Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR the only......

EpickFaill
08.16.2014 , 08:26 AM | #1
Is SWTOR the only game that was on the verge of dying and begun getting better till we reached the point when today SWTOR is in the top 5 most played subscription based games and has a really stable community?Is SWTOR the only mmo one of the only mmo's who got better and got back it's player base?
Remember, we will be watching.

Moonraker
08.16.2014 , 08:54 AM | #2
I don't know if it is the only one but this game is not even close to being the same game as it was on release. The game has grown so much that I find it to be the best one around IMO. I play a few others, WoW, Wild Star, and tried out some others but, this game is the one that keeps me the most entertained.

I am looking forward to the future of the game and I hope that now that it is doing so much better that we can actually get some new classes and races other than the basic humans with recolored skins. EA/BW has made enough on this game that would should and deserve a sizable expansion. They should reward the player base because we have been loyal to them and helped make this game grow.

New advanced classes would be something to add as well. We also should have max level dailies and events on every planet to make each planet worth going back to for everyone. But that is just what I think we deserve since we have spent our hard earned money to keep this game alive. We need rewarded for our efforts.

TheNahash
08.16.2014 , 09:01 AM | #3
Didn't something similar happen with Rift as well?
I have no idea what the state of the game was (or currently is) but from what I've heard people discuss, it's better than it used to be plus it's profitable.

As for SWTOR, I'll never stop believing it went F2P way too fast. EA panicked and they did the only thing they are excellent at doing: give up. More and better content would've saved the game but it would've taken more time and investment to do that, so they chose the "easy" way of introducing a shop.
Which, by the way, if it had existed from day 1, there would've been no need for F2P.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

Comradebot
08.16.2014 , 09:06 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
Didn't something similar happen with Rift as well?
I have no idea what the state of the game was (or currently is) but from what I've heard people discuss, it's better than it used to be plus it's profitable.

As for SWTOR, I'll never stop believing it went F2P way too fast. EA panicked and they did the only thing they are excellent at doing: give up. More and better content would've saved the game but it would've taken more time and investment to do that, so they chose the "easy" way of introducing a shop.
Which, by the way, if it had existed from day 1, there would've been no need for F2P.
From what I've heard, Rift isn't faring too hot. It may be profitable, but its subscription/player numbers are a fraction of even SWTOR's, and I've heard (though can't confirm personally) that most of the servers feel "dead" in terms of folks online at any given time.
Click Here to Donate to the Barrett Greyjoy Intergalactic Zoo & Dewback Ranch™ (Referral Link)
All Cartel Coins earned from referrals will be dedicated to funding The Barrett Greyjoy Intergalactic Zoo & Dewback Ranch™, coming soon to The Shadowlands

thewitchdoctor
08.16.2014 , 09:08 AM | #5
Interesting argument. Whether EA hit the 'F2P button' too soon. On one hand, I'd agree ... but man, the game did hemorrhage players in early '12 and they did invest a LOT of money into the game. So, hard call I think on that point.

But ... what matters now, IMO at least, is how the game is NOW. Where it is going TO. And, as far as I can see, the present is good and the future is looking bright. So, I'm happy and entertained.
Good. Bad. I'm the twi'lek with the saber.

EpickFaill
08.16.2014 , 09:12 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by thewitchdoctor View Post
Interesting argument. Whether EA hit the 'F2P button' too soon. On one hand, I'd agree ... but man, the game did hemorrhage players in early '12 and they did invest a LOT of money into the game. So, hard call I think on that point.

But ... what matters now, IMO at least, is how the game is NOW. Where it is going TO. And, as far as I can see, the present is good and the future is looking bright. So, I'm happy and entertained.
totally agreeing with you.
Remember, we will be watching.

Nmyownworld
08.16.2014 , 09:19 AM | #7
SWTOR didn't just get back its player base, it attracted folks like me -- Star Wars fans who never played an MMO. I've learned a lot about MMOs playing SWTOR, but I'm still not interested in playing another MMO. I want to wander the galaxy fighting for, or against, the Republic or the Empire.

Being Star Wars, and F2P, got me curious enough to try the game. No $$$ cost. The class stories, the graphics, the music, the XS Freighter -- the well done Star Wars of it all got me to stay, and subscribe.

Which reminds me ...

Dear BW,

Sorry about the frustration-fueled nerd rage emails I sent you while I was learning to play. Bygones.

XXOO

Nmyownworld

Pathlight-
08.16.2014 , 10:10 AM | #8
The game is definitely doing well and came back from the brink which is completely deserved as BW did mostly very good work on the game. FFXIV is also a historic turnaround for any MMO.

I am also quite satisfied to see games such as Wildstar or GW2 which are hyped to the heavens by Swtor haters before they come out and turn out to be marginal at best in terms of player retention and impact on Swtor.

Hopefully, the game keeps getting better and attracting more people.

psikofunkster
08.16.2014 , 10:15 AM | #9
Stable community? what's that irony?

Don't know how the game is doing financially but it is on a pretty bad state regarding pve period.

yes it is pretty full of newbies who can't complete an operation but i think they'll return to school this month so lets see next tuesday regarding strongholds but dont have too much hope.

Pietrastor
08.16.2014 , 10:16 AM | #10
The 'title' goes to FFXIV, then LOTRO then maybe TOR. Speaking in terms of 'general awareness of the turnaround', everyone knows FFXIV made a big comeback (regardless if the numbers are down since then) and most know about LOTRO, TOR is just getting started with its turnaround message, EA's doing crappy job promoting it TBH. All about perception, regardless how incompetent Squeenix is with every other game, they did a brilliant PR job presenting A Real Reborn as a mega suuccess story