Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Empire or Republic. And why?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Empire or Republic. And why?

Oneirophrenia
08.18.2014 , 12:43 PM | #21
Empire, because the Republic fleet station looks like a second hand purchase from the Hutts.

I have never been too keen on the Jedi Order either. No passion, no expression, no sex, no fun, inflexible and generally strike me as naive ideologues. As far as protagonists go (movies or otherwise), they have always been somewhat of a yawn fest for me. Although I have to say that playing a dark side Jedi Knight does have its... moments.

Quote: Originally Posted by Pathlight- View Post
Yeah, Nazis are so much cooler than democratic nations.
The Republic is in actuality a mixture of plutocracy, bureaucracy and totalitarian democracy (head of state is elected by the senators as opposed to the citizenry). The democratic side of the Republic is restricted to the elections of senators/representitives so it is to be taken with a grain of salt. The decentralized nature of the governance also makes it very fragile, inefficient and unwieldy in times of crisis.

The Empire on the other hand is not necessarily a fascist state. In the time of TOR, power is actually held by the Dark Council which would make it a Authoritarian (rule by a centralized group) and Kratocracy (rule by the strong) state. At other times it is a Totalitarian (more focused on a central figure that requires absolute obedience) but still Kratocracy state. Anyway, such governance structure is prone to internal power struggles and arbritrary qualifications to rule but in times of great crisis, it does tend to react quicker as well as more effectively.

LordArtemis
08.18.2014 , 12:49 PM | #22
I might have already mentioned it, but I would say Empire, if you enjoy playing an evil character. This is one of the few games where you can play a truly evil character if you wish, and in that respect Empire side has a much better set storyline than Republic does to that end.

BuriDogshin
08.18.2014 , 12:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
I prefer the Republic.

The Empire is not really a meritocracy. There are some elements of it in Sith hierarchy, but only very minor ones, and advancing usually means conspiring against and murdering your rivals..
How is that not a meritocracy?
Going Preferred January 31, 2015.

BuriDogshin
08.18.2014 , 01:07 PM | #24
It seems that on the Republic side, except for the Smuggler, your character wind up just another cog in the political machine. It's too much like RL politics to be any fun.

On the Empire side, on the other hand, except for the Bounty Hunter, your character becomes someone with a rare and very special position, a unique one in some cases, with far more apparent freedom than your Republic toons. There is a brutal honesty in Imperial politics you just don't see in the Republic.

And oddly, on Makeb,
Spoiler

That said, I tend to play mainly Light side toons, in either faction. YMMV.
Going Preferred January 31, 2015.

Aries_cz
08.18.2014 , 02:55 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by BuriDogshin View Post
How is that not a meritocracy?
I said that the Empire as a whole is not a meritocracy, and that it is only present in its most violent form among higher Sith ranks. And regular meritocracy should usually not require you to murder you master/teacher/colleague
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Darth_Wicked
08.18.2014 , 03:00 PM | #26
I said that the Empire as a whole is not a meritocracy, and that it is only present in its most violent form among higher Sith ranks. And regular meritocracy should usually not require you to murder you master/teacher/colleague
I remember seeing high-ranking officers, within Imperial Intelligence and Military, constantly plotting to either kill or remove their superiors.

On Dromund Kaas.
On Balmorra.
On Belsavis.

And possibly some other places I can't exactly remember right now.

Aries_cz
08.18.2014 , 03:09 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Oneirophrenia View Post
Empire, because the Republic fleet station looks like a second hand purchase from the Hutts.

I have never been too keen on the Jedi Order either. No passion, no expression, no sex, no fun, inflexible and generally strike me as naive ideologues. As far as protagonists go (movies or otherwise), they have always been somewhat of a yawn fest for me. Although I have to say that playing a dark side Jedi Knight does have its... moments.

The Republic is in actuality a mixture of plutocracy, bureaucracy and totalitarian democracy (head of state is elected by the senators as opposed to the citizenry). The democratic side of the Republic is restricted to the elections of senators/representitives so it is to be taken with a grain of salt. The decentralized nature of the governance also makes it very fragile, inefficient and unwieldy in times of crisis.

The Empire on the other hand is not necessarily a fascist state. In the time of TOR, power is actually held by the Dark Council which would make it a Authoritarian (rule by a centralized group) and Kratocracy (rule by the strong) state. At other times it is a Totalitarian (more focused on a central figure that requires absolute obedience) but still Kratocracy state. Anyway, such governance structure is prone to internal power struggles and arbritrary qualifications to rule but in times of great crisis, it does tend to react quicker as well as more effectively.
Republic Fleet looks run down because at the beginning of the game, Republic is pretty much beaten down, so it reflects the situation.

Also, it seems to me that you do not really understand the Jedi. They are allowed to have passion, emotion, sex, fun, etc. Basically the only requirement is that they do not allow their attachments to cloud their judgment (so some Jedi preach the "there is no emotion" quite literally, even when it is not meant to be interpreted that literally). Hell, the Grandmaster of the Order has a secret lovechild (that she had to give away, exactly for the purpose she was afraid that she would be willing to do horrible things to protect the child).

Heads of state being elected by other elected representatives is a pretty common occurrence, and it is certainly not totalitarian. Just like US presidential candidates are not really elected by each and every citizen, but by electoral college. Also, Supreme Chancellor does not hold supreme power, most of stuff has to go through the Senate (unless the Senate allows for larger privileges, like in case of war).

Imperial rule is totalitarian in its nature. The word of Emperor is sacred and must be obeyed. If the Emperor is silent, the Dark council rules with the same authority, which is overridden only by the word of the Emperor. While this theoretically allows for quicker responses, the council has demonstrated many times that they would rather focus on internal power struggles than to achieve some common goal, even when faced with defeat.

Darth_Wicked
08.18.2014 , 03:12 PM | #28
Also, it seems to me that you do not really understand the Jedi. They are allowed to have passion, emotion, sex, fun, etc. Basically the only requirement is that they do not allow their attachments to cloud their judgment (so some Jedi preach the "there is no emotion" quite literally, even when it is not meant to be interpreted that literally). Hell, the Grandmaster of the Order has a secret lovechild (that she had to give away, exactly for the purpose she was afraid that she would be willing to do horrible things to protect the child). (...)
It seems to me you didn't play this game that much truth be told. This is simply untrue.

ABSOLUTELY untrue.

Aries_cz
08.18.2014 , 03:15 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
I remember seeing high-ranking officers, within Imperial Intelligence and Military, constantly plotting to either kill or remove their superiors.

On Dromund Kaas.
On Balmorra.
On Belsavis.

And possibly some other places I can't exactly remember right now.
Yes, but killing your superior is not really a meritocracy. It is a very degenerated form of meritocracy at best.
And if you notice, those people plotting are not really earning the position (which is what meritocracy is about), they need your help to do the job for them so that they can claim the credit. This ultimately leads to a weaker person takes the position.

Darth_Wicked
08.18.2014 , 03:17 PM | #30
Yes, but killing your superior is not really a meritocracy. It is a very degenerated form of meritocracy at best.
And if you notice, those people plotting are not really earning the position (which is what meritocracy is about), they need your help to do the job for them so that they can claim the credit. This ultimately leads to a weaker person takes the position.
You misunderstand. If I read the post below correctly...
You seem to imply that only the Sith resort to such unsavory methods. I was only trying to point out that such is not the case.

Again, individuals within Imperial Intelligence and Military wish harm upon another as well.