Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I give up

Teschmacher
07.27.2014 , 05:43 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Pathlight- View Post
Anything worth it takes time to master. You expect to just waltz in there and instantly kill experienced players left and right ? lol

If you are not willing to take the time to practice, you don't belong in any kind of high end pvp or pve content. Fare well.
I don't expect to be topping kill charts. I do, however, expect to survive long enough to fire off abilities and figure out what they do. I expect some sort of tutorial that does more than explain how to target, how to fire your weapons, and how to capture an objective. I didn't even need a tutorial for that. What I NEED is a tutorial on how to take an enemy base without being one shot by its turrets before I can even get a missile lock. What I NEED is a tutorial on how to figure out which side of an asteroid or base a target is located from long distance, and maybe even an explanation how starship sensors are so much better than the ones thousands of years later in which an imperial fleet can't detect the Millenium Falcon in an asteroid field. And I could definitely use a tutorial on the thought process involved that determined that joystick/gamepad support, a basic feature of every single Star Wars space combat game that's ever been released (with the exception of this game, and Clone Wars Adventure, which, quite coincidentally, has been cancelled), wasn't worth implementing in a game whose fanbase was clamouring for a better space game than the horrible afterthought railshooter (based on a Clone Wars Adventures mini-game, by the way). Flight sim games are why USB joysticks exist. Again, if a game from 2004 can find the resources and talent to include it, why can't this one?

I'm more than willing to "take the time to practice"....but this isn't practice. It's free requisition points for everyone else. I'm not learning anything. I'm just getting more and more frustrated. I could spend a decade doing this, and I wouldn't learn anything other than "you lose, but here's your participation trophy anyway. If you want to get better, just keep showing up, you'll eventually have enough trophies to Pay-To-Win". And I'm just not willing to pay for such an awful Star Wars experience. It's all yours. Be careful not to choke on it.

Ramalina
07.27.2014 , 06:28 AM | #12
Well, if GSF is too much to learn, you definitely don't want a 'real' combat flight/space sim. A good sim is far more complex, and the most detailed ones are ones where you're likely to die many times just trying to learn to take off or land.

That said, the suck-tastic nature of the GSF tutorial has been known and commented on since December 2013. Improving it is apparently not a priority for Bioware.

If you want help learning the game:

a) don't be whiny
b) ask a more experienced player specific questions (want to kill turrets? what are you flying and what weapons are you using?)
c) if at all possible get in /gsf chat channel in one of the more populated servers ( The Ebon Hawk, Bastion, Harbinger) and ask for help including voip server info (probably TeamSpeak 3 or Mumble ) because tutoring will go much faster if your teacher can talk to you as you fly. For instance an hour with voice comm based tutoring might be worth a week or two of being mystified on your own.

As far as missiles go, missiles are really quite weak in GSF (seriously, it's a very blaster centric game). I don't have time to give a full missile evasion guide right now, but your best choices of engine component until you learn to avoid them manually would be either power dive, koigran turn, or snap turn, as those are the ones with the shortest cooldowns. Barrel roll is very useful in other ways, but it is the longest cooldown missile break so you might want to swap out of that if it's what you're currently using.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

zvbm
07.27.2014 , 08:12 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Teschmacher View Post
I have problems with being a "level 1" player pitted against "level 55" players. .
Level makes absolutely no difference in GSF. The ships and components that a lvl1 player gets when they start out are exactly the same as those a lvl55 player gets.

Skill doesn't mean jack squat when your opponent can survive 200 direct hits and you can't even survive 1.
While this is an obvious exaggeration, it's true that some blasters (rapid fire lasers) are horribly underwhelming. I'd suggest looking at the guides on here. (There's a really good one by Anastasie) to get an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of different components and the playstyles of the different ships so you can decide which you'd rather invest in.

Personally, I didn't have any trouble getting kills even when I first started GSF on stock ships so I'm not sure where you're coming from.

