Soa mechanic in DP NiM Council Fight

Can someone explain how this mechanic works in terms of who it chooses? Because there are some key observations that we've made after many many hours (and a kill) of this boss, which make no sense:

1. Proximity to Calphayus clearly isn't a factor, as the furthest and closest players are not necessarily chosen. Players within 3 meters, have been chosen, as have players 50+ meters away.

2. Threat clearly isn't a factor either. Players with guards and using threat dumps get taken, as do the tanks in phase

3. when there's a zero percent chance that anyone is remotely close in threat to them.

4. Which boss is being tanked also isn't a factor, as the Calphayus tank and the Bestia tank have both been Soa'd multiple times. It seems to happen most often to the Bestia tank though, but NOT during a swap. It's usually several seconds away from any swaps that occur.

If this is an intended mechanic, that tanks can be Soa'd then it's completely moronic. If it's not intended, I'd like to know how to avoid it, or if it's purely a bug, in which case it needs to hurry up and be fixed. Although I've gotten my title, plenty of ppl haven't and the nightmare buff won't be around much longer.

The people who shouldn't get soa'd are the tank on calphayus, the tank on bestia and the kiter.

However, the tank on bestia can get soa'd if he doesn't have a stack of corruption, this means you have to be careful with swaps that occur as someone is about to get soa'd.

Kiters get soa'd if they are kiting incorrectly, people say that taking a melee hit prevents it but even then it can happen.

GL :D

Edited by invertioN

Everyone has their theories on what causes it. They all get proved wrong at some point, including most of the above that I've seen. The only person who I've never seen get Soa'd is the Calphayus tank, but maybe I've just been "lucky". Everyone else is fair game at any point, including the Bestia tank and Raptus kiter, regardless of what tricks they try. All you can do is be ready for it and have a plan in place for someone else to kite/tank a boss for a 10-15 seconds. If it doesn't happen to you during your clear, you simply got lucky. The mechanic is so horribly designed that it's actually offensive, and it's no wonder so many top teams quit the game if this is the kind of retarded crap they are going to put in fights to make them "hard". Edited by Kryand

Every person in ops can be targeted with this mechanic, with exception of:

- healers in full healing spec (being speced into either Salvation, Bacta Infusion or Kolto Cloud)

- main threat of Calphayus (if dps steals agro, tank can be pulled, so be wary)

- players with Bestia's stacks (Bestia's tank can also be occasionally pulled, as uptime of stacks is not 100%)

- being hit by Raptus's Melee Attack prevents you from being pulled for few seconds, yet if you kite properly (melee hit every 15seconds at max) you can still be pulled, very rarely though, when all timings match and you hit bad rng

Regarding post above me, first 3 of those mechanics are 100% accurate, as they have been not only proven in real fight, but also datamined. Only 4th one might be consider gimmicky

Of course, as in all other mechanics of this type in game, if boss runs out of eligible targets (only possibly in this particular fight if you do this on purpose, ex bring 2tank/6healers) boss will target a random person regardless of any limitation

Edited by Shandellon

- healers in full healing spec (being speced into either Salvation, Bacta Infusion or Kolto Cloud)

- players with Bestia's stacks (Bestia's tank can also be occasionally pulled, as uptime of stacks is not 100%)

- being hit by Raptus's Melee Attack prevents you from being pulled for few seconds, yet if you kite properly (melee hit every 15seconds at max) you can still be pulled, very rarely though, when all timings match and you hit bad rng

Regarding post above me, first 3 of those mechanics are 100% accurate, as they have been not only proven in real fight, but also datamined. Only 4th one might be consider gimmicky

Of course, as in all other mechanics of this type in game, if boss runs out of eligible targets (only possibly in this particular fight if you do this on purpose, ex bring 2tank/6healers) boss will target a random person regardless of any limitation

I have bin soa aze the bestia tank 5 sec after the nockback. It was just b4 the swap. I most defenetly had stacks from bestia. I have heard this randomness was not on the pts. That thy broke it on a patch. its in the nim tracking thread. Dont know wat version was datamined. w BW trackrecord:rak_02:

I will give you the first 2, but our Bestia tank has been Soa'd many times with stacks of Corruption. Maybe the devs tried to implement something to prevent it, but they failed. It is not 100% accurate.

on the pts, tanks could avoid (defend/parry?) attacks from bestia which placed stacks of corruption on you. They fixed this when they released it on live, but im guessing somehow, somewhere, something is still fked up? coz ive been a tank with stacks of corruption and yet been soa'd before.

I have had 1 or 2 stacks of corruption from tanking Bestia before and still get soa'd occasionally (not even during swaps). And even more frustrating when Tyrans kept pulling Bestia tanks to him, hurdurr 'my thundering blast got buffed!'

TLDR, this rng thing is getting more and more annoying. WTB old nim raids mechanic like EC/TFB or SV

I have had 1 or 2 stacks of corruption from tanking Bestia before and still get soa'd occasionally (not even during swaps). And even more frustrating when Tyrans kept pulling Bestia tanks to him, hurdurr 'my thundering blast got buffed!'

TLDR, this rng thing is getting more and more annoying. WTB old nim raids mechanic like EC/TFB or SV

Dat cuz u bad :cool::rak_01:

Well the older NiMs weren't totally devoid of RNG. NiM Styrak is still (to me) the most offensively terrible RNG in the entire game, with random knock-back resists, or even successful knocks that wipe you anyway because the game's engine is too ****** to detect it. That's not even a one-time bug either, I've seen it happen many times to many groups.

But in the end, we just have to deal with it. BW made it clear that ******** RNG is their cup of tea when they said missing interrupts on Draxus is intended.

RNG has been a pathetic excuse for this tier's Nightmare raids being all "tough". Seriously, bring back HM/NiM EC-like raids, BioWare. Dat Kephess wiping hype yo. :cool:

This.

NiM Kephess at level remains one of the most satisfying encounters in the history of the game, at least for me. There was no RNG aside from who he jumped on, which was trivially easy to handle. Well, there was also tank mitigation RNG, which for a shadow tank actually meant the difference between life or death, but…meh. No fight is without flaws.

Overall, it was a great fight. Brutally timed, varied mechanics, and high pressure on all members of the raid to fulfill every element of their role (DPS having to AoE, push single-target sustain and burst, as well as position, hit defensive cooldowns and interrupt; etc). I wish current content were close to Kephess than to NiM Warlords. :-(

Had a lovely RNG incident the other day where Tyrans teleported into Raptus's spin and instantly pulled two people, one of which was the Bestia tank, which he subsequently followed up with a Thundering Blast. Of the 6 raid members who didn't die from the spin, only 2 survived the cleave (which was directed perfectly across the center of the room). Yay…