Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How to help the game regain population and keep what is left

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
How to help the game regain population and keep what is left

Spydermts's Avatar


Spydermts
08.04.2014 , 03:11 PM | #1
Here are a few things I think the devs should take into mind when deciding where to go with the game.

First, the return of new hm fp's. While I understand tactical fp's are easier to crank out and everyone in the game can complete them, no one really wants to play them more than a couple times. One way to keep people intrested is to create some sort of new higher end content more than once a year.

Second, keep progressing current high end content like world bosses, ie toborrows courtyard or the illum boss or the rackgul boss, forward with nim versions. Things like this give people things to do that are fun and grant real useful stuff while they are not raiding.

Lastly, I understand that the reason these things are not being done currently is most likely the lack of personal to do everything. However, something that the devs must grasp is if you are understaffed to do everything you want you must allocate staff to the most important aspects. If you are triaging a game like this you don't pour a quarter of the years dev time into gsf. Stuff like gsf and strongholds are cool but are secondary to real new content. It's like giving someone a nose job while someone else is bleeding out. So moving forward you must understand mini game type content is no substitute for real new content. Tactical flashpoint and rehashing the same old events aren't going to keep the game alive.

Any constructive additional thoughts are welcomed

psandak's Avatar


psandak
08.04.2014 , 03:23 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Spydermts View Post
Lastly, I understand that the reason these things are not being done currently is most likely the lack of personal to do everything. However, something that the devs must grasp is if you are understaffed to do everything you want you must allocate staff to the most important aspects. If you are triaging a game like this you don't pour a quarter of the years dev time into gsf. Stuff like gsf and strongholds are cool but are secondary to real new content. It's like giving someone a nose job while someone else is bleeding out. So moving forward you must understand mini game type content is no substitute for real new content. Tactical flashpoint and rehashing the same old events aren't going to keep the game alive.

Any constructive additional thoughts are welcomed
GSF and GSH are "real content." There were a LOT of players that wanted a better space combat system than the on-rails missions we got at launch. I'll grant that what we got in GSF was not what most wanted, but it is content nonetheless. There are also a LOT of players who want what is coming in GSH...some have been SCREAMING for it since launch. Whether it lives up to expectations is a big question, but again it is something the population wants.

I agree that more FPs and Ops and story would be nice but do not discount GSF and GSH as not "real content" just because you do not like/want them.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)


high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Reverse Engineering Rules
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

Spydermts's Avatar


Spydermts
08.04.2014 , 03:29 PM | #3
I discount them largely because during the time that development has focused on it the game has suffered from loss of players and things like this while cool are not what keep people playing, in a perfect world we would get both but if we can't have both extras like this shouldn't be the main focus of an entire year of development

JMagee's Avatar


JMagee
08.04.2014 , 03:38 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Spydermts View Post
Here are a few things I think the devs should take into mind when deciding where to go with the game.

First, the return of new hm fp's. While I understand tactical fp's are easier to crank out and everyone in the game can complete them, no one really wants to play them more than a couple times. One way to keep people intrested is to create some sort of new higher end content more than once a year.

Second, keep progressing current high end content like world bosses, ie toborrows courtyard or the illum boss or the rackgul boss, forward with nim versions. Things like this give people things to do that are fun and grant real useful stuff while they are not raiding.

Lastly, I understand that the reason these things are not being done currently is most likely the lack of personal to do everything. However, something that the devs must grasp is if you are understaffed to do everything you want you must allocate staff to the most important aspects. If you are triaging a game like this you don't pour a quarter of the years dev time into gsf. Stuff like gsf and strongholds are cool but are secondary to real new content. It's like giving someone a nose job while someone else is bleeding out. So moving forward you must understand mini game type content is no substitute for real new content. Tactical flashpoint and rehashing the same old events aren't going to keep the game alive.

Any constructive additional thoughts are welcomed
1. Regarding new HM FPs: If they were to add a new HM FP to the game tomorrow, where should it fit, gearwise?
Assuming the average long-time player probably has a lot of 180 gear (Oriconian/DF) by now, how do you create a HM FP that is meaningful for a lot of people to run, but not gated by (or provide an easier alternative BiS gearing strategy) gear requirements?

The addition of the new 55 HM FPs with the last expansion and level cap increase was a perfect time to introduce more HM FPs, because there was a gear reset and as a result, the need for re-gearing, of which BM level gear was a good first step.