And as far as queue times making tiered stages to GSF impossible....well, if GSF were anywhere near as good as you want to believe it is, then there wouldn't be an issue with long queue times, now would there?
Try queuing for a flashpoint and GSF at the same time. It's almost always the GSF queue that pops first. (unless you're queued as a tank for the flashpoint)

There's a lot of people who play GSF and enjoy it. They were all newbies at the start. It doesn't take weeks of grinding to get good at GSF. The learning curve is rather steep if you're trying to get to the ace level but for a regular player it's not very hard to learn.

If you still feel that it's not the game for you, then just leave. No game can cater to everyone and whining about it doesn't help.

~zvbm

SammyGStatus
07.27.2014 , 08:37 AM | #14
I consistenly top charts in stock ships, as I'm sure many experienced pilots do. Skill means a lot more than you're giving credit. It's confusing at first, and the tutorial doesn't really prepare you for a full on confrontation, but if you're giving up that's cool. This isn't everyone's cup of tea, yet there is a lot to be said for someone who attempts to get better via asking for help or grouping with experienced pilots and joining them in a VOIP so they can explain what's going on and ell you what's wrong.

Best of luck in PVE (yuck!)
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

TrinityLyre
07.27.2014 , 08:56 AM | #15
Bye bye.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Magira
07.27.2014 , 09:47 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
This isn't everyone's cup of tea, yet there is a lot to be said for someone who attempts to get better via asking for help or grouping with experienced pilots and joining them in a VOIP so they can explain what's going on and ell you what's wrong.
No, this is certainly not the solution. Since one must already own by, ready-made solutions of supposedly experienced players do not help much.
Also meet in the VOIP Premades rather not the best players, rather those who seek easy victories without much own skills.
Take better contact with really good solo AND group players. If possible, those that are not dependent on crutches such as VOIP.
The Red Eclipse: Ynaxi, Thamari, Shakrj , Lorilee, Maedu
Guild: The Wookiees Legacy:Shockwaverider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider

SammyGStatus
07.27.2014 , 09:56 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Magira View Post
No, this is certainly not the solution. Since one must already own by, ready-made solutions of supposedly experienced players do not help much.
Also meet in the VOIP Premades rather not the best players, rather those who seek easy victories without much own skills.
Take better contact with really good solo AND group players. If possible, those that are not dependent on crutches such as VOIP.
My comment was talking to people makes it easier to learn how to play - I'm not going to type as much in a match as I would over VOIP when trying to explain what's happening in real time. Not the whole premade VOIP discussion again. And Mumble is free to download - u just have to listen remember.
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

AceFirstCav
07.27.2014 , 10:06 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
I consistenly top charts in stock ships, as I'm sure many experienced pilots do.
Really? Stock ship without any upgrades? It is in matches where are most of other pilots (friendlies, enemies) 2-shippers (newbies, not veterans with just one ship in hagar ) or skilled veterans? In the latter case it would mean that you are incredibly good pilot or that veterans are really very bad.

eedwana
07.27.2014 , 10:41 AM | #19
I guess you made your choice to quit albeit based on a rash and uninformed opinion.
Too bad. We need more people playing. To whoever thinks communicating effectively
Through VoIP in an online competitive game is over the top. You sir and or ma'am are a masochist.
TOR [Resurgence]
SWG [Force Hunters]
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Imperial Ace

DamascusAdontise
07.27.2014 , 11:07 AM | #20
Some ships like the t3 scout get up to 3 missile breaks, other ships can get 2, while a few others only get one or none. Its not exactly like chaff, so I see where your confusion comes from. You need to read the component descriptions and they will tell you, some components such as distortion field unlock the missile break as you upgrade them.

I won't really waste my breath since your position seems to be intractable, but I can tell you are likely in starter ships (which suck compared to other craft) and that you have not played many games (or else you would have had some unlocks). I can also tell you haven't read any of the guides. If your unwilling to learn then im afraid your experience will never get better.

There is actually a lot to this game, and good flying incudes timing carefully the use of components and choosing when to fight and when to run. Upgrades help a lot, but require you to play for a while learning the ropes and being fodder in competitive matches. IMO this is no different than any other PvP game though so go figure.

All the info is here, its your choice to ignore it
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!