Locking a, probably, scam

RahaylaCora

Different countries use different symbols for numbers. As ',' is thousand separator and '.' is decimal separator for some countries (and this game represents numbers in that way in items prices in the gtn) looks like a group of players are aware that people make mistakes reading numbers. They sell items that look cheap, very few items, but if you are used to '.' as thousands separator and ',' as decimal separator you can buy thing really overpriced if you have the money. I call it scam, but clearly i can't report it as the seller can put the price he wants.

Example:

2 items for a price of 1,780,400 show an individual price of 890,200 what can be confused as under 1000 credits value.

I think that this should be addressed with an option for accepting a buying when clicking on 'buy button' in the GTN, showing the final price. By default, active, so each player toggles off if doesn't want to be bothered with that confirmation question.

Edited by RahaylaCora

I'm trying to picture this scenario...

So the usual going rate for the item in question is somewhere around 900 per unit, I'm assuming. Something where you could see a unit price of 890 and think that that's an okay deal. But this overpriced entry isn't going to show up in the list in with the items that are actually priced around 890. Looking through the list you would see something like:

It would be obvious that it's a completely different number. You would have to come across a listing where that one entry is the only listing that anybody has posted, and even then... I don't know...

I mean, I know that if I saw a number written as 1.234.567,890 instead of the familiar 1,234,567.890 format I would figure out what they meant pretty quick. It would be clear that we're not talking about a number between 1.2 and 1.3 arbitrarily followed by a second number, 890.

That would be an issue if you could buy things with fractions of a credit . . .

We're talking unit price, which does show decimals. Example: You post 3 items at a total price of 1000 and you will see 333.33 as the unit price. (I think it always cuts off at two decimal places, actually. I don't know if I've ever seen it show three digits after the decimal. We'll have to double check that. If I'm right, that could be a distinction for the topic creator to remember to avoid further confusion.) Yes, you can't purchase a single unit at that unit price to deduct a fraction of a credit from your character's wallet. Overall in total it works out to a whole number that you pay for the set of items. But the value per unit can include decimals.

Anyway,

They sell items that look cheap, very few items, but if you are used to '.' as thousands separator and ',' as decimal separator you can buy thing really overpriced if you have the money. I call it scam, but clearly i can't report it as the seller can put the price he wants.

When I see something very significantly overpriced like you described I always just assume that they're using the GTN as temporary storage and they just threw some ridiculously high price on it because they didn't actually expect to sell it at that price.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

When I see something very significantly overpriced like you described I always just assume that they're using the GTN as temporary storage and they just threw some ridiculously high price on it because they didn't actually expect to sell it at that price.

Except that you can see the same 2 items pack selling 12 times in a row with the same expiring time. That is not storage, as they could do it storing those 24 in one pack for a high price. Esentially that is my concern about a scam and not a fair selling, mostly used in selling materials.

12 copies of that sale? You hadn't mentioned that part. That is strange....

But there are also other postings up in a different price range though, right? (What material are we even talking about anyway?) It should be very very obvious that they're at a completely different price point from the other items on the market.

Except that you can see the same 2 items pack selling 12 times in a row with the same expiring time. That is not storage, as they could do it storing those 24 in one pack for a high price.

That could be a player using the GTN for storage. Then, using the mail system as additional free 30 day storage.

Some players buy hyper-crates and open all the Cartel Packs, looking for rare and super rare items.

I don't know that something shady isn't going on, but just having a lot of the same item for sale isn't proof by itself.

Edited by Nmyownworld

As i am reporting a strange situation, not reporting any player, i think i can put some screenshots that will help to understand it. Images taken from GTN, anyone can check it at real time in the game.

http://i57.tinypic.com/zx2yc8.png

http://i61.tinypic.com/691big.png

Really that doesn't look as storaging items (waste of extra entries).

For a non english player, those unit prices can be understood as a number with decimal part. If you are tired, or just in very need, you can forget to double check the final price, and lose well earned thousands of your credits.

Alternative suggestion, maybe easier to implement, an option in Preferences for representing numbers in the GTN in non english format (thousands separator = . and decimal separator = , )

This has been reported before, and, yeah, looks like a scam to me. (suggestion: it's best if you take the player's name out from the screenshot - put a black circle around it, or something, since it might go against forum rules).

I'd say that it's best to round all prices to the credit - no more decimal separator. And if someone wants to sell 9 desh pieces for 908, let the auction system correct it to 909. It might require quite some recoding, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for listening, Bioware . I bought a stack of 5 materials minutes ago, and i was asked for confirming the buying, showing the final price. As i was surprised because there was no patch or update, i bought a cheap chest piece for testing, and again i was asked for confirmation. Really thank you for fixing this situation. Probably still will be mistakes, but this double check will avoid most of the situations discussed in this thread.

PD: I guess that this thread can be closed if you like.

:confused:

Well, this thread http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=760674 is started after this suggestion (same problem as pointed here), so i don't think so. I also don't remember any confirmation window when buying; that is why i opened this thread, and why I thank Bioware, just when i realized that now there is a confirmation window.