Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An anecdote regarding Distortion Field's missile break

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
An anecdote regarding Distortion Field's missile break

Hanak
07.30.2014 , 01:02 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
Reread.
You are right! I can't read well, too much maths in mah head. I wonder how long it took for that realization to come - I know I get caught up in the chase. But 5 a 5 minute hold... man, those are the times!
Ukvayat Hanak
Saberwing on The Ebon Hawk
Operations Leader and Recruitment Officer
"Return with Honor"

Nemarus
07.30.2014 , 01:17 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Hanak View Post
You are right! I can't read well, too much maths in mah head. I wonder how long it took for that realization to come - I know I get caught up in the chase. But 5 a 5 minute hold... man, those are the times!
Eh, it was thrilling at first ... but I couldn't take even a second to try and shoot back at anyone ... or type to warn my team that A was in trouble. It was just endless circling/flipping and careful use of cooldowns. And I could almost feel the seething frustration of the 4-6 guys there trying to pry me off. :P

While I enjoy the ability of one skilled pilot to make a game changing difference in a match, I do feel at some point that my team deserved to be punished for their poor deployment and match awareness. Especially since the guys trying to pry me off weren't derping, but instead mustered an impressive measure of coordination.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Anishor
07.30.2014 , 07:08 PM | #13
could be worse, could be Sha'nee or Zam in their A-wing/V-wing zooming around an asteroid. But seems pretty bad tactics on their parts to play into your strengths.
Transcendence, Jung Ma
Sranishor ( Vengeance | Vigilance) Theoros ( Carnage | Combat )
Council
"The Light in the Shadow."

Ymris
07.30.2014 , 09:29 PM | #14
Hello. I'm new to the forums. I'm by no means an expert on GSF, but I'm developing a playstyle that works for me. I can only drive scouts--the other ships seem too clunky to me. I don't use weapons that lock on, I use laser cannons and rocket pods. I use Distortion Field, and have it mastered with the missile break option. I'm still on the fence between lightweight armor and deflection armor. I rely *very* heavily on Distortion Field's missile break to stay alive.

Anyway, it seems to me that if I had been attacking your node, it would have been a different story because it would have been a lot tougher for you to outmaneuver me.

So the opposing team should have sent a scout after you. I don't see the problem.

Verain
07.30.2014 , 09:37 PM | #15
I mean, you think four strikes shouldn't be enough?

That's a lot of strikes!

Obviously a bomber, gunship, or scout, in place of one of the strikes would have solved the problem. That is, in and of itself, a really damned big problem.

For your question- take take lightweight armor.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Nemarus
07.30.2014 , 09:49 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Ymris View Post
Hello. I'm new to the forums. I'm by no means an expert on GSF, but I'm developing a playstyle that works for me. I can only drive scouts--the other ships seem too clunky to me. I don't use weapons that lock on, I use laser cannons and rocket pods. I use Distortion Field, and have it mastered with the missile break option. I'm still on the fence between lightweight armor and deflection armor. I rely *very* heavily on Distortion Field's missile break to stay alive.

Anyway, it seems to me that if I had been attacking your node, it would have been a different story because it would have been a lot tougher for you to outmaneuver me.

So the opposing team should have sent a scout after you. I don't see the problem.
Because of my combination of Distortion Field, Lightweight Armor, and crew members, my Evasion is such that you would rarely ever hit me with lasers or rocket pods, both of which are affected by Evasion.

Missiles and mines are the only weapons that really work against heavy Evasion builds, and Distortion Field protects against missiles too.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Ymris
07.30.2014 , 09:56 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Obviously a bomber, gunship, or scout, in place of one of the strikes would have solved the problem. That is, in and of itself, a really damned big problem.
But--isn't that why we can choose a different ship when we respawn? Isn't it supposed to be a rock/paper/scissors type of thing? If so, why would four rocks beat paper? EDIT: Also, isn't that what teamwork is for? "Hey guys, can we get a scout, bomber, or gunship to help out at B?" I haven't seen any matches in which there wasn't a variety of ship types on both teams.

As for my lasers and rocket pods not hitting high-evasion targets.... I've definitely noticed that. I rarely try to gun down other scouts, though I am experimenting with short term accuracy boosts. I don't hesitate to dogfight a strike fighter, though

Verain
07.30.2014 , 10:30 PM | #18
If this game is rock paper scissors, it's a pretty terrible versions. Strikes don't "beat" anything, and being able to push a guy off a node should not require that much effort.

This is just another thing that means strikes need buffs, it's not new.

Ymris
07.30.2014 , 10:37 PM | #19
Actually.... the fact that I, as an average pilot, can go into a 1v1 dogfight with *any* strike fighter with confidence, tells me that you're right. Buff strike fighters.

EDIT: I have noticed though, that a single bomber with a little bit of time to lay mines can hold a node for just as long.

Verain
07.30.2014 , 11:41 PM | #20
Yea, a bomber is definitely better at node holding than a scout.

I'll point out the bomber actually pays for that though!