don't just have one type or another on a map.
We are all asking for this.

-Limit mine & sentry spam and keep mines & sentries from being spawned withing X kilometers of spawn jump points. Mines and sentries add a nice dynamic to the game but when it comes to the point where one satellite or spawn point has 10+ sentries & mines littering the hell out of space it gets absurd especially with the addition of fighters.
No. As it is the only reason one would ever use a Charged Plating Strike or an Assault Bomber is to effectively dive in a mine field and take the sat. Making so we can't spawn our mines/drones around objectives would not only make bomber irrelevent but also most heavy DR build.

-Reduce Cluster Missile range from 5km to 4km, it really doesn't feel like a short range missile especially with how short the lock-on is. A mid or long range should beat it to the punch when the mid/long range starts the lock when the short range is still short of its target. A stronger diversity in the ranges brings more tactical thinking to the game rather than everybody rushing to unlock clusters as soon as they can.
Problem with Cluster isn't its range or its lock on. Problem is how easily it can be spammed. IMO it should have the same recharge time as Conc.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Wasbeer
09.20.2014 , 12:31 AM | #3
I'm not saying sentries and mines should be restricted from satellites, I'm saying they should be restricted from the vicinity of the jump points where people spawn into the actual game. I've run across a few games where all three spawn ins were flooded with sentries and mines making it impossible to do anything. Rare but it does happen.

Altheran
09.20.2014 , 01:12 AM | #4
I'm not saying sentries and mines should be restricted from satellites, I'm saying they should be restricted from the vicinity of the jump points where people spawn into the actual game. I've run across a few games where all three spawn ins were flooded with sentries and mines making it impossible to do anything. Rare but it does happen.
Well, personally I always believed that all mines should be restricted to one per user (and per variant), only to have a common point between all mines to have a good starting point for mine balancing...
And it does happen that it would make satellites more difficult to flood (thinking of some people that choose the 6 mines build)

About the satellite shape : I agree.
Their highly obstructive nature limits the ship classes able to take down a defender to bomber and GS. If the defender knows what he's doing, then it's hellish to clear a satellite with Scouts and Strikes. A Scout may sometimes be efficient enough, but the current satellite shape is Strike's bane.
Some people want to buff Strike, but frankly as long as the shape will be as now, even if they're buffed to the verge of being OP, they'll still have to use ridiculously complex maneuvers that often includes to momentarily abandon the sat, which sometimes result in a turret spawning... They'll still be hardly worth in domination.

So, anything that is reducing the obstructive nature of objectives is good for me. Even changing the shape of Satellites.

Kcin_Trebla
09.20.2014 , 04:50 AM | #5
Agreed.
And agreed whatever they can do to clear the bombers out of the game once and for all! I'm not kidding and I have a nicely equipped bomber too, so I know what I'm saying.
I'll also suggest: reduce mines/weapon-drones' ammo to 3 shots/missiles then they will just sit there waiting to be destroyed; reduce mines/weapon-drones' damage to 1/3 of what is now; set weapon-drones' deploy capability to 1 per bomber: I.e.: till the mine/drone is destroyed you can't deploy another; make all drones/probes (not mines) of a bomber going offline if the bomber that deployed them goes more then 3kms away; make bombers only capable to carry light lasers; make all drones/probes self-destruct if the deployer-bomber is destroyed; make bombers (if they don't coordinate togeather) to be the natural meal for scouts and strikers and not the other way around as it is now.

No seroiusly, the most fun and greatly enjoyable game I had was in a match with both teams choosing only scouts and strikers. No matter what level/equipment/whatever you have, those matches always end in a quite balanced result. And since I'm playing (and paying) for having fun, I'm really sick and bored seeing a whole map captured with no options for the other team in less then 1 min and team-deathmatches ending 50 to 10. These things are ridicoulous.

Wasbeer
09.20.2014 , 08:55 AM | #6
I don't know if the guy above is trolling or not but something I forgot to add to comments on mines is it would be nice if there were a 1-2 second arming delay. Currently they act as instant aft missiles if bombers are being chased, which is a bit much. Sure they could have an IFF in them for immediate deployment but there's still a vicinity issue with blast radius if you want to get into the realistic things in star wars of all places. :P It's about balance.

ThutmoseV
09.20.2014 , 09:26 AM | #7
I would like the addition of more objective types and designs. But I like the current system for capturing satellites. A single pilot, if he flies well enough, can keep the enemy from capturing a satellite just by keeping alive. Nothing is more epic then heroically holding of the enemy while outnumbered and flying frantically, (and dying bravely in a while, usually). I was once on the losing side of a domination match 999 to 1000. If one of us could have held out at a satellite one more second, or captured a satellite one second faster, the outcome would have changed.

As a frequent bomber pilot, I want to keep the instant mine activation. Without it, bombers are just a tasty meal for T2 scouts, with it, we can fight back a bit.
The Shadowlands
Erannov Vanguard GSF veteran
Sundaro Sage

Wasbeer
09.20.2014 , 09:32 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ThutmoseV View Post
As a frequent bomber pilot, I want to keep the instant mine activation. Without it, bombers are just a tasty meal for T2 scouts, with it, we can fight back a bit.
Without it fighters and scouts would be tactically inclined to defend a bomber in team play. It's a bit much that a tailing scout or fighter can be taken down in one or two mines with so little effort simply because of lack of a timer. I understand wanting to be able to defend one's self but there are limits to what's reasonable. It can frequently give a bomber invulnerability or near to it on satellite maps.

Ryuku-sama
09.20.2014 , 11:50 AM | #9
I don't know if the guy above is trolling or not but something I forgot to add to comments on mines is it would be nice if there were a 1-2 second arming delay. Currently they act as instant aft missiles if bombers are being chased, which is a bit much. Sure they could have an IFF in them for immediate deployment but there's still a vicinity issue with blast radius if you want to get into the realistic things in star wars of all places. :P It's about balance.
They already have an arming delay -.- L2P

EDIT : It,s a deployment delay, once deployed it explode instantly. This deployment delay is what keep the mines from becoming aft missiles. A good pilot can explode them or avoid them completely.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Wasbeer
09.20.2014 , 01:34 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
They already have an arming delay -.- L2P

EDIT : It,s a deployment delay, once deployed it explode instantly. This deployment delay is what keep the mines from becoming aft missiles. A good pilot can explode them or avoid them completely.
I've hit the boosters and burned away as soon as they pop up plenty of times only to be hit in the *** by them so that's not exactly true. If it's out in the open and you're trailing 4k behind sure easy enough but if you're stuck in tight spaces such as satellites or satellites burrowed within asteroids it becomes a very big problem, bombers become invulnerable and other bombers are essentially denied entry.