Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Operations: Where to start?

MystbladeWA
07.16.2014 , 10:19 PM | #1
Ok, I am not new to this game by any stretch of the imagination. I have been playing since prelaunch but I guess I am a pretty casual gamer, and up until now I had been focusing on PVP, GSF, Leveling etc.

I would really like to get into doing some Operations but, as someone who has pretty much ignored this element of the game until now, the prospect of trying to learn the fight mechanics of the what...5/6?..55 Ops is more than a little daunting.

I guess my question is, which one or two should i focus on trying to bone up on? I have dps/heals and tank classes all in augmented 156/162 gear so i guess gear wise i am ok for any SM ops. Are there any more relatively easy ones to learn? I got drafted into a Dread Council kill the other day, and that seemed pretty straight forward. Should te DF/DP combo be the better one to start with due to the Underworld drops? The MMGs that the initial TFB/SnV quests give are mighty tasty tho....its a hard call, so I thought i would ask wiser heads.

Thanks in advance.
Hold'My'Beer Chill
I'Got'This Legacy

AshlaBoga
07.16.2014 , 11:06 PM | #2
I'd do the Classic (Level 50) Operations first. Sure the gear isn't good, but doing an HM EV or HM KP is good way to get to know the storyline (the Dread Master storyline starts in KP and continues through EC, TFB, SaV, DF and DP).

Personally, despite him being easy, I still find Soa to be a fun boss. If you want a challenge you can always 4 man NiM Soa or something.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Loc_n_lol
07.17.2014 , 12:26 AM | #3
You could start up on TFB, as it's the easiest lvl 55 operation, and the story-mode is still relevant gear-wise (unlike classic ops).
Or you can go straight to dread fortress. It's not much harder, it's faster (very few trash mobs), and it's much more popular nowadays. Drops slightly better gear too.
Scum & Villany is a very long operation (2+ hours), on the same level of difficulty and rewards as TFB. Seems to have become less popular lately, but you can find some weekly runs (just the first three bosses, <1 hour) for an easy start. That won't get you much gear at all, though, because the good drops come later.
Dread Palace is a tad harder and more "tactics"-heavy than other operations, especially the last boss fight. So it's probably best if you build up some experience and gear before you start tackling it. Then again if you found it straight-forward already... It can be hit or miss depending on the groups, really.

Oh and Toborro's courtyard is more like an instanced world boss than a real operation. Feel free to join the story mode version, this is really easy. Pug groups often want to run both the hard and story mode at the same time however, and hard mode requires a bit of gear to succeed.

If you're going to pug any operations, please read up a guide before showing up. You'll still have a lot to learn, but it'll make things easier on yourself and the group. That's why I think it's easier if you focus on one or two operations, run it on a character or two for a couple weeks, and once you're getting the hang of it, start learning another one.

Adaliaya
07.17.2014 , 12:31 AM | #4
I started from DP. Not a wise move.
Classic Ops are good also to learn how does bigger group work.
I would avoid SnV, DF and DP, especially DF and DP at beginning as they require more coordination and at least Dread Ops also higher gear than you have (tough there is usually overgeared carriers)

thewitchdoctor
07.17.2014 , 12:48 AM | #5
I'd agree with Loc-n-Lol: start at TFB or S&V.

EV and KP are OK and all, though I dislike Soa immensely. I preferred KP over EV, personally. I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find EC runs. It wasn't too popular. If some crazy decoration drops there then I could see it getting farmed again.

So, S&V and TFB. Both are fun and pretty well done.

DF and DP are pretty short and to the point ops.

