Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strongholds prestige points is lame and misleading

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Strongholds
Strongholds prestige points is lame and misleading

yoomazir
08.24.2014 , 11:58 AM | #1
I try to make my SH pretty and lore coherent and only got 70k prestige points, so when I went to somebody else SH who had more than 80K prestige points, I thought he must had some pretty awesome stuff in there, right?

WRONG

All he had was tons of kolto barrels, basic lounges, mounts and some datacrons, and Bioware, you gonna tell me that dude being first in the public SH leaderboard is the way you intended Prestige points to work? Laaaaaaaaame.

AlaricSevGirl
08.24.2014 , 01:43 PM | #2
Yup, it's very stupid. I'm not going to clutter my strongholds with crap like other people are but it's designed great.
GSS Legacy, StarForged
Guild Leader for Galactic Security Solutions (Pub)
Imperial Independence (Empire)

brutall
08.24.2014 , 03:38 PM | #3
i agree they should rework it or give us option to vote on strongholds

Icestar
08.24.2014 , 05:22 PM | #4
I visited the top three strongholds on my server tonight only to check if the players had improved them.

Nop, was tons of random items everywhere and most of them in the first rooms, they have not even bothered to spread out the items....

I wonder if Bioware is aware of how much their "prestige points" mislead the players

It should be a high priority issue for them since I suspect they want to earn cash by selling items on the cartel market. If nobody cares about strongholds except for the conquestbonus (that can be obtained by filling everything with trash) this market will go down very quick.

Lets hope they catch this ball that is tumbling down the hill

siegeshot
08.24.2014 , 09:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by brutall View Post
i agree they should rework it or give us option to vote on strongholds
This! ^^^^^^^^
Guild: Cute Pink Banthas / Gravity Kills
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.
Original beta group: Squadron 367

Divona
08.24.2014 , 11:59 PM | #6
Problem is that unlocking decorations give quite significant amount of prestige compared to actually placing them in your stronghold.

The solution will be easy. The more different decorations you use the more points you get or at least furniture and special items (not mounts or walls). This is to encourage actually decorate your stronghold than just mass placing few items and getting top leaderboard with just first unlocking bonus prestige.

My server i have also visited top prestige stronghold and it is imo terrible. But hes goal is not to have unique stronghold but just to show off few items and rest is empty.
The Division Dev:
I will say this. Video games have a business side as well as the creative side. This is necessary to function and only time will tell what the future of the game is.

yoomazir
08.25.2014 , 01:48 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Divona View Post
Problem is that unlocking decorations give quite significant amount of prestige compared to actually placing them in your stronghold.

The solution will be easy. The more different decorations you use the more points you get or at least furniture and special items (not mounts or walls). This is to encourage actually decorate your stronghold than just mass placing few items and getting top leaderboard with just first unlocking bonus prestige.

My server i have also visited top prestige stronghold and it is imo terrible. But hes goal is not to have unique stronghold but just to show off few items and rest is empty.
No, you see, I carefully placed 50 Holographic trees ( and those didn't come cheap :-/ ) in my NS stronghold because it fitted lorewise, it think it would be not pretty/viable if I removed 49 trees just to put different random crap in order to increase the prestige points.

There must be some other way, a player vote mode comes in mind but that kind of sytsem could be abused somehow.

Divona
08.25.2014 , 03:34 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
No, you see, I carefully placed 50 Holographic trees ( and those didn't come cheap :-/ ) in my NS stronghold because it fitted lorewise, it think it would be not pretty/viable if I removed 49 trees just to put different random crap in order to increase the prestige points.

There must be some other way, a player vote mode comes in mind but that kind of sytsem could be abused somehow.
Thats exactly the issue. You bought 50 trees and filled up whole stronghold. Or buy 50 basic chair and use all them. Points given should take into account complexity. It doesnt matter if you randomly put 50 different items. It is player choice if they have no desire on plan making stronghold looking good.

Voting is no go at all. It can be abused. What can be done is that stronghold counts visits of strangers per day/month. And it will add small amount prestige. Guild members visits cant count as it can be abused aswell.
The Division Dev:
I will say this. Video games have a business side as well as the creative side. This is necessary to function and only time will tell what the future of the game is.

BrodieSolo
08.25.2014 , 08:49 AM | #9
There does need to be a different system or at least a system that runs alongside Prestige. It has been said that a voting system could be abused, but I see just filling every hook with achievement posters and basic furniture the same way. My experience of the top ranked Nar Shaddaa SHs is one of filling every hook with no consideration to anything other than showing what they have accumulated in game. I do however realise that some people are looking at Strongholds as a public show of all their achievements, sort of an art exhibition. Where as I have set mine up as a base of operations for my guild, fronted by a business which is also a front for my sideline of selling arms. As you can probably tell I am on an RP server, but that's not to say that others on different server types aren't using this approach too.

If done right a vote system could work, maybe 1 vote per account per week. That way you could revisit and see if there had been any changes, or additions which change your mind. It could also align with the weekly reset of quests and rep. This wouldn't have to replace Prestige or Completion %, but be another filter on the ranking board. That way you can search whichever criteria suits your needs best.

Any system can be abused, if I could think of the perfect one I wouldn't be sat this side of the dev wall, I'd be looking out the other way. I just feel that there needs to be another filter to give more options, and more options are good.

Feel free to tear my post apart, I just thought I'd share something I'd been discussing with others.
"Hey Chewie, do you wanna just... hang out here in space? After we hang out for a bit, do you wanna just, y'know, fly off in that direction? See if we can find anything? And hey, maybe we can find some asteroids and mine them or something, I dunno.' Yeah, me neither."

Icestar
08.25.2014 , 09:17 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Divona View Post
What can be done is that stronghold counts visits of strangers per day/month. And it will add small amount prestige. Guild members visits cant count as it can be abused aswell.
This still does not solve the misleading part of the original topic. The ones with crappy strongholds will still get alot of visitors that hopes to find a good stronghold only because it is ranked high.