Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Huge misstep in lore and life of the product *****spoiler****

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Huge misstep in lore and life of the product *****spoiler****

Vorthaine
08.18.2014 , 11:13 AM | #1
killing off darth malgus was a dumb decision, you guys needed to leverage a good raid boss and do lots of forshadowing to keep players excited for what's to come. Also don't announce another expansion without a cgi trailer attached to it, it's just getting sad. Show you care about the lore and where the story is going and give us a good villian to hate.

Darth_Wicked
08.18.2014 , 11:18 AM | #2
He served his purpose already. If you can't see it, then you must have missed something.

Tsillah
08.18.2014 , 11:19 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Vorthaine View Post
killing off darth malgus was a dumb decision, you guys needed to leverage a good raid boss and do lots of forshadowing to keep players excited for what's to come. Also don't announce another expansion without a cgi trailer attached to it, it's just getting sad. Show you care about the lore and where the story is going and give us a good villian to hate.
Nope it was a great decision. Darth Malgus was a lame *** Sith with lame quotes. He's best forgotten. The Dread Masters were much cooler and now we'll get a new direction of story with another villain.

So sorry, different opinion.
The general forum, where small voices become big and small numbers become majorities

jedip_enguin
08.18.2014 , 11:30 AM | #4
I liked Malgus and was surprised he went out quite as early as he did, but really he was just another goon with a bit more backstory.
Dat referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

Kremsau
08.18.2014 , 11:38 AM | #5
killing off darth malgus was a dumb decision, you guys needed to leverage a good raid boss and do lots of forshadowing to keep players excited for what's to come.
While it's very clear what you're talking about with Malgus (him being the face of the Empire) I think BioWare has been laying the groundwork for the next big-baddie. While it's more subtle than the AMAZING CGI videos released initially, it's certainly kept me excited for the future.

I think your qualms are more-so with the marketing of the game. These Dev blogs are great for us, us being the checkers of the forums, but you'd have to be fairly involved to catch wind of new FP locations. Reading a page of text isn't as appealing as a minute-long video of intense fight scenes.

Personally, I think BW made a great decision to revisit popular destinations of KoTOR. The images of these planets will stimulate the desire to play and explore the planets we'd already fallen in love with.
Harbinger:
Kremsau - 60 Sentinel & Ergus - 47 Vanguard
Kodamy - 60 Sniper & Maalis - 31 Sith Warrior

DarthDymond
08.18.2014 , 11:49 AM | #6
Killing off Malgus wasn't a mistake - it gave a nice finality to the arc that was set up with him, a good capstone to the game at release, and showed that the game isn't all about drawing out the status quo the way some are.

The problem, though, is that none of the subsequent villains have been anywhere near as interesting. I agree with OP they need to do more proper building up. And I'm hopeful that they're getting that right with Forged Alliances.

The Dread War Arc was spread out for over a year, but the Dread Masters only just started being given distinct personalities in the very last entry, on Oricon (and really only in Dread Fortress & Palace). If they had gotten the amount of "character development" (such as it was) that we saw in DF/DP back in Terror From Beyond instead, and then been further fleshed out as villains over the course of Section X, Scum and Villiany, and ultimately Oricon, then by the time we were finally taking the fight to them in the Dread Fortress and Dread Palace, it could have been far more epic than the showdown we had with Malgus at the end of The False Emperor.

I thought they actually did a fine job with Szajin over the course of Makeb, but since he was "just" a Hutt, he was kind of starting at a disadvantage (IMO) as far as being a compelling villain.

I will be really interested to see how things develop with this new threat over the course of Forged Alliances, but I think they are actually off to a decent start as of the end of Part I (I've been trying to stay spoiler-free on the actual conversations, etc. so no idea how things progress on Manaan and beyond.)
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Darth_Wicked
08.18.2014 , 11:59 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Killing off Malgus wasn't a mistake - it gave a nice finality to the arc that was set up with him, a good capstone to the game at release, and showed that the game isn't all about drawing out the status quo the way some are.

The problem, though, is that none of the subsequent villains have been anywhere near as interesting. I agree with OP they need to do more proper building up. And I'm hopeful that they're getting that right with Forged Alliances. (...)
The thing is that not even Malgus was that well developed in this game, outside the briefings and debriefings for each flashpoint he provided, Empire side. Most of the lore surrounding him came from this and this.

Now I ask: How many people read those? Especially the latter?

He only became remotely and truly interesting - again, assuming you ignored the above - around the time the crisis on Ilum took place. Before that, there was no actual build-up preceding it.

In other words, just like the Dread Masters, he only became pivotal and / or had a meaningful character development at the time his fall was nigh, NOT exactly before.

To be more succinct, I believe you're confusing style with substance here.

Pistols
08.18.2014 , 12:01 PM | #8
Malgus and I romanced each other.

Karkais
08.18.2014 , 12:22 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Nope it was a great decision. Darth Malgus was a lame *** Sith with lame quotes. He's best forgotten. The Dread Masters were much cooler and now we'll get a new direction of story with another villain.

So sorry, different opinion.
There has been lamer Sith, but Malgus was most likely written as an 'endgame boss' long before the game even launched. He was destined to fall. People need to get over this.

Marr is the head honcho now, although I wouldn't mind the entire dark council to address the players at some point.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

OddballEasyEight
08.18.2014 , 01:08 PM | #10
Also don't announce another expansion without a cgi trailer attached to it, it's just getting sad. Show you care about the lore and where the story is going and give us a good villian to hate.
What are you talking about?
The expansion hasn't been announced yet. There was a trailer for the RotHC expansion, so what makes you think there won't be one for this one?
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.