Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Welcome to Game Update 2.9: Galactic Strongholds Early Access!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Welcome to Game Update 2.9: Galactic Strongholds Early Access!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Costello
08.20.2014 , 01:35 PM | #21
Do you really think that the rewards are worth the work.

Or even what is on offer for the initial 50 million payment is sufficient?

It seems that to use the two special options available with conquering the planet are too expensive to make them viable for many encounter or for many guild members. And that is on top to the incredible grind to make it to the top, of course that is if your guild is big enough to compete. Smaller guilds will have to disband and members join the big guilds if they really want to see any chance of taking a planet.

As for all the other things as part of 2.9 I feel I must be missing something. Far as I can tell it was early access of GSH which naturally will be re-hyped for 2.10, the new Flashpoint and buff to people on Makeb. Easier to list them than say lots of other features too numerous to include. Its three and then its two if you don't include early access as the official launch.

LORDxMALICE
08.20.2014 , 06:57 PM | #22
So... Strong Holds sounds pretty cool, except since the update my launcher reads "Installing: 100%" and "complete" however will not launch and the "PLAY" button is shaded grey and unclickable . Anyone else having that issue?
{}[}{{{{{()[]()}}}}}{]>{}==============================
"NO MERCY WILL BE SHOWN... ALL JEDI SHALL FALL..."
-LORD MALICE, Dark Lord of the Sith

Msackfield
08.20.2014 , 07:09 PM | #23
I saw complaints of the lack of being able to sleep and sit on their furniture. There's actually 2 new emotes that have been added, /sleep and /chair. Though I must confess, /faint and /Tihaar (and others) are broken. Just thought I'd point that out if no one noticed.
Denahya | Sage Healer
Records thread | Referral Link.

Deewe
08.20.2014 , 07:11 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Producer Jack Wood View Post

Galactic Strongholds fulfills your dreams of owning your own home in the Star Wars™ universe, establishing your own Guild Headquarters in one of our four Stronghold locations, or conquering the galaxy in a formidable Guild Flagship!
Why not, sounds nice.

We wanted to provide our players the choice of living in some of the most desirable locations available, each having an iconic look and feel. When you first arrive in your new Stronghold you will notice how each detail within your Stronghold perfectly fits the appropriate thematic feel of the corresponding planet where it is found.
Seems to me you achieved this goal.

One thing though, not everyone is fond of huge mansions, as such option for smaller less flashy housing would be nice.

From there, we wanted to make sure that decorating your Stronghold would be easy, intuitive, and most importantly fun!
In all fairness you got like 40% of the above.

The system isn't that intuitive and very limited in a way removing most of the fun.

It's more cumbersome than a free placement one, needs more clicks, is less precise for setting items, has less possibilities and does not even prevent collision issues.

Previewing items isn't good as one has to click on an item to actually see it. Also needing to actually go through menus, sub menus and lists isn't convenient either.

There are an incredible amount of decorations available and all kinds of ways to get them. Everything from crafting to in-game vendors, Operations and Flashpoints will give you the chance to find new and exciting items with which to fill your Stronghold.
The issue being very few of the decorations are easily available regarding the price either in CC ($$), mats, tokens or grind. So for more casual players it'll be hard to fill the strongholds and it will hinder the eventual appeal eventually making it a niche.

A huge empty Stronghold or a Stronghold with locked doors does not looks nice for anyone.

For the first time, Guilds also have a place to call their own. Guilds can establish their Headquarters in a Guild owned Stronghold or they can also choose to purchase a massive Flagship, which provides your Guild not only a true meeting place to gather, but now a way invade a planet and compete against other Guilds for total domination! Exactly how do I conquer a planet, you say? Conquests! Conquests are based on weekly objectives wrapped in a variety of themes that give you new incentive to visit familiar places. Some of these objectives will require a well-rounded group to complete whereas others can be done by yourself. Once you complete an objective, you will earn points towards your Conquest goal both on an individual basis, which helps you earn personal rewards, but also towards your Guild score and help your Guild climb the leaderboard. The Guild in the top spot at the end of the week will conquer the planet they have invaded and will be rewarded with special perks while on that planet. If your Guild does manage to conquer a planet, anyone who visits while under your control will know exactly who came out on top!
Maybe it was not intended but the system already started destroying smaller guilds.

