Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Good melee healer class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Good melee healer class?

MaGicBush
12.23.2011 , 04:01 PM | #1
Is there a class that dishes melee dps, and if need be respec to heal for a group? I made a Assassin and a Sniper, but for some reason something doesn't feel right with either to me(Sniper has no defense in PvP when in close range, and I tend to be a first target in warzones though I did only play it to lvl 18 so far). My assassin I only made it to level 12 with, but the DPS didn't seem to great. So I figured I would maybe give a class a shot that could rotate between healing and DPS when needed, for something different to do every now and then. Thanks for any suggestions!

lolynot
12.23.2011 , 04:17 PM | #2
i don't think there is a melee healer class...but if you don't like being a target in pvp... i don't recommend going healer.

KahnyaGnorc
12.23.2011 , 04:24 PM | #3
No melee healers, but Sage/Sorc have some ways to open up from melee, and Commando/BH-healers have heavy armor and abilities usable in close range.

ethertap
12.23.2011 , 04:43 PM | #4
One of the IA/Smug ACs is a stealth/melee class with a healing tree. All the gun based melee classes retain some ranged abilities, but most of the ones you will want to use or focus on will be less than 10m range.

Chris_G
12.23.2011 , 05:07 PM | #5
Scoundrel/Operative is the closest thing to what you are looking for, but its not a pally type healer, they are a more like a cross between a rogue and a healer.

MaGicBush
12.23.2011 , 05:39 PM | #6
Thanks for the replies, so what's the difference between the assassin and a operative besides they have a healing tree? They both stealth and have melee abilities, so confused on the difference there.

This is a hard decision though, can't decide what class to re-roll since non really seem to fit my favorite playstyle. As far as healing goes, which class is the best at it or are they pretty on par?

Xairi
12.23.2011 , 07:25 PM | #7
The assassin actually doesn't heal. The healing tree you are speaking of belongs to the sorc advance class. Operatives on the other hand have a healing tree besides the other two melee dps tree.

Caelrie
12.23.2011 , 07:29 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MaGicBush View Post
Thanks for the replies, so what's the difference between the assassin and a operative besides they have a healing tree? They both stealth and have melee abilities, so confused on the difference there.

This is a hard decision though, can't decide what class to re-roll since non really seem to fit my favorite playstyle. As far as healing goes, which class is the best at it or are they pretty on par?
Assassins can't heal? That seems like the obvious difference...

Jooji
12.23.2011 , 08:22 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by KahnyaGnorc View Post
No melee healers, but Sage/Sorc have some ways to open up from melee, and Commando/BH-healers have heavy armor and abilities usable in close range.
You apparently haven't played an operative. We're definitely melee healers. That isn't to say our primary role is both at the same time, but as an Op healer in warzones I have to use my melee abilities if I'm going to get the dps medals(shiv, backstab, hidden strike).

Oh, and the rogue spec is pretty fun as well. I feel like the damage is a bit under-tuned, but the opener wrecks people Acid blade->hidden strike->backstab->shiv->laceration=amazing opener kinda like a rogue's in WoW

MaGicBush
12.23.2011 , 10:58 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jooji View Post
You apparently haven't played an operative. We're definitely melee healers. That isn't to say our primary role is both at the same time, but as an Op healer in warzones I have to use my melee abilities if I'm going to get the dps medals(shiv, backstab, hidden strike).

Oh, and the rogue spec is pretty fun as well. I feel like the damage is a bit under-tuned, but the opener wrecks people Acid blade->hidden strike->backstab->shiv->laceration=amazing opener kinda like a rogue's in WoW
Thanks for the tip, and for the above I obviously knew assassin could not heal which is what I stated in the post above yours (I stated besides the healing tree).