I just don't see how they could integrate new HM FPs without a level increase. Currently, the only way people couldn't "outgear" these new proposed FPs would be if they dropped 180/186 level gear, which is probably not a very good idea.

2. The thought of NiM WBs doesn't get me excited to deal with the hassle of trying to kill OW WBs when they're new (complete with new shiny's) and Toborro's Courtyard on NiM....meh. Being fed difficulty tier(s) in steps just makes me more cynical. Maybe they'll be a different type of Isotope cannister to break instead, or the laser will channel even faster. And again it becomes a gearing issue. If you introduced NiM TC tomorrow, what would it drop to get people interested in doing it?

3. People bounce around these statements regarding cutbacks/skeleton crew/EA restrictions/engine limitations all the time, and 95% of the time it's conjecture/hearsay that gets regurgitated so many times it becomes accepted fact. I don't know how many people are working as Devs on this game currently, and no matter what the actual number is different people will spin it different ways (That many and that's all the can put out/ That few and they managed to make all of this content). Regarding GSF/Housing, there is a contingent of people on the forums really excited for housing, and that get great enjoyment from GSF, so I don't mind waiting another month or two for my turn at more content

psandak's Avatar


psandak
08.04.2014 , 04:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Spydermts View Post
I discount them largely because during the time that development has focused on it the game has suffered from loss of players and things like this while cool are not what keep people playing, in a perfect world we would get both but if we can't have both extras like this shouldn't be the main focus of an entire year of development
I disagree with your causality assumption. You are postulating that because development time was spent on something other than story and group content (AKA FPs and Ops) that players left this game. While it might be true that those man-hours could have been spent on story and group content, it cannot be assumed to be true that more players would stick around.

In fact I would go so far as to postulate the opposite: that more top end content - which is what HM FPs and Ops are - would alienate the casual masses and that those players would leave and never come back. As it stands the paradigm is that over the past ten months (since GSF early access release) there have been eight "events" that generated renewed interest:
  1. GSF
  2. recurrence of Gree
  3. revamp of rakghouls
  4. NiM DF
  5. new story arc teaser FPs
  6. NiM DP
  7. Double XP week
  8. recurrence of Gree

Yes, a lot of these events were short and the bump was also short. And yes not every event appealed to everyone. But lots of players come in for those events and then leave again. And GSH already has generated a massive influx of players. how long they stick around...who knows? But if the development of GSH generates revenue in the form of subs and CCs, it is time well spent.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)


high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Reverse Engineering Rules
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

Jrr_hypernova's Avatar


Jrr_hypernova
08.04.2014 , 06:01 PM | #6
heres one stick a TOR add in every previwe block that gets played before the new star wars movies

Nerdcommando's Avatar


Nerdcommando
08.04.2014 , 11:49 PM | #7
They have done a lot for this game recently. The new development strategy since Makeb released has been sound. The major killer for this game will be a lack of class story development. Having the character advance their personal goals via the world story arc is what made this game. Its the cornerstone - and to not develop it would be introducing foundation cracks in a skyscraper. Many old players will return just to see it again. Its a good way to get people back.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy. - Steven Wright

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
08.05.2014 , 02:50 AM | #8
What keeps this game going is releasing new content. Since they like to recycle HM versions and NiM versions of everything it is good for those that like it but it is new content that keeps the game alive.

JouerTue's Avatar


JouerTue
08.06.2014 , 03:37 AM | #9
i'd like a new world boss..something really challenging..
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr

Gilnor's Avatar


Gilnor
08.06.2014 , 06:18 AM | #10
If you want this game to go forward then you are all wrong. What they need to do is stop focusing on the Cartel Market (which they won't as I'm pretty sure that's where they are getting their money to keep the game afloat) and focus on content. They need to stop catering for bad players and make content that's actually a challenge so the top players feel this is a game worth playing. Content that actually lasts months to clear out and not days or hours as was the case of DP NiM.

They also need to get their act together when technical problems are concerned. When 2.8 was put out TRE was unplayable for three days and it took them one full day to even look into the problem and they've only acknowledged that there was a problem on the second day and the fix they've said that they "thought" they had a solution for it and that they "maybe" would put it out on the following day (which, in their defense, they did). I know this happened on other servers as well though not with the severity it affected TRE.

This is what they need to work on not on new HM FPs. No one is coming back to this game to do HM FPs.
GilnŠuro - Assassin
TRE - Disciples of Babylon