Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Class Idea I'd like to share!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New Class Idea I'd like to share!

muchojedi
08.22.2014 , 02:03 AM | #1
So downloading new patch and I sat there thinking SWTOR needs new classes.
Here is an idea I got from playing other MMOs and it's totally able to fit into the the Old republic lore.
.....Summoners....
let me explain.
I'm talking about a class that brings out supports to help them in the fight.
I know everyone who has played other MMOs knows what I'm talking about.
So here is how I thought it could fit into the TOR world.

Republic side.
-An ENGINEER who can somehow (up to the developers to figure out) ask for aid from droids (healing droids or attacking droids - just an idea). Of course he/she will have some abilities but for a short amount of time there will be droid(s) helping he/she in the fight.

Empire side.
- A BEAST TAMER who uses his/her force manipulation powers to control beast and call upon them to assist him/her in the fight.
OR
- FORCE SUMMONER ( this one may seem a little far fetched, especially with the tor lore) who uses the force to create spirit like creatures to aid them in the fight ( got this idea from a voss quest where you had to prove yourself to the voss by entering the spirit temple thing, where it was all shiny and stuff)

TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!!!!! I think it's a pretty good idea, but don't forget this is all up for change feel free to add to this idea.....maybe the developers will take this into consideration!

Dasem
08.22.2014 , 01:14 PM | #2
No new classes will be added.

Why?

They need a whole new class. Think about that. And it's a Story-based MMO. So they'd need new class quests. A whole new story.

So they'd have to hire a voice actor, get people working on new class content, etc.

Not going to happen.

At BEST, you can hope for new Advanced Classes. But those are very unlikely.

Kaos_KidSWTOR
08.22.2014 , 01:26 PM | #3
Yea, they would need alot of time and money to sink into for a new class, Advanced Classes are a bit less time consuming but, still take time.

Instead of suggesting new classes, maybe you should suggest that Bioware fix all the bugs that are in the game and optimize the rendering engine and lack of physics engine, i really want ragdoll physics for when i kill things, specifically other players, too many games nowadays dont have simple ragdoll physics that was done in so many older games, it looks great and sometimes hilarious. anyway, we need bug fixes and optimizations, class balancing is ok for now and the next patch (2.10) is fixing some classes to be better but some (Rage Jugg and Mara, and AP PT) need fixes still.

muchojedi
08.23.2014 , 07:56 PM | #4
Ok I was hoping this thread wasn't going to be about if they're going to add more classes or not.
I was hoping for maybe "Oh that's a good idea" or "no that wouldn't because it contradicts with blah blah".
Take the time to read what I said instead of trying to use this as on opportunity to complain about EA or bioware.
Thank you very much.

Adovir
08.24.2014 , 12:09 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by muchojedi View Post
Ok I was hoping this thread wasn't going to be about if they're going to add more classes or not.
I was hoping for maybe "Oh that's a good idea" or "no that wouldn't because it contradicts with blah blah".
Take the time to read what I said instead of trying to use this as on opportunity to complain about EA or bioware.
Thank you very much.
While I would love to see more classes/adv classes in the game the one thing I see as a problem being that because the game was not designed with a support class in mind, you would have a hard time finding yourself a place in the content. While I love playing support classes in PVP they usually suck or are rediculosly OP and in PVE you have to give up 1 dps/healer/tank spot which in a game primarily designed around 8man content is just too detramental UNLESS you were very OP.

So while I like the ideas I don't think that it would work in this game. In a game such as WoW where it is based on 20-40 man content sacrificing 1 spot for a raid wide buffer/support isn't too bad because it's less of a dps/hps impact because at the end of the day in PVE it's all a matter of can you meet the minimums across all your players
Bads will be bads and i will shepherd them to their deaths

Izeith
08.24.2014 , 02:58 AM | #6
The only problem I see with your theory, to which I do agree to a point, is that you used 8 man swtor and compared it to 20-40 man wow.. 8 man is a 10 man wow.. 16 man is the 20-40... so I do see it as a possible viable class but useable only seldom, and it would have to be in 16 mans probably.

Also to the OP, as far as force creation of species and beasts.. dont forget that the Terentatek's or however they are spelled were originally created strait from Dark Side Energy... hence your summonistic powers :P

Quote: Originally Posted by Adovir View Post
While I would love to see more classes/adv classes in the game the one thing I see as a problem being that because the game was not designed with a support class in mind, you would have a hard time finding yourself a place in the content. While I love playing support classes in PVP they usually suck or are rediculosly OP and in PVE you have to give up 1 dps/healer/tank spot which in a game primarily designed around 8man content is just too detramental UNLESS you were very OP.

So while I like the ideas I don't think that it would work in this game. In a game such as WoW where it is based on 20-40 man content sacrificing 1 spot for a raid wide buffer/support isn't too bad because it's less of a dps/hps impact because at the end of the day in PVE it's all a matter of can you meet the minimums across all your players
The threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, One at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn!

Izeith
08.24.2014 , 03:04 AM | #7
A complete new class story isnt totally unthinkable, yes all the voice acting and what not would have to be hired.. but dont forget, they did that with the Makeb expansion.. 5 levels of new voiceovers. HOWEVER, Makeb was the same storyline for each faction, so it wasnt a whole LOT of new conversation. but it was new. it wouldnt be too hard to come up with a neutral class that could be either faction with 1 distinct storyline. kinda like Makeb. or 2 classes with just a new story to them. you arent creating new voiceover and acting for ALL (now 10) classes, just the new 2. so it could be possible in the future.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dasem View Post
No new classes will be added.

Why?

They need a whole new class. Think about that. And it's a Story-based MMO. So they'd need new class quests. A whole new story.

So they'd have to hire a voice actor, get people working on new class content, etc.

Not going to happen.

At BEST, you can hope for new Advanced Classes. But those are very unlikely.
The threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, One at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn!

muchojedi
08.30.2014 , 01:23 AM | #8
Ok you have obviously played another MMO in which the summoners were a support class. You need to look outside of the box, nothing says this summoner class can't be a dps/healer/tank. I'm not going into detail on how they would do it but it is DEFINITELY possible. So there would not be a need to sacrifice anyone in PVE. Look at this as whole new idea, not based off other MMOs

Quote: Originally Posted by Adovir View Post

muchojedi
08.30.2014 , 01:25 AM | #9
AAHH! You are a genius sir! I was a little skeptical about the creature summoning but that just made it soooo much better! Like, it makes me want this to happen even more....

Quote: Originally Posted by Izeith View Post
The only problem I see with your theory, to which I do agree to a point, is that you used 8 man swtor and compared it to 20-40 man wow.. 8 man is a 10 man wow.. 16 man is the 20-40... so I do see it as a possible viable class but useable only seldom, and it would have to be in 16 mans probably.

Also to the OP, as far as force creation of species and beasts.. dont forget that the Terentatek's or however they are spelled were originally created strait from Dark Side Energy... hence your summonistic powers :P

Dasem
08.30.2014 , 08:16 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by muchojedi View Post
Thank you very much.
An acknowledgement and acceptance of business =/= Complaining about EA / BioWare.