Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

They need to change the 25 NPC limit now rather than later.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
They need to change the 25 NPC limit now rather than later.

Oldsailor
08.16.2014 , 07:05 AM | #1
From SWTOR Gamescom 2014

The 25 NPC decoration restriction is very likely put in to improve performance, but they did not know for sure. Also, they said that it is possible they may raise this limit in the future if they find the servers can handle it.

So to improve proformance, why not change the limit of folks visiting your stronghold instead. Realistically how many friends in game does the typical player have outside his guild? Cut down the number of visitors to a couple dozen to personal strongholds, but keep 25 NPC limit for Guild Strongholds/Guild ships if performance is an issue.

Ask around, I'm sure most players would agree.

paspinall
08.16.2014 , 02:33 PM | #2
Just what does the server need to "handle" the npc rendering is done on our end anyway.

Versath
08.16.2014 , 05:09 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by paspinall View Post
Just what does the server need to "handle" the npc rendering is done on our end anyway.
There is much more to placing an NPC rather then just rendering.

Damask_Rose
08.16.2014 , 07:30 PM | #4
Hopefully they'll get it worked out soon. No one was having trouble with massive pet collections on the PTS, so the limit was quite a nasty surprise when it got implemented. The two features I was most looking forward too have been largely ruined. (Showing off my pet collection and having legacy companions grouped together.)

hooty
08.16.2014 , 08:18 PM | #5
I'm sure they'll up the limit when/if they can. Obviously people want to display their stuff It may take some time though. I'd much rather they kill as many bugs as possible 1st, before trying to optimize stuff that's essentially "working". If need be I can choose a "top 25" NPCs and deal with it for the short term.
Tabris Legacy @ The Ebon Hawk
Yes, it is SW(KO)TOR. I like it that way, except when I don't.

MaximusRex
08.16.2014 , 09:44 PM | #6
I'd rather them raise it later then raise it now and have to lower it later because it caused the severs to take a crap, kind of like what happened to 16 man Group Finder Ops.

DarkKnyght
08.16.2014 , 11:08 PM | #7
On a scale of 1-10 hype meter it was easily an 11 when I heard about player housing. After seeing the npc limit in place my hype meter went down to 7. Big big disappointment this is.

PaintSticks
08.17.2014 , 12:20 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkKnyght View Post
On a scale of 1-10 hype meter it was easily an 11 when I heard about player housing. After seeing the npc limit in place my hype meter went down to 7. Big big disappointment this is.
My thoughts exactly. Even if they made it to 100, it would be way better. Even like 50.

Apophis_
08.17.2014 , 12:30 AM | #9
I want my Stronghold to be full of NPCs, Companions and Pets, this is why I'm so excited about housing.

It makes me sad to think about me sitting alone in this huge Tatooine Stronghold. Sure, I will invite some friends to see how I decorate my house, but how many of them will join me? 3? 4? And for how long they will sit there? 15 minutes?

Stronghold can hold lots of players, so why it can't hold lots of NPCs? Planets, flashpoints and operations are full of them and we don't have any issues.
Thimburd (Guardian Tank) | Drobinka (Balance Sage) | Thimi (Scoundrel Healer)
Soulwaker Legacy in <Hoth Beaches> private guild on ToFN server.
Living Legend, Founder, Wing Commander, Loremaster, Galactic Hero, S-1 All-Star

ThorgrimLutgen
08.17.2014 , 01:31 AM | #10
I am struggling to see how a npc, pet etc, is any different than a decoration in terms of "load".

Are you able to interact with them in anyway? If not, they are identical to simply placing a rug or a plant in my eyes.

So why any limit at all, if there is none for decorations?