Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fix Gunships, until then i quit.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Fix Gunships, until then i quit.

sartt
08.12.2014 , 04:55 PM | #1
GSF is the main reason i played this game, and the main reason i re-subbed and the sole reason im unsubbing. Theres no point at all in playing GSF when the enemy team has 3 gunship camping your spawn point or sitting in midfield with repair drones around them. Fly in as a scout get insta killed . Strike fighters don't have enough speed or boost to get next to them in time. Scout can't do anything to them i've shot rockets at them laser cannons and somehow when im shooting them i seem to get hit with reflective damage? This is unacceptable. Nothing beats them. I've teamed up with a player who had a cartel scout ship vs 1 gunship and he still managed to kill both of us in 4 shots.

To the Dev's look at this ship and re design it, its horribly unbalanced.

Nemarus
08.12.2014 , 05:17 PM | #2
I think that you'll find most people here think that Gunships are only slightly overpowered, and even then not as overpowered as some Scout builds.

I agree with them, with the caveat that that judgment only holds at higher tiers of play with experienced pilots on both sides.

I agree that for new players, Gunships (even those piloted by other new players) are very hard to deal with. It takes experience and upgrades to deal with even a moderately competent Gunship.

And by their sniping nature, Gunships are naturally more infuriating to new players. When someone shoots you from across the map, without your having been aware of them, it feels like you got cheated out of your opportunity to evade and defend yourself.

Certainly, a Gunship exacerbates any difference in skill and experience between two players. Though Scouts do too.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

ALaggyGrunt
08.12.2014 , 05:44 PM | #3
That's not the problem.
The problem is the game doesn't seem all that interested in putting premades against each other, and not to put fresh newbies against premades period. They don't know rapids are totally useless outside 4km, and they're supposed to know not to fly into that?

sartt
08.12.2014 , 07:01 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
I think that you'll find most people here think that Gunships are only slightly overpowered, and even then not as overpowered as some Scout builds.

I agree with them, with the caveat that that judgment only holds at higher tiers of play with experienced pilots on both sides.

I agree that for new players, Gunships (even those piloted by other new players) are very hard to deal with. It takes experience and upgrades to deal with even a moderately competent Gunship.

And by their sniping nature, Gunships are naturally more infuriating to new players. When someone shoots you from across the map, without your having been aware of them, it feels like you got cheated out of your opportunity to evade and defend yourself.

Certainly, a Gunship exacerbates any difference in skill and experience between two players. Though Scouts do too.
2 gunships camping you wont kill them , you die it just happened to me again. Its stupid can't lock onto them with missiles since they are out of range to all missiles. and if by some unknown space magic you do get into their range for cannons they have a ability that reflects damage back at you. Its stupid.

zaskar
08.12.2014 , 08:32 PM | #5
So, here is an idea. Don't fly in a straight line, use the vertical. Use the other spawn points to get behind them or above/below/on the side, anywhere but jousting. Then shoot them dead. Gunships are very squishy, if you can snare them and burst them they die in three seconds.
IMPS -- Ryagrs / Zaskar / Evae / Kira'sa / Phrik / Xiok / Ge'tal / Imperius

PUBS -- Zaharr / Hylo / Zavul / Talvii / Yadira-ban / Yaggi / Zibdu / Kavod

DamascusAdontise
08.12.2014 , 10:02 PM | #6
Gunships cave to pressure, keep pressing them and it makes their life miserable. Know the map and use LOS to close to firing range, if they are in the open then use evasive flying (unpredictable moves and turns while you close range)

I for one make it my job to harass GS since they are the biggest threat to scouts (and other ships) with smart flying and aggression you can effectively take them out of the game.

If they cover eachother though watch out, you need surprise on your side in order to win.
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

ShadowsNIte
08.12.2014 , 10:22 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by sartt View Post
somehow when im shooting them i seem to get hit with reflective damage? This is unacceptable.
Its called Feedback Shields. A 15 second buff every 30 seconds(20 when upgraded) with very noticeable icon, that only triggers off the first hit. Learn to hold your fire when you see it up. And no, its perfectly acceptable as Feedback is crap compared to Distortion.

