Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware Strikes Again! Stupid Flashpoint Changes that were never needed!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Bioware Strikes Again! Stupid Flashpoint Changes that were never needed!

Nkya
07.23.2014 , 02:39 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
Moooo. Who cares? It's a flashpoint. You can face tank them, or you can cheese it. Who cares? There are no brilliant insights* into endgame tanking to be gained from not cheesing the encounters.
This cheesy mechanisms actually turn the encounters longer than they should. Requesting to use them induces you're not confident enough to deal with a more efficient mechanisms.

It's similar than CC a mob in a pack while you can just cluster for killing them by AOE. You can do it, it's safest, there is no reward for not doing it. But it's time waste and a display of lesser confidence.

Irongut
07.23.2014 , 04:39 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post
The point of the cave/pond stratagey is to make the boss less difficult. those adds if not dealt with quickly can kill a group even with a really good healer (my dad can attest to that as his main is a Mercinary Healer, and he is nearly the top healer in my guild [Gone Sithing on The Harbinger]) So, the knowledge of being able to kite the boss previously isnt an exploit, it's a tactical advantage. If your fighting something, you want every single advantage you can get right? Cause, if you dont your kinda stupid. It's similar with the wookie fight in HM Cad, that's a tactical advantage, not an exploit...
Both strategies take longer to execute than tanking those bosses properly. Neither strategy is necessary even if your gear isn't great. I play all roles and I have no problems with those bosses on any character.

Faster fights = more credits and comms per hour = advantage (and more fun!)

Now would you rather be cheesy and use lame tactics or fast and making more credits?
◄[|||||||█[☼]█[███████████████████████████████████)

wainot-keel
07.23.2014 , 05:30 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by DalekTheCat View Post
There is no argument that there are other effective ways to do the fight. I was merely pointing out that using the shuttle is one way to make it a very straightforward, uncomplicated, and fast encounter.

1. Burn boss.
2. Oh look, Explosive Fuel.
3. AoE taunt. (It's one keybind and not difficult or extreme.)
4. Loot and move on.

If you prefer to do it another way, that is fine, but the shuttle method is also valid and effective.
*shrug*

In my experience, the shuttle thing has made the fight messier and longer everytime, specially if you have melee dps. If I'm not tanking it, I try to discourage it. Usually telling people not to run around the yard when adds stick to them, trying to outrun them, and keep hitting the boss is good enough to make it through

krakadyla
07.23.2014 , 06:13 AM | #34
I would actually prefer them to add more cheese-out mechanisms rather than take away, if only to piss off those highly obnoxious "If you are not playing the game like I do, you are playing it WRONG!!!!" types. It's not a job where precision and efficiency matters, it's a game, something that people can have fun with. And if someone thinks it's fun to have it easy by tricking the system, hey, more power to them.

rantboi
07.23.2014 , 06:18 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post
Nine times out of 10, i actually am a tank with my dad and me, PT tank, and i DO know that the wookie's flamethrower attack kills the ugnaughts, the reason why i use the stratagey for that fight is because 9/10 the healer will take aggro on the Ugnaughts, and it makes it stupidly easy to group them up by kiting the boss to the police car, and have the heals stand on top.
That just means you suck. I'm pretty mediocre tank but still have no problem grabbing the pigs before they decide to go for the healer.

wainot-keel
07.23.2014 , 06:39 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by krakadyla View Post
I would actually prefer them to add more cheese-out mechanisms rather than take away, if only to piss off those highly obnoxious "If you are not playing the game like I do, you are playing it WRONG!!!!" types. It's not a job where precision and efficiency matters, it's a game, something that people can have fun with. And if someone thinks it's fun to have it easy by tricking the system, hey, more power to them.
If the "cheese-out" mechanics work out nicely, I'm all up for them, like all raid bunched up on Corruptor Zero hm to avoid mines.
But some kinda reminds me of the "shortcut" on S&V pugs like to take for example, going for the warlods boss, where to avoid that one trash pull people take the long way, which results in a waste of time, specially when someone falls off from those pipes on the sides. Taking out that trash mob, with some many knockbacks and pushes in a 16 man, can take literally seconds, only one has to be killed the usual way (stimfiend iirc).

Halinalle
07.23.2014 , 09:08 AM | #37
Cave strategy was good only when you had tank who didn't know or couldn't(!?) tank back-against-the-wall or in the doorway, or if dps was lazy at killing adds before they head for the healer (lowbie).

But it was always faster to kill beast right at the doorway but of course it required dps to start unloading AoEs as soon as adds spawned.
The Progenitor, Legacy Level 50; The Red Eclipse, Legacy Level ??
Tanks: Juggernaut (P), 2x Assassin (P, RE)
Tanks: 2x Shadow (P), Vanguard (P), Guardian (P)

Mr_Fuzzle
07.23.2014 , 09:47 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
Cave strategy was good only when you had tank who didn't know or couldn't(!?) tank back-against-the-wall or in the doorway, or if dps was lazy at killing adds before they head for the healer (lowbie).

But it was always faster to kill beast right at the doorway but of course it required dps to start unloading AoEs as soon as adds spawned.
Honestly, you don't even need the dps to AoE. All tanks have natural AoE damage in their rotation, can hold the dogs as soon as they spawn by simply doing one of their on demand AoE attacks and them proceed to slowly kill them their self. Sure, if dps drop an AoE or two it gets done faster, but it's a non-issue in terms of dealing with the adds given a tank who is breathing.

wainot-keel
07.23.2014 , 10:35 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr_Fuzzle View Post
Honestly, you don't even need the dps to AoE. All tanks have natural AoE damage in their rotation, can hold the dogs as soon as they spawn by simply doing one of their on demand AoE attacks and them proceed to slowly kill them their self. Sure, if dps drop an AoE or two it gets done faster, but it's a non-issue in terms of dealing with the adds given a tank who is breathing.
Not so good approach with non overgeared tanks/healers. Try to kill those 4 dogs with the 156 set from Oricon and survive them and the boss while slowly doing it before another batch of dogs spawns, specially if the dps is strong and they are burning the boss down quickly

Tank picks the adds up so they don't go for anyone else, usually the healer, which keep the dogs near boss. It's the DPS' job to kill them. If they use AoE, they also dps the boss. Don't see a good enough reason to spare them of such thing.

AshlaBoga
07.23.2014 , 10:38 AM | #40
Cheesing the beast takes LONGER than doing it the intended way. Why on earth would people want to make Athiss longer?
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption