Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sitting on chairs and other furniture

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Strongholds
Sitting on chairs and other furniture

SharraShimada
08.21.2014 , 03:38 AM | #1
First of all: Yes i know, there is a "chair" command. But you have to adjust the position manually, which is really annoying, because you never sit on an object like it should be.

Would it really that hard for Bioware to hardcode sitting-points for furniture? Not only for simple chairs but also for beds and other stuff, you can normaly use that way.

I mean, its housing. You are supposed to "live" there, but you canīt even use the furniture in any way.

I really hope there will be a patch to this.

Lurtzello
08.21.2014 , 03:59 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by SharraShimada View Post
Would it really that hard for Bioware to hardcode sitting-points for furniture?
Considering that it's a feature that has been asked for years, yes it probably is hard to do so. Or, more likely, a very time consuming task.

discbox
08.21.2014 , 05:16 AM | #3
Chair the air.

Bad thing: you have to aim the chair.

Good thing: you can sit on other players Treek and Blizz.

mazterblade
08.21.2014 , 06:46 AM | #4
agreed c'mon bioware get it done!

Icestar
08.21.2014 , 06:50 AM | #5
Yes, especially when many players come and visit the stronghold.

Glzmo
08.21.2014 , 10:08 AM | #6
Sadly, BiowarEA never really cared for the wants and needs of social/roleplayers (the original Bioware devs that worked on the game did it more). They prioritize every other aspect before roleplay and socializing tools. That's why we still don't have things like chat bubbles, chairs that can be properly sat on, they randomly remove emotes in patches and more.
And if they do implement things that we crave for, they only do it half-heartedly and with the aim to milk us for cartel coins (see Appearance Designer kiosk, new clothing, emotes, etc. from the Cartel Market and random cartel packs, Strongholds).
But enough of the rant.

Here are some of the problems with the current lazy workaround called /chair emote, and potential solutions:
  • It has three different random animations, which means you need to try multiple times to get the one you want.
    Potential Solution A: Add the proper click-sit action to each chair, chouch etc., as they are synchronized with server/client and you sit exactly right for each chair.
    Potential Solution B: Split the emote up into /chair, /chairthink, /chairrecline (or something along the lines). This will give each animation a distinct command and get rid of the randomness.

• Due to the dumb way the game handles emotes, the animation is randomly set on each client. This means it isn't synchronized and each player may see you sitting in a different animation on their screen than you do on your screen (same problem has existed with dances that have multiple random animations like /style forever).
    Potential Solution A: Add the proper click-sit action to each chair, chouch etc., as they are synchronized with server/client and you sit exactly right for each chair.
    Potential Solution B: Split the emote up into /chair, /chairthink, /chairrecline (or something along the lines). This will give each animation a distinct command and get rid of the randomness.
    Potential Solution C: Synchronize client animations with the server and all clients, just like other MMORPGs do or did it (Star Wars Galaxies, for example). Make sure to do it with all existing animations as well, as the problem is present with all of them.

• Because of the dumb way the game handles emotes, you only see people using the emote (in this case, sitting), if your character was close enough when the emote was executed. If you were further away or logged in later and came there, you just see "sitting" characters standing around like idiots.
    Potential Solution C: Synchronize client animations with the server and all clients, just like other MMORPGs do or did it (Star Wars Galaxies, for example). Make sure to do it with all existing animations as well, as the problem is present with all of them.

• Due to the collision chairs have, it's impossible to sit on a chair properly, especially if it's close to a table, console or other object. You usually end up either "floating" higher in the air or on the edge of the seat without a way to full and properly sit on it.
    Potential Solution D: Remove collision from chairs, couches, benches and other objects (but that would probably take just as much work as adding the sit-click property, which would be much preferable).

In a nutshell, adding the property to click on a chairs, couches and other (stronghold-) seating and sit on it would solve all the problems with stronghold seating mentioned above and would likely be the best solution for our woes. Heck, get an intern to do it (and add the click-sit property to chairs in the world as well, while you're at it).

Quote: Originally Posted by Lurtzello View Post
Considering that it's a feature that has been asked for years, yes it probably is hard to do so. Or, more likely, a very time consuming task.
it isn't that hard to do so. They have the tools. If they only put it on priority, it could be done. The only thing they said about the topic was that they got the technology to add it too late for launch and retroactively patching all existing chairs in the game would be too much work for them, thus they only patched the starship chairs and some cantina stools, promising to add the sitting property to more new chairs later (of course, one more broken promise...). There is really no reason to not add it to all stronghold seating at least, unless you count lazyness/priorities/cluelesness of the current devs (Hint for devs: might be a good idea to contact the dev that worked on the starship chairs on how to do it or read her/his documentation on the subject).

HunterGriff
08.21.2014 , 10:39 AM | #7
honestly i just use the existing chair emotes Not the new one, but chair 1, 2, 3, etc.

DarthUmbro
04.06.2015 , 09:45 PM | #8
The only way to get this done is to gather enough people and complain enough times to the actual email of these guys to get them to finally succumb. So far all I can imagine is that every post anyone makes a complaint on they just skim over and chuckle as it doesn't really annoy them. Everyone is still playing the game, and everything else is working so they don't give a ****.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me.

PavSalco
04.07.2015 , 03:12 AM | #9
Too much time consuming + no profit from the change = not going to happen

I don't have a problem with adjusting my position. All chairs are fine with it. Most benches and beds are good with it too.
Not a subscriber, just a referral
$15 for a monthly 1 hour single player ain't worth it

Master_Neaj
04.08.2015 , 10:51 AM | #10
What about the "/sit" command???
7 Day FREE Subscription + Feel free to use & free stuff----->
REFERRAL LINK
http://www.swtor.com/r/zFw74S
Skywolf Legacyon all Servers.. (US and EU)
YouTube Strongholds Tour page