Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguards And Powertechs That Think They Are Ranged

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Vanguards And Powertechs That Think They Are Ranged

Dras_Keto
08.15.2014 , 09:26 AM | #1
Remember the tail end of the Level 50 era and how, once we hit 50, we would get a couple missions automatically, as well as a mail directing us to the black hole daily area? Or at least something along those lines.

Can there be something like that for everyone who chooses the Vanguard or Powertech AC? A nice, mailed notification that they are a melee class and need to be in close range using Ion Pulse/Flame Burst and Stockstrike/Rocket Punch?

invertioN
08.15.2014 , 10:41 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Dras_Keto View Post
Remember the tail end of the Level 50 era and how, once we hit 50, we would get a couple missions automatically, as well as a mail directing us to the black hole daily area? Or at least something along those lines.

Can there be something like that for everyone who chooses the Vanguard or Powertech AC? A nice, mailed notification that they are a melee class and need to be in close range using Ion Pulse/Flame Burst and Stockstrike/Rocket Punch?
Agreed, but there should be a mail every time they level up from lvl 1 just to be sure they get it.
Dread Master Adixia, Red Eclipse EU

Dras_Keto
08.15.2014 , 12:32 PM | #3
I was going to suggest a love letter from bioware every level after 10, but that felt a bit excessive. If it works though, it would probably be worth it.

Faolon
08.18.2014 , 08:46 PM | #4
The mail should be titled: "Stop being a wimp and get in there."
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

xyrmagus
08.20.2014 , 10:56 AM | #5
I've done a couple Kuat runs lately with Scoundrels who think they are ranged (go in cover, spam charged burst). It's even more sad than the commando's rocking blaster rifles because they look cooler. Funny enough, I ONLY see this behavior on the republic side, I've never seen it on Imp side (and I have way more Imp chars).
"...peace was atrophy. Only through conflict could potential be realized." -Darth Malgus

Calsetes
08.21.2014 , 11:50 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by xyrmagus View Post
I've done a couple Kuat runs lately with Scoundrels who think they are ranged (go in cover, spam charged burst). It's even more sad than the commando's rocking blaster rifles because they look cooler. Funny enough, I ONLY see this behavior on the republic side, I've never seen it on Imp side (and I have way more Imp chars).
I see it on both sides - Assassins who think they're tanks but not using the tank stance and such. Thankfully, I use my Vanguards and PTs like they can't hit the broad side of a barn and just Halo-punch / Shoryuken the baddies nonstop. Also, I tend to yank far-out mobs to me with my harpoon, going all Captain Ahab on them, and laugh when a Marauder or someone jumps over to them instead of the growing horde around my guy. Sometimes, just for fun, I harpoon a guy my buddy (playing a marauder) leaps to just to mess with him. It's rare though, and he knows it's all in good fun.
The average person thinks he isn't.
-Anonymous

Ottoattack
08.21.2014 , 12:22 PM | #7
Couple of days ago I was in HM hammer station as pyro PT dps. We go through the shortcut to the first boss and the healer and ranged dps sorc stay on the cargo container to avoid the exploding robots. Like couple of seconds later the the sorc pulls me on the cargo container. I go down then he goes "stay up here." I was doing an extreme palm face, then I go "I am melee."

It is not only some PTs/VGs think they are ranged. Apparently majority of population does.

Rykko
08.21.2014 , 12:28 PM | #8
In fairness you can't blame people for thinking a class that's holding a pistol or rifle is ranged.

Using cover and charged burst is what smugglers are trained to do from lvls 1-10 so the switch up when you become a Scoundrel is a big difference from that and the game is famously poor at explaining ACs to newcomers.

On the other hand it's a symptom of people not reading the tooltips on their abilities and skill trees carefully enough.
Believing I am "skilled" at video games is central to my confidence and self esteem.

Dropfall
08.22.2014 , 01:29 AM | #9
Its not just PT's/Vanguard's or Op's/Scoundrel's that have been this stupid. About a year ago, or may be longer whilst levelling a toon I came across a Sin in a Colicoid Wargames FP whom would only use Shock and Force Lightning 'cuz he was ranged'.
Even after telling him he was doing it wrong, he would still wait for both those to come off cooldown before attacking again.
Ended up kicking him because it would take an extraneous amounts of time to kill anything.

There needs to be something more thorough told to players before they actually choose their advanced classes, probably some sort of vid showing what you can do with an AC.
Then again, I'm not sure we can leave it to BW to do that properly given they don't know how to play their own classes.