Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Ships Coming?

ReallYDeepMan
08.14.2014 , 11:15 AM | #1
Do we know if there are any new ships being added?

I haven't seen a new one in a while, and haven't heard any talk about new ones coming soon.

Caernos
08.14.2014 , 11:53 AM | #2
Unfortunately, the fifth ship type was postponed indefinitely a while back.

That said, my hope is that once all this GSH stuff and 3.0 are live we'll start getting more GSF stuff; new ships (cartel and the fifth ship role) , new maps, and new game modes. It would be awesome if they would release something with 3.0 but at this point I think that's a pipe dream of a hope.
Cynfor Cinderheart and the Cinderheart Legacy: The Ebon Hawk
The FanFic Works of Caernos:
Red Invitation, Parents,
Beskar Bonds and Cinder Hearts

MaximilianPower
08.14.2014 , 04:20 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Caernos View Post
Unfortunately, the fifth ship type was postponed indefinitely a while back.

That said, my hope is that once all this GSH stuff and 3.0 are live we'll start getting more GSF stuff; new ships (cartel and the fifth ship role) , new maps, and new game modes. It would be awesome if they would release something with 3.0 but at this point I think that's a pipe dream of a hope.
Agreed, that's my hope as well. I'm accumulating absurd amounts of fleet req on multiple alts, need something to spend it on.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

mattycutts
08.15.2014 , 08:49 AM | #4
personally i hope the fith ship class is never released.

Stealth ships have no place in gsf. Once u introduce stealth into any form of pvp it normally breaks it. look at majority of qq on ground pvp it was either smash or stealth classes most threads. imagine a premade of stealth ships, think that would be fun when your on your own? lol think of worse case siturations what people cud do with a class and it normally happens, in idea they could be fun but the downsides would kill any balence there is right now.

But i do hope to see more ships of existing classes, more maps, and more game modes. oh and more detailed and variety cosmetic options for ships.
RED ECLIPSE - Unrelenting (Rep) / The Deathbringers (emp)
(Ground & Space PVP only) - Republic main
Empire - Quickblast / Quickstrike / Quickblow / Quickcast / Toretto
Republic - Quickblasts / Quickslam / Quickvolley
Former Baccas Blade / Nightmare Lands

Caernos
08.15.2014 , 09:51 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by mattycutts View Post
personally i hope the fith ship class is never released.

Stealth ships have no place in gsf. Once u introduce stealth into any form of pvp it normally breaks it. look at majority of qq on ground pvp it was either smash or stealth classes most threads. imagine a premade of stealth ships, think that would be fun when your on your own? lol think of worse case siturations what people cud do with a class and it normally happens, in idea they could be fun but the downsides would kill any balence there is right now.

But i do hope to see more ships of existing classes, more maps, and more game modes. oh and more detailed and variety cosmetic options for ships.
I'm not trying to start an argument as you offer a very valid viewpoint, but I do want to offer an alternative point of view.

In regards to a "stealth" ship I do think there are ways that they could limit the ships effectiveness. First, as the ship would have a "cloaking device" this would effectively take their systems component or the ability to change weapons. In addition making the ship lightly armed and armored by limiting its weapon and defense choices would also make it weaker when battling other ships. Furthermore, cloaking itself doesn't have to make the ship physically invisible. Before GSF went live, you could ramp sensor dampening to a point where an enemy couldn't see you until you we're 7k away (if I remember correctly). If a cloak was implemented this way, pilots would still be able to physically see the enemy when it got close, they simply wouldn't be able to target it, and since a stealth ship wouldn't have access to rail guns, it wouldn't be able to snipe invisible like PTS gunships could. Other cloaks could include actual invisibility, projecting multiple "false-copies," and more. All of these cloaks could be further tweaked to limit their power; either by having a time limit followed by long cool down, or in a way that while the cloak is active a stealth ship physically can't use it's weapons. Additional components could be added to the existing ship classes to further counter stealth and cloaks. Targeting Telemetry used to have fly text that said it would remove a cloak (I don't remember if it still does), and EMP and EMP missile bothe prevent the use of system components which would neutralize a "cloak" style systems component that a stealthier would use. Heck, you could even make an EMP mine for the minelayers which would make them even stronger in DOM fights.

My point is this, I agree that a stealth ship would be difficult to balance but I do think it is viable possibility.

That said bioware has made one thing clear and that whatever info has been datamine cannot be relied on as accurate. Bioware could release a fifth ship type that has no weapons, or is a class ship that our friends can take the control of the turrets with. I'm sure whatever they do, it will be surprising in some form or fashion. My only hope is that they continue to release new stuff for GSF; game modes, maps, components, and ships.

I apologize if I have come across as aggressive or insulting or condescending or arrogant or negative in any way; that was not my intent. Again, I simply wished to express a counter point to the argument that a stealth ship would be over powered. This was all my opinion and should not be taken as my attempt to state facts.

Finally i typed this all on my phone so I apologize for any errors in spelling or grammar.
Cynfor Cinderheart and the Cinderheart Legacy: The Ebon Hawk
The FanFic Works of Caernos:
Red Invitation, Parents,
Beskar Bonds and Cinder Hearts

Verain
08.19.2014 , 09:23 AM | #6
The stealth ships are there, but I think they know it would require some tweaking to make them work. Infiltrators don't seem like they were envisioned as permanently invisible guys, but I'm not totally sure.

