Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Guide to Advanced PVP Tactics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The Guide to Advanced PVP Tactics

Icykill_
07.22.2014 , 08:41 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
Also... Since I posted this I've seen some of my suggestions used against me this weekend. Thanks StimAddicts! LOL
which is why I am reluctant to share some of my better strategies... Can't give away all the Crown Jewels... Maybe be a bit more general

OneSputnik
07.23.2014 , 08:59 AM | #12
Great info, thanks for sharing. My first toon reached 55 only recently and as I find my interest in PVE quickly waning I am now turning to PVP. Long way to go before I'm properly geared - cleverer play seems the way to go to enjoying the matches. Gear or no gear... not everything is a death match!

Phagea - JungMa

nrevox
07.23.2014 , 09:37 AM | #13
Well said sir.

RicoZaid
07.23.2014 , 11:50 AM | #14
Thanks for this post
60 (64 valor) Powertech, 60(22) Mercenary, 60(9) Sniper, 60(1) Juggernaut, 60(1) Assassin, 60(45) Scoundrel, 60(11) Sage, 57(10) Commando, 55(58) Shadow, 55(46) Gunslinger, 55(45) Sentinel, 57(15) Guardian, 49(5) Agent, 55(1) Vanguard, 34(1) Marauder, Founder.

Anyakaschala
07.23.2014 , 04:32 PM | #15
Amazing thread, big massive kudos on this.

Only slight point of disagreement, but more on the lines of obscure strategy in a voidstar. If you have a teammate capping 1st door, and you have your stunners and knockbackers in position, block the capper. meaning, just get in the way. Why? juggs, guardians, sents, marauders, etc... why they essentially do is tab target and leap. At least the normal player does. By leaping to you, you give the capper possibily that extra half a sec to cap before they realize they're attacking the wrong person.

And while some might pew pew this strat, I understand, but let's face it, someone with an ae stun or an ae deathfield, or whatever, they would have hit the capper anyways. This is just a for what it's worth, I've seen it work before, done it myself before as well.

Note: really this is only seems to be a viable tactic in voidstar. On pretty much any other map, it just doesn't work because it's not a door, or obscure blind corner. That said, if someone is capping, play some defense, stuns, knockbacks, slows, etc...

Other points of note: let your speed demons be speed demons. Meaning sages and sorcs. On a recently exploded door, let them run and cap. They have 2 speed boosts. Force speed and mental alacrity. They can get to the bridge faster than you can. They can get to the force field wall faster than you can, they can get to the computer faster than you can. Thus, play some defense, give them the time they need.

Anyakaschala
07.23.2014 , 04:39 PM | #16
Other points of note:

on voidstar: the leap thing and the pull thing, f#$%king brilliant, I never thought of that or even seen it. But I will use it.
on voidstar: healing the capper, this is a massive no-no if you are a commando, esp if you are using hammer shot. All that ends up being is a line between you and the capper.
on Alderaan: when capping, use LOS as you cap, most times people come straight at you, the shortest line between them and you. By slightly offsetting yourself, you can get to a point where they just don't have a chance to leap at you, or a get off a shot before you cap.

Anyakaschala
07.23.2014 , 04:50 PM | #17
Other point of note: east/west, mid/grass/snow, pylon: on incoming calls. you don't need to type a sentence, or even a complete word

east/west: e3 is sufficient for east 3 incs, g/m/s, p is really all it takes.

I've been toying with the idea of e2n2, meaning east inc 2, need 2 to help. Granted, depends on the defender trying to hold, and if they are getting attacked by 2 people, by the time help arrives they'll probably need 2 to help.

Other quick thoughts on nodes: if a stealth is trying to sap and cap, don't break the sap with you cc break, all you're gonna do is get sapped again, and then stealth has a free shot. Instead, use the time to type out the inc. Also note here, don't stand next to the node. Make the stealther move to get to the node if they're trying to sap/cap. It's a second or 2, but that's usually the difference between a successful defend and getting sap/capped.

2ndarily, if you are defending, when you're clear, call clears, it points out some of the things that OP noted, 1) meaning that you are there, thus it's easier for a good player to know who is defending, what class is defending, and keep an eye on them. Calling clears, also alerts teammates of possible zergs, if you are holding snow solo and you just capped mid, they'll probably send people, be ready.

Other minor points, learn quickly how many stealth the other team has because they'll be able to pretty much completely destroy a solo defender if they work as a team if they have more than 1.

SilverMagnum
07.24.2014 , 08:54 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Anyakaschala View Post
Other minor points, learn quickly how many stealth the other team has because they'll be able to pretty much completely destroy a solo defender if they work as a team if they have more than 1.
I agree with this point a ton. As someone who very commonly runs in a four-man stealther premade (our usual comp is two deception sins, one stabby operative and one healer operative), if you don't count stealthers (especially on Novare and Civil War) you're going to be in for a bad time. It's far too easy for us to send one of our sins to defend our home node, two to the off node and our healer op to mid, to be joined by one of our sins after the ninja cap. And if things don't go as planned, people never seem to realize we have 3 DPS stealthers and it's easy for us to ninja nodes (because no one ever leaves more than two defenders).

The one suggestion you made that I'm not sure about is leaving your best duelist on your off node when you only have one. If we were to do so (in our premade's case our other assassin that's not me... I'm working on that one!), our ability to take one of the other team's nodes is hampered in my mind. Usually if we're down a node, we leave our team's second-best duelist (that's me!) on defense because as a deception sin with all my CDs up (if I don't have my CDs, the other sin will stay if he does), I can win the vast majority of 1v1s and if I'm going to lose or I get rushed I have enough CDs (stealth, phase walk, etc) to survive long enough to make the call out and for help to arrive.

But as everyone else has said, this is a great thread that all newer PvPers should read. Hell I've been playing since early access and it was a good read (I like the idea of having four people attack one node and then send the other three to the off node on a delay... it's similar to what we do with stealth but we'll try it with non-stealth too)
Colt - Victarion - Artessia - Corana - Slyde: The Gamble Legacy
Remnants of Hope / Vestige of Despair

Lanzend
07.24.2014 , 10:39 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
Thanks for all the replies and alternative strategies. These are just the ones I've found the most success with and are perfect for the groups I run with.

Also... Since I posted this I've seen some of my suggestions used against me this weekend. Thanks StimAddicts! LOL
Great post looking forward to the rest of it! <Stim Addicts> would love to have your pub toons on JC if <Pwnstars> doesn't gain the steam you're hoping for

BTW I found out who that mando was that you thought was fishy... He's a healer in full tank PvP gear... its a troll toon meant for laughs (who wouldn't focus the 42k mando healer in a wz?). One of my guildies knows his main who is otherwise a stellar scou healer. He posted a threat on JC server forums for sh@ts and giggles about it too.
REFUGEE FROM JC ON HARBINGER
FORMERLY WONDERWOMANPWNZ NOW SIMPLY SHADE
MOAR TANK TUNNEL PLXZ
GM - <Forty-six and Two>

Tim-ONeil
07.24.2014 , 02:30 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Lanzend View Post
Great post looking forward to the rest of it! <Stim Addicts> would love to have your pub toons on JC if <Pwnstars> doesn't gain the steam you're hoping for

BTW I found out who that mando was that you thought was fishy... He's a healer in full tank PvP gear... its a troll toon meant for laughs (who wouldn't focus the 42k mando healer in a wz?). One of my guildies knows his main who is otherwise a stellar scou healer. He posted a threat on JC server forums for sh@ts and giggles about it too.
I'll take you up on that.
Rhy Phin
Kl Nemonica
The Ren Legacy Server: Ebon Hawk US/EAST