Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[GUIDE] PvP Madness Sorcerer

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
[GUIDE] PvP Madness Sorcerer

Kamikazie
12.23.2011 , 02:05 PM | #1
UPDATED:12/30/2011

This thread is dedicated on the finer aspects of playing the class and how to play it to its fullest. I am not going to claim to know everything about the class or have the best build but everyone should be able to take something out of this guide. Every spec of the sorc is viable for PvP however after extensive testing, Madness is currently the best. The idea behind this guide is so you get an idea for how the spec plays. Then refine it to fit your needs. Star Wars is not a cookie cutter game, no one spec is the best.

In approximately 5 hours using this information I have been in queue for PvP nonstop. In that time I have been under 150k damage once. Over 300k damage twice and averaging 250k damage. To some playing a DPS class as pure damage dealing, be it defending the bomb or killing a ball carrier's healers is not enough. If thats the case your going to hate this guide. Its a pure DPS build to do what we do best. Use extreme prejudice to break peoples things and then kill them. I personally play the hybrid w/ chain lightning due to the fact its usually easy to find 2-3 targets together to hit with it and force storm will reset the cool down. This makes it higher DPS then the pure madness build.

Spec

Hybrid with chain lightning is an DoT AoE focused build. You DoT your target and hit it with chain lightning applying damage to near by enemies. Its not a pure single target build. You stay on the one target and let anyone standing near by take damage.
Hybrid w/ Chain Ligtning

Vecte's Chain Lightning Hybrid
VaenH's Madness
VaenH's Hybrid 1
VaenH's Hybrid 2

Rotation
Hybrid
Open with Force Lightning and move isntantly(Your procing Wrath) > Instant cast Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Death Field(20%dmg increase on DoTs) > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning(Your procing Wrath) > Instant cast Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Death Field > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning

Pure Madness
Open with Force Lightning and move isntantly(Your procing Wrath) > Death Field(20%dmg increase on DoTs) > Creeping Terror > Affliction > Crushing Darkness > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning(Your procing Wrath) > Death Field(20%dmg increase on DoTs) > Creeping Terror > Affliction > Crushing Darkness > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning

NOTE: Creeping terror is a 2 second stun and will add 500 resolve to the target. After 1 more stun/cc/knock back they will be immune to all further attempts till it wears off. ~15-20 seconds.

Tactics
IMPORTANT: Make your self an unattractive/hard target. Do not sit where people can easily reach you. Sit on the edge so a force leap up to you they will fall down instead of land on the platform. Do not be the person that is 20 yard ahead of everyone else or be the person in the front. You have 30m range... take full advantage of it. That said do not sit at 29m and the person backs up out of range. Aim for about 15-20.
Extrication is the most powerful skill you have in huttball. Pull the alli 30m to you. Be that the endzone or up on the platform after he gets knocked off.
Recklessness to cause 2 force lightnings to be crits
Chain Lightning(Insert Lightning Strike until you get Chain Lightning) when Wrath procs and Crushing Darkness is on CD.
Electrocute to prevent a person from running away also to stun melee
Overload to knock-back melee
Whirlwind to cc a healer
Jolt to interrupt some high dmg channel or self heal
Purge to remove negative effects
Force slow on a huttball carrier, melee charging you or enemy who is fleeing
Force Speed after stunning a melee to get range fast.
Obviously you want to have your DoTs up on your target but it is not worth having them up on everyone. Just do your target.
Crushing Darkness is an AoE so when your target dies look for who already has the debuff and DoT them. If you find someone with the debuff that's a 20% dmg increase on the DoT's ticks.
Recklessness does not affect DoTs. It will make Crushing Darkness's initial dmg crit but the ticks will be normal chance to crit. its worth saving it for the Force Lightning.
IMPORTANT: Be mindful of where you do overload. The idea is to knock them off something or back in such a way they can not just run straight to you. Best example is huttball. Knock them off the ledge you have a 30m range... use it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Huntingez View Post
Another tip for those rolling a Sorcerer of any spec. Positioning is huge, like the OP mentioned, use his tips but also make full use of any pilliars/boxes/walls to LOS any other ranged or melee who would try to close a gap on you. Position yourself so you can attack your target(s) and stay LOS of others.

A few screenshots for everyone to show im not just talking out my ears. Video coming soon.
http://www.lukewalsh.net/images/Scre..._17_325399.jpg
http://www.lukewalsh.net/images/Scre..._24_094357.jpg
PvP on Youtube(Better Video)
PvP on Youtube 2
Last but not least I am on Tarro Blood name is "Kami" feel free to send me a mail or PST questions.

Kamikazie
12.23.2011 , 02:06 PM | #2
reserved

Madgecko
12.23.2011 , 02:27 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kamikazie View Post
There are tons of threads floating around saying how bad the class is at PvP because of various reasons such as we have to constantly move and melee is unbeatable.
Really? Where are you reading this? If anything all the melee are complaining about casters and ranged. As far as madness being weakin PvP, I'm specced madness and I know for a fact it isn't. Appreciate the guide but this first part kinda threw me off guard.

As far as the rest, it is spot on. I play my madness Inq exactly like a Shadow priest, build up your procs, dot and mind flay (force lightening), keep shield up at ALL times, if you get focused then shield, sprint, find a safe spot, heal, get back in the game.
The truth is usually relevant only to those who benefit the most from it. But that's not always true.

-Me

spellegren
12.23.2011 , 02:36 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Madgecko View Post
Really? Where are you reading this?
Just on the Sorcerer forums, 3 threads on the first page alone. Other than that though you're absolutely right there is nothing wrong with Sorc PvP, and it's all just inexperience or build confusion.

Ashnazg
12.23.2011 , 02:37 PM | #5
Your level 50 spec is beyond weird. Lightning storm and convection? No electric bindings and more importantly, no insta cast whirlwind?

Madgecko
12.23.2011 , 02:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by spellegren View Post
Just on the Sorcerer forums, 3 threads on the first page alone. Other than that though you're absolutely right there is nothing wrong with Sorc PvP, and it's all just inexperience or build confusion.
I can understand some issues with immobility of lightening but madness? A boy oh boy if anyone has experience with a shadow priest will love this spec!
The truth is usually relevant only to those who benefit the most from it. But that's not always true.

-Me

Madgecko
12.23.2011 , 02:40 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
Your level 50 spec is beyond weird. Lightning storm and convection? No electric bindings and more importantly, no insta cast whirlwind?
The pvp spec in the codec is how I role.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...MZcMfRsMkrfz.1

-Me

Kamikazie
12.23.2011 , 03:45 PM | #8
Really? Where are you reading this? If anything all the melee are complaining about casters and ranged. As far as madness being weakin PvP, I'm specced madness and I know for a fact it isn't. Appreciate the guide but this first part kinda threw me off guard.

As far as the rest, it is spot on. I play my madness Inq exactly like a Shadow priest, build up your procs, dot and mind flay (force lightening), keep shield up at ALL times, if you get focused then shield, sprint, find a safe spot, heal, get back in the game.
Its just on the sorc forums that people are complaining. Melee will always complain about ranged just as we complain about melee. If a melee does not close the gap hes going to get destroyed. If he closes the gap the ranged will get destroyed... generally. It comes down to how well can he play his class and you yours.

The pvp spec in the codec is how I role.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...MZcMfRsMkrfz.1
I recommend that spec if your looking for another DoT to bleed them out. However you lose the Chain Lightning which is perfectly fine but the force lightning procing wrath will easily be wasted unless you reinsert Lightning strike which is even on insta cast lower dps then force lighting. Like I said though you pick up that extra DoT which is also a 2 second stun... so its just a trade off. However well done on that talent tree.

maggito
12.23.2011 , 05:14 PM | #9
Thanks for this. My PvP experience with my Sorc has been World PvP only. The lack of mobility has definitely been a sort of issue for me. Unless I'm proccing with my lightning build I can have some issues. My alt is a Sniper. I was talking to a heal specced Sorc in warzones about how he liked them in PvP. He said he loved it and had tried all 3 specs. He recommended Madness for PvP as well.

After seeing this I might have to respec. My only experience with a Shadow Priest was messing around on my buddies back when WoW first came out lol. I ran a Shaman.

My Sniper has been great fun in warzones. I've got to try my Sorc.

kclemens
12.23.2011 , 10:00 PM | #10
Thanks for this