Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New The Old Republic Book. Any plans?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New The Old Republic Book. Any plans?

ReclaimerDonar
08.18.2014 , 07:07 AM | #1
Hey guys,

I would like to ask if there are any plans to make new book that expands the story of the game, like Fatal Alliance, Revan etc.?
The Darsten Legacy

DarthDymond
08.18.2014 , 07:14 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ReclaimerDonar View Post
Hey guys,

I would like to ask if there are any plans to make new book that expands the story of the game, like Fatal Alliance, Revan etc.?
Pretty sure all the publishing efforts going forward are going to be in the new Canon, which SWTOR is not a part of.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Alec_Fortescue
08.18.2014 , 07:58 AM | #3
I'd love new TOR book. :[ I love TOR so much.

Why did they have to ruin canon instead of going for some alternative reality, like star trek? Kenobi book was good and I loved the references to the old republic there :/

lironBD
08.18.2014 , 08:24 AM | #4
what kenobi tor ref?

link or it ain't happened.
Europe -> The Red Ecplipse
Oracans-> Sith Pureblood Inquisitor Sorcerer

http://www.swtor.com/r/NP7bNn \ Buddy invite

Aries_cz
08.18.2014 , 08:29 AM | #5
Legends stuff really does not make everything "not canon" forever and ever. Certain things can be reintroduced to the current unified canon, just like the Sith Inquisition (a group dedicated to hunting survivors of Order 66, which was part of EU) will play major part in Rebels cartoon and Ep7.
And given how reluctant BW and Lucasarts are on commenting SWTOR's status in canon, I would say they are really not sure about how to proceed, because it is still being published and updated in cooperation with LucasArts (and makes more than decent amounts of money). That means SWTOR, just like the Inquisition, could be reintroduced back into the canon.

However, more books being written ultimately depends on finding a good writer who knows the story, what happened, etc, to avoid the same mess that happened with Mass Effect Deception. And one such writer (Drew Karpyshyn) is currently busy with his own Children of Fire novels...
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Aries_cz
08.18.2014 , 08:35 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by lironBD View Post
what kenobi tor ref?

link or it ain't happened.
I think he means the "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." quote Obi-Wan has in New Hope
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Darth_Wicked
08.18.2014 , 08:40 AM | #7
Where's Paul S. Kemp when you need him?

DarthDymond
08.18.2014 , 08:42 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Where's Paul S. Kemp when you need him?
Writing Lords of the Sith, which given his good work on Deceived has me looking forward to it.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Darth_Wicked
08.18.2014 , 08:43 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
It was a rhetorical question, a segue of sorts following his work on Deceived.

TheSeventhJedi
08.18.2014 , 08:50 AM | #10
ALL Star Wars media moving forward (whether it be books, video games, comics, etc.) is going to be considered canon. If there IS an Old Republic book in the works (and I doubt it's coming any time soon,) it has to be cleared by the story group to make sure it doesn't mess up the canon. That's why the books and comics we're seeing right out of the gate fall between movies that are already out - it's easier to check your p's and q's that way.

However, any Old Republic book will have to be a "new" storyline - because the old ones are legends. (To the poster above - they did create an "alternate universe" so to speak - they just shoehorned the books into it instead of the movies. Good decision all around.)