Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Open World Texture LOD Issues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Open World Texture LOD Issues
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ashes_Arizona
12.23.2011 , 03:46 PM | #1
LOD = Level of Detail: this is generated using mip maps in most games, using lower resolution textures that increase their resolution depending on how close you are to them. The standard mip map level is 8 mip maps per texture using DXT5 compression.

There is a serious problem with open world texture LOD for all Player Character and Non-Player Character armor. All textures for these armors outside of conversational cut scenes does not achieve 100% LOD in the open world environment. They appear to be hard clamped at 50% MIP LOD if you are using DXT5 texture compression.

Armor and outfits worn by both players and NPC's alike lack parallax map/bump/smap as well. They are simply flat textured and in some cases quite low detail, showing extreme pixelization and blur in some of the texture art.

I started noticing this in the last beta phases and did report it as an issue via the bug reporting system.

Picture of Force Champion Armor at Character Select(Approximately 75% LOD)

Image of Character in Live World Space(Approximately 50% LOD or less)

Image of my In Game Graphics Settings(Set to Max EVERYTHING)

DX Diag Information in Spoiler Tags to keep from overflowing the original post.

Spoiler

Same information sent to Customer Service via Ticket, hopefully this issue will be addressed as there is no reason armor should look like this on my computer's hardware, and there is a huge and noticable difference between live in world LOD and character selection screen LOD.

Ashes_Arizona
12.23.2011 , 03:58 PM | #2
Fast moving forums, hopefully someone from Customer Service will bump the ticket I sent in to someone that knows what to do about this.

I've already inspected the client_defaults.ini and theres nothing that can help there.

xVarthx
12.23.2011 , 05:15 PM | #3
bump?

NorthernHaze
12.23.2011 , 05:15 PM | #4
bump cause id like this fixed too i have the same problem

Ashes_Arizona
12.23.2011 , 05:31 PM | #5
Additional Information:

Setting Character Detail to Low refreshes the client and the armor looks the same, setting it back to High, the armor looks the same.

Switching from High to Medium texture resolution does not refresh the client graphics at all, setting from High to Low does, but the armor looks the same, setting from Low to High, refreshes the client again, but the armor continues to look like...well...crap.

If you're clamping MIP Map resolution to try to help performance, at least own up to it BioWare.

Angelshooter
12.23.2011 , 05:48 PM | #6
Exact same problem here. There seems to be a number of posts on this issue, yet I have yet to see bioware comment on the problem. We are paying customers and this issue is gamebreaking (at least for me) although I love the gameplay/story etc but the hideous graphics are killing the vibe...

Ashes_Arizona
12.23.2011 , 07:33 PM | #7
I just created a custom Nvidia profile for TOR in an attempt to force it to use my hardware capabilities. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Waiting in the queue at the moment though....hurrah for being assigned to the busiest US server there is.

Ashes_Arizona
12.23.2011 , 07:43 PM | #8
Okay even with a custom Nvidia profile for swtor.exe which is attempting to force it to use the higher capabilities my card offers the mip LOD issue persists with texture layer based armor meshes.

Any actual object based armor piece such as the Rigid Flex Chest Guard, actually looks fairly detailed or the Flex Heavy Headguard do not suffer any texture map degradation.

This appears isolated completely to texture mesh layer based armors and not mesh objects.

Viitto
12.23.2011 , 08:02 PM | #9 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashes_Arizona View Post
Okay even with a custom Nvidia profile for swtor.exe which is attempting to force it to use the higher capabilities my card offers the mip LOD issue persists with texture layer based armor meshes.

Any actual object based armor piece such as the Rigid Flex Chest Guard, actually looks fairly detailed or the Flex Heavy Headguard do not suffer any texture map degradation.

This appears isolated completely to texture mesh layer based armors and not mesh objects.
Greetings Ashes_Arizona

I am sorry to hear that you are having texture issues with Star Wars The Old Republic.

Can you confirm that you have all your drivers up-to-date?

Ashes_Arizona
12.23.2011 , 08:06 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by J1-D1 View Post
Greetings Ashes_Arizona

I am sorry to hear that you are having texture issues with Star Wars The Old Republic.

Can you confirm that you have all your drivers up-to-date?
Yes I'm currently running the latest WHQL Certified Nvidia Drivers, as shown in my DX Diag which is the 285.62 version. There is a 290.53 beta driver, but I don't generally install beta drivers.