Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Good" Accuracy

Ymris
09.10.2014 , 02:29 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by tommmsunb View Post
If you're flying circles around a node you're just delaying the inevitable. You might as well pop a few of them than waste your time. If you're going to fly like that go fly a bomber.
Erm... I've won quite a number of domination matches by doing exactly that. I'm not delaying the inevitable by keeping a node, I'm building points for my team. Not to mention, that when the rest of my team shows up at the node I'm protecting, they can easily pick off my pursuers. Kills alone don't win domination matches, I doubt I'll be convinced otherwise.

The difference between me being in a scout and being in a bomber is that in my scout, they have a much harder time actually hitting me.

Quote: Originally Posted by tommmsunb View Post
That strat will only work against bad players. A good player will kill a scout who's sat hugging in no time flat. This is just entirely wrong. Basing your strategy on the assumption that your enemy is bad is just really dumb.
My strategy changes with situation. If I try one thing and it doesn't work, I try something else.

I speak from experience--what I have done has worked for me quite a bit, regardless of what you have to say about it. Maybe it's the server I'm on, maybe it only works against "bad" players, but you can't argue with what has already happened.

To keep this talk on-topic, I ran a few matches this afternoon. On my quad/cluster Sting, my hit % seems to be around 40%. On my Blackbolt with laser cannons and pods and TT, it's about 30%. Seems I need to keep practicing!
Harbinger [US West Coast]: Strïx
The Ebon Hawk [US East Coast]: Strîx

Tensoring straight to hell!

Ymris
09.10.2014 , 02:37 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractalsponge View Post
I don't know how weaving around a sat gets a scout killed slower than fighting attackers in the open. You can pincer a sat humper but it'd definitely be faster to hose it down and kill it without LOS obstructions. It's annoying as hell when a scout dances around the satellite projections, but it's a pretty solid strat when a node is getting zerged.
Satellite humping is annoying, I agree. A satellite is an object which I can use evasive maneuvering to keep between myself and my attackers. Anytime I can put something between me and missile locks or gunship rails, it helps keep me alive.

The trick is, to move unpredictably--don't just keep circling in the same direction.

I do want to point out that I'm not suggesting that satellite humping is a strategy I favor or encourage--just one that works at times. It really depends on your team and the opposing team, and what's going on at the time. Scout maneuverability makes them perfectly suited to things like evasive satellite humping, moreso than other ships.

Speaking of ships and maneuverability, hit % doesn't seem to me like a static number. If you're flying against pilots like me, who use engine-heavy scouts and favor evasive flying and chases through obstacle-dense areas over jousting or fighting in the open, your hit % will probably be lower. If you are fighting a lot of bombers, who have an easier time mitigating damage, your hit % will probably be higher.

I'm assuming that the hit percentages suggested earlier in the thread as acceptable have the understood disclaimer that they are an average, and not something that's going to happen every match.

nyghtrunner
09.10.2014 , 03:42 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Ymris View Post
I'm assuming that the hit percentages suggested earlier in the thread as acceptable have the understood disclaimer that they are an average, and not something that's going to happen every match.
I went into the OP thinking this. There will always be outlier matches for just about everything, but I was definitely thinking about an average hit %.

Hit % for any single match can be an anomaly, so I was definitely thinking more about trends.
Master, I marked the best escape pod for your use. I of course, will go down with the ship.
Graendahl / Semírhage : Hawkë / Mierín

Drakkolich
09.10.2014 , 03:51 PM | #44
I see were having the scouts circling nodes to defend satelites is useless argument again.

For those arguing that scouts have no place being evasive on a satelite to stall longer I submit this scenario.

Imagine you as a scout are solo defending a node, and you see 2 attackers coming. For this experiment they will not only be scouts of the exact same build as you, they are you. Is anyone really going to tell me its better to fight 2 of yourself then to just be evasive until teammates have to respond or you stall atleast long enough to get a few more points?

Now as for the argument that this only works against lesser players, that seems really silly to me. As if 2 lesser players engaged me I would just kill them because I'm the better player. You only need to be evasive if you are outskilled or outnumbered.

Now Tomm I get it you like doing damage and that is what scouts do best is a ton of dps, but please stop telling everyone that in all circumstances only damage matters. Because as far as winning the most possibles games is considered it just isn't. I win way more games sitting on top of my gunship teammates as a scout in deathmatch then I would just running around killing everything. Don't get me wrong that makes your stats awful and makes it seem like you didn't help the whole match on the scoreboard, it is however very useful toward winning the match.

This is just my opinion and I know you have yours that damage done and dps are the only things a scout contributes, I just think that there is more to a team game then just your damage done and dps even on a scout.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Ymris
09.10.2014 , 05:44 PM | #45
Thank you, Drak. I feel validated now.

RatPoison
09.11.2014 , 06:05 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractalsponge View Post
I don't know how weaving around a sat gets a scout killed slower than fighting attackers in the open. You can pincer a sat humper but it'd definitely be faster to hose it down and kill it without LOS obstructions. It's annoying as hell when a scout dances around the satellite projections, but it's a pretty solid strat when a node is getting zerged.
^ This and what Drak wrote.

Stopping a cap, or flying evasively around a sat to stall and delay is most certainly a useful tactic. If there were one thing that every new pilot should learn about domination, it should be the value of this tactic and staying close to sats that have no turrets.

I've had too many matches where I'm rushing to reinforce a sat to watch the last pilot there zoom away from the sat because they were dying or afraid of that. Boom... the sat gets capped and time and points are lost. Evasive sat humping is a good skill to have.

Hell, had a match last night where I was wondering where all my team was... well over half of it was at a sat chasing around one lowly Novadive For as sad as that was for my team, it was an effective move for the other team's pilot.
Saevius : Marauder
- T o r v a N e x -
Referral Link for Free Stuff
7 Days Subscription for Previous Subscribers