Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Add Alts as Decorations please!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Strongholds
Add Alts as Decorations please!

LordArtemis
08.27.2014 , 12:49 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post
Gray? that's just as bad as holo. The main reason people wanted companions and alts in strongholds was to make it more alive and enhance lore/RPing experience, have Mako and Qyzen sip tea while discussing their latest hunting expenditions etc. Same with alts. You can't exactly "hang out" with holo alt, and holo-Mako won't be sipping tea with Qyzen.
I could see that. I suppose my concern is how it impacts the game.

I think it would make sense to have your companions walking around AND have statues of them at the same time. The statues, like any other non-moving decoration should not have a substantial impact on the servers, and would be more likely to allow your current companions to roam the stronghold.

One of the problems with roaming is that paths would have to be set, and decorations change for each person, so the path could be straight through decoration objects, which would look odd IMO.

paspinall
08.27.2014 , 05:52 PM | #12
the thing is the fact that companions other than the ones belonging to the character you are on show up in their default appearance would seem to me to show an engine limitation, and that would just cause issues with displaying alts, there is no default appearance.

thewatcheruatu
08.28.2014 , 06:22 AM | #13
The thing I don't understand is I can have up to 50 players in my stronghold, but I can't have 7 of my alts in there at any given time? It seems as though it would actually be less load on the server to clone my alts as NPCs.
Project Broken Compass | Hapan Delegation

paspinall
08.28.2014 , 08:05 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by thewatcheruatu View Post
The thing I don't understand is I can have up to 50 players in my stronghold, but I can't have 7 of my alts in there at any given time? It seems as though it would actually be less load on the server to clone my alts as NPCs.
But having 50 people isnt making the game try and access game data for a character that isnt online

thewatcheruatu
08.28.2014 , 08:07 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by paspinall View Post
But having 50 people isnt making the game try and access game data for a character that isnt online
Why is that hard? It only has to do it one time when the stronghold loads. After the NPC is created, it doesn't have to do anything else with it.

The stronghold would literally need to know nothing at all about those characters except for how they look. It doesn't need to know what classes they are. Doesn't need to know their skill trees. Doesn't need to know how much HP they have. Doesn't need to know what's in their inventories. All I'm talking about is a straight visual copy. That should be so simple. They do it on the character selection screen.

paspinall
08.28.2014 , 02:49 PM | #16
Why is that hard? It only has to do it one time when the stronghold loads. After the NPC is created, it doesn't have to do anything else with it.

The stronghold would literally need to know nothing at all about those characters except for how they look. It doesn't need to know what classes they are. Doesn't need to know their skill trees. Doesn't need to know how much HP they have. Doesn't need to know what's in their inventories. All I'm talking about is a straight visual copy. That should be so simple. They do it on the character selection screen.
Sure, 1 at a time after a load period in a field that is only loading that character.

G_Hosa_Phat
08.28.2014 , 02:57 PM | #17
Okay, but how cool would it be if you could use your alts as "training dummies"? Place them in the GSH (with all their gear and abilities and such), then when your player enters, they can interact with the alt to start a "sparring" session. A generic class AI (which is already basically in place for PvE anyway) is assigned to each class, and you can duel your own alt!

I know it'd be a "major" update, and I haven't thought it all the way through yet (like dealing with level discrepancies and such), but it would be SO SWEET!
The Starbreeze Legacy (Jung Ma) - Istarra | Alhana
Firestorm Alliance | Evil Purple Spider Monkeys

NEW GAME MODES: Field Commander | Onslaught Arenas | Capture & Command | Personal Armies
34th Degree Text Mason - Building Walls of Text Since 1997 - My Referral Link

Loc_n_lol
08.28.2014 , 06:28 PM | #18
the thing is the fact that companions other than the ones belonging to the character you are on show up in their default appearance would seem to me to show an engine limitation, and that would just cause issues with displaying alts, there is no default appearance.
Shouldn't a problem for alts, they can just show up in whatever they're actually wearing, you can already see this at work on the loading screen or on the family tree (this one in particular lets you see the character model of all of your alts while logged in any of them, so the data must be accessible enough).

The problem with companions, I think, is they're always tied to your currently logged in character, so the game doesn't know how to reach your consular's Qyzen when you're logged on your Bounty hunter for example, it doesn't even know whose companion it is.

thewatcheruatu
08.28.2014 , 08:34 PM | #19
Sure, 1 at a time after a load period in a field that is only loading that character.
I apologize, but your objection makes no sense to me.

paspinall
08.29.2014 , 04:30 PM | #20
I apologize, but your objection makes no sense to me.
when they do it on the character screen its in an enviroment specifically created for that, there is a load time even then. and all they are doing is loading the visual and a set background, not all the other stuff you would be loading in a stronghold