Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is SWTOR the only......


MSchuyler's Avatar


MSchuyler
08.16.2014 , 11:53 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Doreian View Post
That explains why I could log into fleet and there would only be myself....and rarely one other person. Imagine Imp fleet all to myself. Which lies the real issue at the beginning. They opened up too many servers to account for all the people playing....then alot of people left and they had way too many servers open.
According to you. The fleet count seems to hover at 170+ players per instance and hasn't varied in three years. That BW had "too many servers" at one time does not mean "the game was dying." It means they had "too many servers." That's an example of taking a factoid and blowing it up into a major event. It's like predicting who will win the Super Bowl based on the results of the first exhibition game. (The Seahawks lost.) These folks who say, "Sorry, but you are wrong. The game was in very bad shape." are not showing any evidence. It's just part of their overall fantasy of belief taken from reading tea leaves, consulting the Oracle at Delphi (which said, "SW will undergo changes."), or paying Madam Zolar at the State Fair, who told them they had very pretty eyes.

You'll notice that even a few months ago the "game is dying" refrain was running strong. Now that it is, as I said, 'excruciatingly obvious' that is not the case, the same folks say, "Well, the game WAS dying, so I'm still right." What's driving this? The need to be right in the face of contrary evidence. The only way to pull it off is to claim they were right, but "conditions have changed." What? Makeb? The despised Cartel Market? F2P? What, you despise a ship because it adjusts its course? It would seem a prudent thing to do.

It doesn't really matter of "people have left the game." People SHOULD leave the game and leave it more often. Some people deserve Wildstar more than others, and it would be best for all concerned if they hung out there rather than here. It's right up their alley because, you know, "Wildstar is dying." The same people who complain that SW is dying are the ones who complain about lag in the game and fail to notice the contradiction.

Kunda's Avatar


Kunda
08.16.2014 , 11:57 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by psikofunkster View Post
No, you are wrong, don't know about harbinger but jedi covenant is in pretty bad shape. I'm talking specifically about Flashpoints and operations here, don't know about the other aspects of the game though.
I've had a drastically different experience since returning to JC, but I play healer, so I rarely have a wait on anything. Unless you're referring to specifically HM/NM Operations I always see groups forming. Faction issue?

psikofunkster's Avatar


psikofunkster
08.16.2014 , 12:16 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kunda View Post
I've had a drastically different experience since returning to JC, but I play healer, so I rarely have a wait on anything. Unless you're referring to specifically HM/NM Operations I always see groups forming. Faction issue?
Well in part yes, republic side has been more affected but empire is not the panacea either. So you only have 1 toon healer... .you need to play more even try to rise a dps to get the right feeling of this game currently.
Operations and flashpoints are not popping each minute like in the old times.
I mean maybe as a demanded healer you see the game in pretty good shape but it is not, at least not as good as EpickFaill is describing it lol.

Jrr_hypernova's Avatar


Jrr_hypernova
08.16.2014 , 01:52 PM | #24
fun fact did you know that the vision the oracle at delipi had were due to the fact the well water they drank was toxic?

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
08.16.2014 , 02:46 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Jrr_hypernova View Post
fun fact did you know that the vision the oracle at delipi had were due to the fact the well water they drank was toxic?
It's Delphi, Pythia didn't have visions she was supposedly possessed by Apollo and he spoke through her and lastly she didn't drink the water during the ritual she inhaled the toxic fumes from the Kerna spring - bathing and drinking the water was a different ritual - and all these are completely off topic.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

Pathlight-'s Avatar


Pathlight-
08.16.2014 , 02:56 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
It's Delphi, Pythia would inhale the toxic fumes while being consulted not drink the water - that was a different ritual for another thing) and all these are completely off topic.
Schooled.

Horacio's Avatar


Horacio
08.16.2014 , 03:16 PM | #27
Surely you jest in suggesting that flurm posters are self-righteous and hyperbolic. The story is as old as MMOs in that you cannot believe a very high percentage of what gets posted here. Players are not satisfied unless they feel the development team flies them out to their headquarters and implements every single detail to their personal satisfaction.

I took a long year + off from this game. The Star Wars bug bit me with the announcement of Episode 7 in production and I poked my head in to see what was happening. I am a subscriber and I enjoy the cartel market. I don't spend RL money but I make enough credits in game to afford most things I want from the market on the GTN, via players who are willing to spend the money.