I've teamed up with a player who had a cartel scout ship
People still think having a cartel ship means anything? Its the same freaking ship, just uglier.
REGULATORS
Brute-Might Shadowlands

Jasa
08.13.2014 , 05:45 AM | #8
In my opinion best way to deal with multiple gunships is to try your luck with high evasion build tier 2 scout using burst lasers and clusters.. I have yet to test rocket pods, but I have a feeling that they may be pretty great alternative for gunship hunting too. Even though you have pretty good maneuverabilty with tier 2 scout as it is you should look for engine overcharges too if possible. It will give you great edge when fighting multiple gunships that are far apart from each other. Always look out for gunships don't get too carried away dogfighting other ships because if you succeed in taking gunships down they have tedency to pay you back sooner or later. Watch who they are targeting (remember that some sneaky ones might try to bluff you) and how far they are from you. Then attack or get out of their line of sight/range. Try not to charge them head on unless you have all evasion buffs on - with them you can usually leave it up to luck.

You may not be able to carry whole team that way, but you should be able to make gunshipers suffer atleast as long as you aren't againts coordinated premade with voip. Burst lasers alone should be enough to take most gunships down even when they are close to repair drone, but I usually tend to deal with drones first especially railgun ones since they don't miss no matter how much evasion you have. In case they are middle of minefield I would probably rather use gunship with ion railgun or atleast ask someone to deal with those mines first before going in with my scout. It depends very much on situation. I don't guarantee this will work, but it is what I would try in tough situation like that and It has ocassionaly worked pretty well for me.

I haven't played againts players using feedback shields too often since most gunships (tier 1 and 3) rather go for distortion field, but I think they only reflect back primary weapon damage so you should be able to use missiles and rocket pods without getting any damage - though I might be wrong about that. Like I said I'm not really expert againts them since I rarely see them in use, but for me they haven't really been problem and I think it's been pretty rare for me to die because of them. Just don't hit them with your lasers if you are low on shields and hull and they have that buff on.

As far as balance goes it's not too bad like Nemarus said it's some scout builds that are overpowered rather than gunships even though gunships will feel overpowered for new players. In my opinion 1v1 all ships are pretty well balanced even when some clearly are bit stronger than others and some are bit weaker. As long as you know what your ship can do and what your enemy can do you have pretty good chance to take them down, if you are both close to same skill and gear level. Then again it's never really 1v1. I admit gunship/bomber heavy matches tend to be a problem. Experienced players will always have edge againts noobs even if they aren't playing in premade. Coordinated premades are completely different story. Bad match making could be fixed, but I don't think players should be forced to use some other ship class just because whole team is using same class they want to use.
Jasa - The Red Eclipse

Kuciwalker
08.13.2014 , 06:03 AM | #9
GSF is the main reason i played this game, and the main reason i re-subbed and the sole reason im unsubbing. Theres no point at all in playing GSF when the enemy team has 3 gunship camping your spawn point or sitting in midfield with repair drones around them. Fly in as a scout get insta killed . Strike fighters don't have enough speed or boost to get next to them in time. Scout can't do anything to them i've shot rockets at them laser cannons and somehow when im shooting them i seem to get hit with reflective damage? This is unacceptable. Nothing beats them. I've teamed up with a player who had a cartel scout ship vs 1 gunship and he still managed to kill both of us in 4 shots.
Oooooh, a Cartel ship. Well now that your friend put down the big bucks it's basically unconscionable that he lost.

PavSalco
08.13.2014 , 06:14 AM | #10
I've teamed up with a player who had a cartel scout ship vs 1 gunship and he still managed to kill both of us in 4 shots.
So you think cartel ships are superior?
This proves that you still need to learn a lot about GSF. Listen to advice above. Get behind gunships with a scout and shoot them down with Concentrated Fire or Targeting Telemetry or both.