I'm pretty sure you could make a stealth variant in this game work, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. But as everyone said, it's probably not going to happen right away. The game didn't even get the few things they had mentioned this patch, so we'll probably see a patch with some GSF stuff after 2.10. I mean, at least we need TDM Denon, and at SOME point they need to give us other modes.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Nemarus
08.19.2014 , 10:21 AM | #7
I am very glad the Infiltrators were postponed / scrapped.

While I'd love a fifth ship, I don't see how a stealth ship could do anything but exacerbate GSF's current issues.

What are GSF's current issues? In my opinion...

1) Burst damage (mainly from Gunships and Scouts) greatly amplifies skill differential between the experienced and inexperienced. The experienced pilots kill the inexperienced ones nearly instantly, such that new pilots have little chance to actually learn how to react, get frustrated, and don't come back.

2) Battles are dominated by specialty builds that can deal out tons of damage to targets they catch unawares (again, Scouts and Gunships). Even when flown by mediocre pilots, a Gunship or Scout can almost always use its capacity for surprise and burst to get 1+ kills before it is killed or forced to go evasive. Matches are won mainly by shooting as many people as possible, who are unaware of you, before the other side can muster a counter-retaliation. Rarely do true duels or furballs result in anything but turning-war stalemates. Instead, it's the guy outside the fight, who shoots from 15km or lances in with offensive cooldowns, who rack up the kills. Sure, that Gunship or Scout will likely get mobbed and killed, but one's one death in trade for 5 kills?

3) A node with 2+ Bombers (even piloted by idiots) on it is nearly impossible for new pilots to successfully assault. They simply don't have the required components.

So how would a stealth ship inevitably have to work? It would go invisible, get close to a foe, unleash some crazy burst damage, and then flee.

At the very least, this would exacerbate #1 (too much burst). Once again, we'd have experienced pilots insta-gibbing new pilots--except with even less warning than Scouts and Gunships currently provide.

As for #2 ("kill all the things before they come get me") ... the stealth ship might not be able to do that as well as a Gunship or Scout. Perhaps it would only be able to score a single quick kill coming out of stealth, and then it'd have to flee or dogfight as normal.

As for #3 (Bombers on nodes) ... if the stealth ships did not trigger mines while cloaked, then perhaps they would be interesting for dislodging entrenched Bomber defenses on a node. Though I'm not sure. Even if they could get close to the Bomber--the moment they attack and uncloak, all the mines/drones will roast them, and I doubt they'd be able to one-shot the Bomber.

As for what other classes the stealth ship would counter--they would be perfect against Gunships, of course. I can't argue with that. And that would offer a clear path for all the new (and some veteran) players who hate Gunships.

The big problem is they are also going to be relatively effective against poor hapless Strikes, and not effective at all against the already-powerful Scouts. In fact, we know the only anti-stealth component in the game comes on all three Scouts!

Like I said, I would love to have a 5th ship ... but yet another class that relies exclusively on surprise burst damage is not what GSF needs right now.

We need burst damage to be nerfed all-up, and we need Strikes to be overbuffed, to the point where they can dogfight better than Scouts. Scouts should be a utility / mobility ship. They shouldn't have offensive cooldowns of any kind, and they really shouldn't have BLC's or Clusters either. Unfortunately that genie is out of the bottle.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

ALaggyGrunt
08.19.2014 , 11:03 AM | #8
Done right, stealth ships could be interesting.

Unfortunately, the way the components are laid out on today's ships, they're going to be incredibly weak: telemetry is a scout ability which is already quite common, and strikers with no sensor component are already vulnerable to classes with range and stealth spec (gunships).

Something tells me these new stealth ships are going to have BLC on them.

There are invisible gunships:
Get slugged.
Press 'r'. No target.
Get slugged again.
Tab through and find no gunships pointing at you.
Repeat until you move or die.

Kuciwalker
08.19.2014 , 12:18 PM | #9
I'm reserving judgment on stealth ships, but only because I hope Bioware has figured out something I haven't.

Right now I just don't understand what role they could fill that doesn't basically duplicate a scout (especially a battlescout). The only way I can really imagine "stealth" working in GSF is as a souped-up DCD that gives a ship a small window of opportunity to do enough burst to score a kill. That's... what scouts already do. If it has some extra power like "ignores mines" then OK, you have "this ship is a scout except it ignores mines".

I don't see stealth as giving any extra ability to sneak up on gunships (scouts are already really good at this). Stealth is just mobility, and scouts already have that in spades.

Stealth could provide some advantage in satellite-circling, though I'm not sure we want to make it even harder to kill enemies orbiting a node.

I don't see any way for infiltrators to do anything but "scout harder".

It's the above that gives me a small sliver of hope; because the duplicative nature of infiltrators seems so apparent, maybe the only reason devs talked about them was because the devs have some idea I haven't thought of.

Loc_n_lol
08.19.2014 , 12:20 PM | #10
The planned loadout of the stealth ships was.. "found", a while back... I remember they all had BLCs and a secondary short range massive burst weapon on top of that...

Well, would probably have permanently solved the gunship problem, but it hardly seems worth it... You dont fix broken by bringing more broken.