Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Dark Jedi question

The_Anf
12.23.2011 , 02:48 PM | #1
My Question is this...are all Dark jedi evil? Or is dark jedi just a term used to describe Jedi that have fallen away from the teachings of the order?

In my personal quest I have always ignored the LS/DS points and just done what my instinct would do and to be honest I have run a 65-35 DS over LS with my choices.

Does this make me evil?
Solo 1
Greedo 0

Sjax
12.23.2011 , 03:03 PM | #2
I believe it just refers to jedi fallen from the Order. Could be wrong though.
----------------------
Don't Hutt.

lieutenantzent
12.23.2011 , 03:46 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Anf View Post
My Question is this...are all Dark jedi evil? Or is dark jedi just a term used to describe Jedi that have fallen away from the teachings of the order?

In my personal quest I have always ignored the LS/DS points and just done what my instinct would do and to be honest I have run a 65-35 DS over LS with my choices.

Does this make me evil?
your second guess was correct.

Bielduwyn
12.23.2011 , 10:26 PM | #4
Dark Jedi are typically evil as it is a term for a Jedi who's fallen to the dark side, heck, before the term Sith became popular, in the EU they referred to dark sided Force users as a whole as Dark Jedi, as noted in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight.

psychogobstopper
12.23.2011 , 10:42 PM | #5
The term "Dark Jedi" refers not only to members of the Jedi Order who have fallen to the Dark Side but is also used as a common, generic term for Dark Side Force users - even those who may never have been trained as Jedi, but also may not have been trained as Sith.

The question of whether or not a Dark Jedi (or a Sith, for that matter) is evil, however, depends greatly on one's point of view (to borrow a phrase from a certain Jedi Master). Dark Jedi generally would not view themselves as evil, of course. On the contrary, they are channeling the Force in ways that they view as appropriate in their quest for power.

According to the Jedi Order, Force-users who embrace the Dark Side are, of course, evil. After all, they frequently embrace base emotions such as hatred, fear, and anger in order to channel their power; they frequently seek to conquer and oppress; and they frequently inflict pain on a large scale, without any regard for the suffering they cause.

The term "Dark Jedi" was commonly used in the Star Wars Expanded Universe prior to the Prequel Trilogy not because the term "Sith" wasn't popular, but because Lucasfilm specifically excluded the use of it in novels, comic books, video games, and so on. The restriction was lifted around the time the Prequel movies started to be released, and since then the EU has generally avoided "Dark Jedi" in favor of "Sith".

Bielduwyn
12.23.2011 , 11:05 PM | #6
To be fair, word of God (aka Lucas) says that the Sith are evil, so there really are no two ways about that. Even Bioware has said it.

And are you sure about that last bit? The term Sith pretty much originated in the EU, and Jedi Knight's expansion pack, Mysteries of the Sith, preceded the release of TPM by 18 months. Going further back, the term was also used more than once in the Dark Empire trilogy, released in 1991. So I can't really see any real evidence that Lucas Licensing clamped down on the use of the term "Sith" until the prequels.

Rethoren
12.23.2011 , 11:38 PM | #7
dark jedi are typically evil. Jedi that operate by their own moral code and not by the jedi code are typically referred to as grey jedi.

psychogobstopper
12.24.2011 , 08:56 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Bielduwyn View Post
And are you sure about that last bit? The term Sith pretty much originated in the EU, and Jedi Knight's expansion pack, Mysteries of the Sith, preceded the release of TPM by 18 months. Going further back, the term was also used more than once in the Dark Empire trilogy, released in 1991. So I can't really see any real evidence that Lucas Licensing clamped down on the use of the term "Sith" until the prequels.
I could be mistaken. It's something that I recall reading about way back around that time, I think in Star Wars Insider. My recollection is that "Sith" was only allowed to be used on a very limited basis, hence inclusion in works like Dark Empire (where it certainly made sense, considering Palpatine's clones). In any event, I don't think the use of "Dark Jedi" over "Sith" had anything to do with the second term being "less popular" - why would it be such, when Darth Vader and Palpatine were said to be Sith in the original trilogy and "Dark Jedi" was never used in those films at all?

smackone
12.24.2011 , 11:51 AM | #9
Isn't a Sith a Dark Side user who believes in the Religion of the Sith. Meaning they follow the teachings and holocrons of the Sith, follow the rule of two and vow to destory the Jedi.

Where as a Dark Jedi is just a Dark Side user who wields the force for his/her personal gain and isnt really interested in following the Sith Religion or work to destroy the Jedi order.
WoW refugee

KorloAlentis
12.24.2011 , 04:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Bielduwyn View Post
To be fair, word of God (aka Lucas) says that the Sith are evil, so there really are no two ways about that. Even Bioware has said it.
I believe every jedi who falls to the drak side frist can be described as Dark Jedi, but then they can still turn to the light again, while a sith has passed beyond the point of no return and can no longer be saved(don't give me examples where this has not been the case). So while a dark jedi ccan still turn back, a sith fcuses so much on hate, fear and passion, that he is consumed fully by the drak side.

So, dark jedi: Not entirely evil.

Sith: pure evil