Wonderful Open World PVP!

VarekRayth

Well actually, I watched you rotate, it was pretty bad mate.

Ehh, I wasn't putting any effort into it - with your five healers, what's the point of even really trying?

Also, wasn't my idea to pull it that way; I was just kinda along for the ride at that point.

*Grabs the popcorn*

I'd love to know what the correct way to pull that guy is . . . you know. . . just in case. ;)

There's really no rule about flagging to pull it one way or another, just as there's really no rule against healing Imperial NPCs to prevent Republic players from killing them. For me personally, it was the most fun I've had since the first Gree Event; enticing frustrated players trying to kill an NPC to flag and slaughtering a group three times our size.

Hopefully more of the same in the future.

Edited by Halstadt

Oooh so did they end up getting flagged and killed then?

Someone from Freedom Warriors asked us (Saberwing) to come help chase off imps who were healing a commander last night. At first we were all "Yay! OWPVP We're IN!" until we found out that they hadn't even bothered getting flagged - at which point there was a chorus of eyerolling and "whatevers" and LOLs. I gotta admit that I'm curious about how that all turned out.

Edited by Prisoner

Oooh so did they end up getting flagged and killed then?

Someone from Freedom Warriors asked us (Saberwing) to come help chase off imps who were healing a commander last night. At first we were all "Yay! OWPVP We're IN!" until we found out that they hadn't even bothered getting flagged - at which point there was a chorus of eyerolling and "whatevers" and LOLs. I gotta admit that I'm curious about how that all turned out.

That is a wonderfully accurate assessment of the situation. It almost worked, if it wasn't for that accidental flagging that got them all slaughtered!

That is a wonderfully accurate assessment of the situation. It almost worked, if it wasn't for that accidental flagging that got them all slaughtered!

Was it accidental? I thought it was overconfidence, they had a couple of us low down the hill and the commander at 35%.

Is killing a group that's both engaged in a difficult NPC fight and not wearing PvP gear really much of an accomplishment beyond just pissing people off? :p

I like that BW is trying to spur OWPvP, but their implementation leaves a bit to be desired. It would have to be a pretty huge group to be able to survive both the Commander and his entourage in addition to a group of opposite faction players. You basically have to hope that nobody is guarding it or your chances are basically zero. Maybe the crafted invasion forces should allow you to spawn a similar NPC entourage that keeps enemy players equally occupied.

Edited by ML_DoubleTap

Is killing a group that's both engaged in a difficult NPC fight and not wearing PvP gear really much of an accomplishment beyond just pissing people off? :p

I like that BW is trying to spur OWPvP, but their implementation leaves a bit to be desired. It would have to be a pretty huge group to be able to survive both the Commander and his entourage in addition to a group of opposite faction players. You basically have to hope that nobody is guarding it or your chances are basically zero. Maybe the crafted invasion forces should allow you to spawn a similar NPC entourage that keeps enemy players equally occupied.

A) It's not really a difficult fight.

B) There was 20-30 of them between the three guilds and nine of us.

C) One of their groups of 9 or so was PVP geared.

Our group later killed the Rep commander in almost entirely PVP gear and would have welcomed some Rep players to make it interesting. The boss dies really fast even in PVP gear.

Difficult in what way? With the current tier of gear, you only need 1 moderately geared tank and 2 healers to defeat the commander. If you can't defeat 1 NPC that maxes out at 10k strikes before mitigation with upwards of 20 players, then the game should not be rewarding you for "conquering" anything at all. I would love for people who are attacking the base to be able to summon NPCs as well, if it forces them to flag.

Edited by Halstadt

I had the exact same thought, until we killed it. If you do go up against another guild whilst trying to kill the NPC, you definitely need to bring some numbers though. Most people (gear/skill considered, of course) will need a 4+ man group dedicated to the NPC, and the rest is dependent on who is defending. The main factor is the insanely quick respawn time for the defenders, in the example we had last night, you literally respawn NEXT to the NPC, the second you release. There is no 'wearing' down the enemy, you just need to keep them busy whilst you kill the NPC.

The biggest problem I see is exactly what happened here, healing the NPC. Frankly, I'm thinking now that attacking the NPC should force-flag you, and you shouldn't be able to heal the NPC. That way, anyone who attacks the NPC is fair game for defenders, but you can't keep the NPC alive for almost two hours, like we did, until we killed it..

Difficult in what way? With the current tier of gear, you only need 1 moderately geared tank and 2 healers to defeat the commander. If you can't defeat 1 NPC that maxes out at 10k strikes before mitigation with upwards of 20 players, then the game should not be rewarding you for "conquering" anything at all. I would love for people who are attacking the base to be able to summon NPCs as well, if it forces them to flag.

Burning through 3.6mil health on a static target is hard m8! #DummyParsing4Lyfe

We actually brought it down to two healers at one point, and those 2 healers were able to sustain the boss through the damage.

To anybody who QQ'd and whined about the Commanders being defended,

Trying to pull a boss that's nestled inside a zone that automatically flags you for PvP while avoiding said flag is beyond pathetic. Even on the Dev stream when they introduced the Commanders, they charged right in and got flagged while trying to kill the boss. That right there is the "right" way to do it. It's meant to be a large open world PvP fight that motivates people to rally around an objective to either attack/defend.

If you're trying to abuse the way terrain/pathing is scripted in order to avoid a key mechanic, then, IMO, you're an EXPLOITER! It's just like exploiting NiM Nefra for implants by one or 2 manning it, which is also incredibly pathetic. It's amazing how whiny and entitled players are and how much they stamp their feet like spoiled children if people stop them from exploiting.

The fact that some of the butthurt Republic players typed that we were being reported for griefing/exploiting as we were healing the NPC makes me lose respect with regards to attitude and skill level of those involved. Seriously, if you wanted to stop that from happening, flag up, wreck the defenders, and then slaughter the boss. Anybody that was upset was just pissy they couldn't have it their way. I am definitely one of the most try hard PvErs on the server, so this isn't coming from any PvP high horse.

Edited by Headpunch

For me, this was all about the principle of the matter. Nemesis may be way behind on the leaderboard compared to the big guilds, but we were able to successfully defend our Imp commander last night in the face of a much larger force. I had a blast doing something that made sense for my character and wasn't just an another instanced thing. When the dust settled I got an achievement for 100 player kills on Alderaan so I'd say it was a good night :D

A) It's not really a difficult fight.

B) There was 20-30 of them between the three guilds and nine of us.

C) One of their groups of 9 or so was PVP geared.

Our group later killed the Rep commander in almost entirely PVP gear and would have welcomed some Rep players to make it interesting. The boss dies really fast even in PVP gear.

Wasn't talking about this particular situation as I have no idea what happened or who was there. I was more talking in the generality of the system. Group of 10 perfectly capable players go attack a commander and a smaller group of say 5 from the opposite faction want to defend. With the ability for the 5 to spawn basically within leap range of the fight there is a very small chance the larger invading group is going to win as their members spawn a considerable distance away. Slowly chipping away at the invading group and healing the commander will eventually lead to victory for the defenders despite being outnumbered, or at the very least they'd be able to extend the battle indefinitely just healing the thing. I know trolling is fun and all, but do those posting honestly think they'd have a snowballs chance holding off a group of defenders of equal or even slightly less skill when they can heal the NPC and spawn directly next to it on death?

I love the attempt to get OWPvP going, but they gave the defending side far too big of an advantage IMO. If anything they should have put these new Commanders in a "neutral" location that don't have spawn points right next to them.

You know, if the Republic ops group had been flagged, you would have gotten more support from your own faction. There were another 6-8 of us from <Saberwing> on another instance of Alderran that would have loved to come and help kick <Nemesis> off of the hill (or at least... you know... try). We wouldn't even have cared about not getting the materials from the commander or the points for conquest, and letting them all go to Freedom Warriors/Republic Honor Guard. It would have been enough just to have a fun OWPVP brawl.

But when we found out that the ops group wasn't flagged and wasn't planned on getting flagged, but wanted the rest of us to come do their OWPVP for them while they took out the boss from the safety being unflagged - that's lame, my friends. Deeply lame. I was so annoyed last night that I almost logged on my op healer and offered to heal for the other side (not that y'all needed me, but it would have been amusing to witness what I am sure was quite epic QQ).

Trying to cheese the OWPVP system is just stupid. Nut up, get a group together, and go get flagged. Make some friends who like to PVP or cut a deal with one of the PVP guilds to be your guards, build a team, and go down there and wreck face. Y'all are already at the top of the leaderboards anyway. The very worst that can happen is that you spend an hour or so dying in hilarious ways.

Edited by Prisoner

Difficult wasn't really a good choice of terms I suppose. Maybe, non-trivial. It has enough health that it takes at least a couple minutes to kill and if you have a group of people healing it and picking off your party if quickly becomes difficult. Like I said it would take a considerably large group to be able to take down a Commander + even a small group of competent defenders because they get the advantage of spawning directly next to the thing and healing it as it helps deal damage. Not to mention, it's not just one NPC, but in the case of the one we killed on Quesh the other night, several, and the ones that aren't directly in the Commanders entourage respawn fairly quickly, ie the turrets and what not. So you could easily have 4-5 champion level mobs attacking while enemy players are healing them and attacking you as well.

You know, if the Republic ops group had been flagged, you would have gotten more support from your own faction. There were another 6-8 of us from <Saberwing> on another instance of Alderran that would have loved to come and help kick <Nemesis> off of the hill (or at least... you know... try). We wouldn't even have cared about not getting the materials from the commander or the points for conquest, and letting them all go to Freedom Warriors/Republic Honor Guard. It would have been enough just to have a fun OWPVP brawl.

But when we found out that the ops group wasn't flagged and wasn't planned on getting flagged, but wanted the rest of us to come do their OWPVP for them while they took out the boss from the safety being unflagged - that's lame, my friends. Deeply lame. I was so annoyed last night that I almost logged on my op healer and offered to heal for the other side (not that y'all needed me, but it would have been amusing to witness what I am sure was quite epic QQ).

Trying to cheese the OWPVP system is just stupid. Nut up, get a group together, and go get flagged. Make some friends who like to PVP or cut a deal with one of the PVP guilds to be your guards, build a team, and go down there and wreck face. Y'all are already at the top of the leaderboards anyway. The very worst that can happen is that you spend an hour or so dying in hilarious ways.

Jaxio, I <3 you

And the truth is, we really didn't even want to heal the thing. We wanted to have open world PvP. We had almost no healers at the start of it, until we discovered the Republic group's strategy (faction not the guild, at least the guild tried to fight us) was to pull him off the cliff and cheese it so as to avoid flagging at all.

There is very little for PvPers in this conquest event, even though the very name implies PvP. There's points for warzones, but the amount you get per time invested, you can easily get points faster through crafting and flashpoints. The only other thing is these conquest commanders.

Nobody is looking to troll, we're just trying to get massive open world PvP going. But if you think we're going to let a group of PvE only carebears cheese one of the only PvP conquest objectives there is, not happening. If you're complaining cause you don't have PvP gear, too bad, go get some, or go back to crafting and flashpoints. There's already enough horrible players ruining the PvP queues atm cause of the conquest system (although I do like the fast pops so its a double-edged sword).

Edited by wadecounty