If you are in a guild: see what they are doing. If you are only PUGging then your choices are more made for you, I'd imagine.
Good. Bad. I'm the twi'lek with the saber.
DPS: Carnage Marauder - Combat Sentinel
Tanks: Powertech - Vanguard
Healer: Operative - Scoundrel

kojottt
07.17.2014 , 02:20 AM | #6
If you want go with proper story with ops do: EV -> KP -> EC -> TfB -> S&V -> DF -> DP

where EV and KP are easy regardless of chosen mode, EC still makes people cry even on story mode.
TfB and S&V aren't that hard, you just need to follow tactics (read them, or say you are new), pretty much the same with DF and DP

Methoxa
07.17.2014 , 02:51 AM | #7
If you dont care about the red line in the story i would suggest you to do 16m TFB + Oricon for commendations. Then get 180 gear from commendation vendor ( ultimate commendation). With the weekly quests you can reach the weekly ulti cap easily and get full 180 in 3-4 weeks. Depending on your class you might switch the 180 armorings with lower set armorings for setbonus ( drops in TFB + S&V ). Its recommended to get both setbonus. With proper setbonus + 180 ulti gear you can go TFB + S&V Hm easily and maybe even Oricon Hm. Also highly recommended is to get at least the Obroan relics. Obtainable within 3 hours of pvp + daily + weekly. If you have some money to spare you can buy a 180 mainhand from the gtm. Dont buy relic/ earpiece/ implant because they are as expensive as the mainhand but doesnt effect your dps/hps/dtps as much as the mh does + all the things except for the mh are easilly obtainable in Oricon Hm ( Implant is dropped by Nefra #1 boss, Earpiece Bestia #1 boss DF, Relic df boss #2).

In case you get full 180 with 180armorings you might want to check Nightmares. Start with DF ( its first boss is very easy, nearly hardmode difficulty). When you killed the first boss you might want to check TFB + S&V to see what nightmare is about. After that you can go back to Dread Fortress and do bosses #2 - #5. Then Dread Palace NM.

This is not the "proper" story order but its the best way to get a char to the best possible equipment wihtout wasting time. If your more about the story or training your skill/experience in groups this way possibly isnt for you.
Revanchist

MystbladeWA
07.17.2014 , 10:14 AM | #8
Thanks all for the replies! It has given me some direction in which to start. Cheers!
Hold'My'Beer Chill
I'Got'This Legacy

hvnlydeath
08.03.2014 , 10:46 AM | #9
Hey Mystblade,

I am pretty much in the same situation as you. I am not new to the game, been playing for a long time and have 9 lvl 55's. I would classify myself as a casual player and have never done an operations. Usually play with a small group of friends, 4 people who are in the same situation as me.

Most of my toons have 156 - 168 augmented gear.

I am curious how you made out based on all the advice given here.

Regards,
Buc

MystbladeWA
08.04.2014 , 02:48 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by hvnlydeath View Post
Hey Mystblade,

I am pretty much in the same situation as you. I am not new to the game, been playing for a long time and have 9 lvl 55's. I would classify myself as a casual player and have never done an operations. Usually play with a small group of friends, 4 people who are in the same situation as me.

Most of my toons have 156 - 168 augmented gear.

I am curious how you made out based on all the advice given here.

Regards,
Buc
Hey there mate

Well, so far I have jumped into and completed SM DF and DP 8M on my Gunslinger and healed them on my Sage. On both occasions i joined a pug group forming on fleet and quickly informed the raid lead of my level of experience and was very fortunate to have had a very positive experience in both instances. Raid leaders were patient in explaining boss fights and positioning (altho it also might have helped that i had read the guides and made it clear that i knew the basics).

I have drafted into a couple of final boss kills for GF 30 Ulti's too, which is fine for me as i often really dont have the time for full operation runs and a quick 32-34 comms is always nice.

Some of those have been good, some bad. The ones that were bad were clearly groups that had wiped and lost members so were getting frustrated. Had a 16M SM DP like that the other day where the healers were REALLY struggling and they also had a new tank.

Anyway, I havent got into SnV (i hear its really long) or TfB yet. I really want those MMGs tho...

So, by way of an update, i guess, am I now raiding constantly? No, but i have tried a few out and they were fun. I am still a little paranoid about being 'that guy' that stuffs up and causes a wipe but i'll get into some more pug ops soon i think.

Cheers,
Hold'My'Beer Chill
I'Got'This Legacy