Guilds are disbanding and most won't be anymore a gathering of players for social reasons but for XP, conquests and so. It will hurt the game for sure.

We believe that this digital expansion provides something for everyone. You may wish to just sit back and relax in your personal Stronghold, basking in the glory of past achievements or add to your collection by crafting, exploring, battling or perusing the market. Or you may choose to hyperspace across the galaxy with guild mates, both old and new, and take on the risky prospect of battling our new Commanders, found deep within enemy territory. This particular feature gives a whole new meaning to open world PvP and will certainly give your guild a reason to create strategies and weigh risk versus reward.
First let's mention that people really interested in housing are not targeted with this feature as it's not up as what can be found in others MMO.

Then for the people that don't care about it, they will mostly use the travel hub and Legacy Storage, plus the convenience to have all the facilities in the same spot (GTN, mail, storage, etc.)

For the others they might spend some time with it but mostly, as with the space shooter, they'll either get bored or will be disappointed when they'll want more of it as starting to liking it.

There’s still plenty more included in this expansion that I haven’t scratched the surface on, such as our new tactical Flashpoint, Depths of Manaan, and much more. We are incredibly excited to bring you Galactic Strongholds and can’t wait to see you in game!
New FP is nice but would really read more about the "much more", care to expand on that please?

KastiusMastius
08.21.2014 , 02:32 PM | #25
Yes thx for the new patch that DOES NOT EVEN WORK!!
Yesterday before the so called "fix" everything was working fine, didn't even know there where any bugs untill i saw that maintenance message appearing ingame.
i'm still downloading the patch ever sinds the servers came back online and the text above the download bar say's "minimum download in progress" and it seems to just hold at 90,13%.
Tryed unďnstalling the game but won't let me then i get an error saying "unable to download external IU" or something like that.
Last thing i tryd was to just restore the computer with 1 of those restore points but it seems i still keep hovering on that 90,13%.
If anyone has desame problem or if anyone know's what should be done, let me know.
Would be nice to get the game working again :-)

Miklum
08.21.2014 , 02:40 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by KastiusMastius View Post
i'm still downloading the patch ever sinds the servers came back online and the text above the download bar say's "minimum download in progress" and it seems to just hold at 90,13%.
I'm having the same trouble - installing is stuck at 97.99%

KastiusMastius
08.21.2014 , 03:00 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Miklum View Post
I'm having the same trouble - installing is stuck at 97.99%
Ya i guess that there many people with the same problem but i haven't found any posts of this problem anywhere yet so they are either just waiting for a solution or just sleeping :-)
anyway i hope the solution comes very soon, i'm bored here now lol

Lansirlot
08.21.2014 , 07:34 PM | #28
Was working fine before the "fix" now I get "Unable to retrieve patch data. Please check network connection (311)"

Well, internet is working fine, I can do everything else. What gives?

JohnEConnor
08.21.2014 , 08:57 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Lansirlot View Post
Was working fine before the "fix" now I get "Unable to retrieve patch data. Please check network connection (311)"

Well, internet is working fine, I can do everything else. What gives?
Some problems here for me. Please help. Very un-happy Subscriber.

VAF_Vyperion
08.22.2014 , 01:26 AM | #30
Hi not a bad start but I have a few Observations/Question , I bought my "Stronghold" and furnished it with what was avaliable how ever :
1.) Why the exubrant costs to expand ??
2.) Why are the Global Unlock's you have for your Legacy NOT avaliable in youre strong hold ??
3.) Furnishing method needs a serious bit of refinement as placing your items is not very friendly or easy.
4.) Why cant you use other forms of currency like the Planetary Commendations etc to purchase Items, bloody stupid that once you reach your cap you loose any additionals as once you have what you need you cantr transfer or use your commendations.
5.) More interaction with your furnature in your stronghold would be fantastic.
6.) If I have 1 stronghold for my legacy I have to place EVERY companion for EVERY character on a different spot - SERIOUSLY DAFT.
7.) It is nice to get free goodies for your characters for your stronghold but does it all have to be the same?

Any way my 2 cents worth.