And Strongholds? I've played them on the PTS and am incredibly impressed. So from my personal perspective, the game is great and enjoyable. My wife and I founded a guild on the Republic side this morning, in fact and intend to stick around as long as real likfe commitments permit.
Baeric - PT - DPS
Najeh - Assassin - Tank
Lugwrench - Commando - Heals

BrianDavion's Avatar


BrianDavion
08.16.2014 , 03:25 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
According to you. The fleet count seems to hover at 170+ players per instance and hasn't varied in three years. That BW had "too many servers" at one time does not mean "the game was dying." It means they had "too many servers." That's an example of taking a factoid and blowing it up into a major event. It's like predicting who will win the Super Bowl based on the results of the first exhibition game. (The Seahawks lost.) These folks who say, "Sorry, but you are wrong. The game was in very bad shape." are not showing any evidence. It's just part of their overall fantasy of belief taken from reading tea leaves, consulting the Oracle at Delphi (which said, "SW will undergo changes."), or paying Madam Zolar at the State Fair, who told them they had very pretty eyes.

You'll notice that even a few months ago the "game is dying" refrain was running strong. Now that it is, as I said, 'excruciatingly obvious' that is not the case, the same folks say, "Well, the game WAS dying, so I'm still right." What's driving this? The need to be right in the face of contrary evidence. The only way to pull it off is to claim they were right, but "conditions have changed." What? Makeb? The despised Cartel Market? F2P? What, you despise a ship because it adjusts its course? It would seem a prudent thing to do.

It doesn't really matter of "people have left the game." People SHOULD leave the game and leave it more often. Some people deserve Wildstar more than others, and it would be best for all concerned if they hung out there rather than here. It's right up their alley because, you know, "Wildstar is dying." The same people who complain that SW is dying are the ones who complain about lag in the game and fail to notice the contradiction.
too many servers seems about right, they opened up a bunch of servers after launch, which was a bad decision because everyone knew the launch population wouldn't be the stable population.

SW:TOR was so hyped by the internet everyone and their dog was trying it

Horacio's Avatar


Horacio
08.16.2014 , 03:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
too many servers seems about right, they opened up a bunch of servers after launch, which was a bad decision because everyone knew the launch population wouldn't be the stable population.

SW:TOR was so hyped by the internet everyone and their dog was trying it
Yes but even a year in with dozens of servers, Wow still had queues at peak hours. The launch was a debacle. Had SWTOR launched under those conditions, players would have fled even faster. Indeed, they made too many to begin with and because of outside RL commitments, I wasn't around for the big merger and consequently lost alot of my character's names and was plenty upset by that but I digress....

They overshot the mark but they didn't want people to be stuck in a queue and say "screw this, going to log into Wow instead"
Baeric - PT - DPS
Najeh - Assassin - Tank
Lugwrench - Commando - Heals

jedimessiah's Avatar


jedimessiah
08.16.2014 , 03:49 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
Actually, what really happened is that the game was never close to dying. They never gave out numbers. It's just that players, especially forum members, figured they were experts on game design, programming, mathematics, business development, and economics plus had the unique ability to discern the state of the game from cryptic phrases appearing in EA reports to investors or some obscure game zine that had a writer with a similar bent of believing in his ability to interpret the runes and see the future without access to any real facts.

Then it became excruciatingly obvious to even detractors that the game was actually doing well with more level-headed players pointing out the few observable statistics they were able to glean from the press, especially those who had no bone to pick with EA or BW and were just reporting the facts. The game itself has changed very little since launch, and many of the changes, e.g. The Cartel Market, were met with universal disdain by all the economics experts predicting dire ruin and lamenting "credit sinks." How dare they? But the game just kept rumbling along and now those claims of "dying off" are themselves dying off as the refrain is getting pretty frayed around the edges.

The whole issue, though perhaps exacerbated by EA's tight-lipped refusal to divulge company confidential information (something not mandated nor performed by many companies worldwide anyway), is the result ov overactive imaginations and doomsday prophecies of people already proven to immerse themselves in a complete fantasy world anyway.
Spot on. The game is basically the same with some QoL improvements and more content of course. Their only real blunder IMO was opening too many servers at launch. Which pretty much every MMO has done, just look at Wildstar.

Edit: Oh yea and they also made that other classic MMO blunder. They launched about 6 months too early. Which was obvious when you look at the fact they had KP in place but you could only do the first boss.