Rydarus' Guide to PVPing as a DPS guardian (Among other things.)

GrandLordMenace

NOTE: WORK IN PROGRESS. Not all sections completed

Hey guys!

For those who don't know me I'm a PVEer and raider here on the Ebon Hawk. I write PVE guides for dulfy and by extension reddit and the SWTOR forums, but I've been PVPing actively for the past 2-3 months and I've had a pet project of sorts in writing a PVP guide for the Guardian class, specifically as a DPS.

Because this guide is for PVP however, I do not plan on posting it on the class forums YET, as the only place I actually have to test these theories is here on the Ebon Hawk, which, you guessed it, is here! I'll be covering my main spec, Vigilance Guardian and by extension the juggernaut counterpart. I'll go over spec, skills, priorities, strategies for fighting other classes.

The one other thing I will be showing you how to do, is how to actually KILL a Vigilance Guardian, and by kill I mean completely dismantle the class using your knowledge of the basic skillsets the class and spec has. I'll supply various icons so that you know what icon on the buff bar means what. Each element I supply will come with a counter, and possible ways to deal with the counter (There may very well won't be!) I'll also go through stat priorities for both specs as well as cooldown priorities, rotation combos, etc. The guide will begin as a written text, but eventually will show images, videos, so on so forth.

Before starting, please refer to Dulfy.net for the Dulfy Vigilance PVE guide. The reason why I ask this is that while the rotations and priorities may be different, the procs, cooldowns, and abilities themselves and the way they function are almost identical, therefore it's still worth skimming.

Also my juggernaut is sloppy, I might not have all the ability names. I'll get them eventually :p

My big rule is Gear is a Crutch. I've seen people in full Brutalizer get torn apart, and people in full PVE gear rip face. As a wise Captain America once said,

"Big Man in a suit of armor, take that away and what are you?"

If you know the answer, then proceed with this guide.

Stat Priority and Specialization

Vigilance / Vengeance

Stats: 25 Percent critical chance, 95 percent accuracy, rest power and surge. Crit is flexible but very important. All mods and enhancements should be UNLETTERED. Augment MIGHT ONLY. Focus or Shield, preferbly focus. 4pc Vindicator Set Bonus.

Spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500RMoZcGMRRRsRrcczZc.3

Vigilance and Vengeance Priority: You like Master Strike / Ravage. A lot

The ability priority for Vigilance goes as follows in PVP. There are multiple priorities. Note that in some cases the priorities depend on combos. Note that I will only list the main rotational abilities. Fillers are dependent on preference and situation. Use common sense.

Right after leap:

ALWAYS LEAP first. Your opener should always be a Leap, then swing into one of these priorities depending on what is ready. If you can't leap, switch to general.

*Master Strike / Ravage (clip at 2.7 ALA PVE style, refer to dulfy guide) + Blade Storm / Force Scream OR dispatch / Vicious Throw

*Master Strike / Ravage

*Dispatch / Vicious Throw

*Overhead Slash / Impale

*Blade Storm / Force Scream OR Plasma Brand

*Force Push to reset leap and begin anew.

General

*Master Strike / Ravage

*Overhead Slash / Impale

*Plasma Brand / Shatter

*Blade Storm / Force Scream

Gather Strength / Pooled Hatred Priority

(Icon: http://www.torhead.com/ability/5B4MwdM/gather-strength)

(Icon:http://www.torhead.com/ability/gEDv1rs/pooled-hatred)

(This Priority takes Precedence over General Priorty, meaning if you have at least 2 stacks, switch to this priority)

*Overhead Slash / Impale

Killing a Tank Priority

*Plasma Brand / Shatter (Cannot be Mitigated by anything but a DCD)

*Blade Storm / Force Scream (Crits and bypasses defense and shield.)

*Force Sweep / Smash (Force and Tech with high crit chance)

*Follow General Priority thereafter

Cooldown Style One Priority: Anti Defense (Think Deflection, Saber Ward, ETC.)

*Plasma Brand / Shatter

*Blade Storm / Force Scream

*Force Sweep / Smash

*Force Push

*Force Stasis / Force Choke

Cooldown Style 2 Priority :Anti Force and Tech IE Resilience

*Master Strike / Impale

*Overhead Slash / Impale

Cooldown Classes:

Being Focused or about to be Focused but not low on health: Saber Ward, Warding Call, WZ Adrenal, Vigilance Enure

Low on Health: Focused Defense, See Medpack To Full

Saber Reflect: Self explanatory. Used on CHANNELED RANGED ATTACKS. Think Full Auto, Series of Shots, Cull, the Like. Cap is 4366 damage or so, so use it on something that has multiple components.

When to use Focused Defense?: Depends. on a Dot spec, when low. On a burst spec, the moment you can (unless assassin). On an assassin, refer to burst spec if his stealth is on CD, if Stealth is off CD, go **** yourself, you blew your FD and there is nothing you can do about it.

When to use Guardian Leap?: On. ***********. Cooldown. Bad guardians don't use Guardian Leap. Use it. A lot. It farms medals for you for protection points, AND it heals you, AND it helps the group. Why are you not using it on CD *******?!

When to use Cooldown Combinations? (Refer Below): When you are comfortable. Note that CD combinations may or may not be the best thing to use every time, as its sometimes better to CYCLE CDs instead of combining them.

Vigilance Cooldowns Combinations!

Iron Man: Leap + WZ Adrenal + Enure = 20 + 15 * 15 + roughly 30 = roughly 65-70 % DR for a few seconds.

Medpack to Full: Enure + Warzone Medpack + Guardian Leap

Reflective Defense: Focused Defense + Saber Reflect

Warding Defense: Saber Ward + Focused Defense

ADVANCED DCDS (Also known as, how to turn into a tank and hold a huttball while still being Vigilance Spec)

If you've got the hang of the basic spec, this is the hard part: learning how to stance dance RIGHT. Mostly, this applies to huttball, but can technically apply to any game map.

If you've ever become a competent player of the 23/23/0 tanking hybrid, this will already be familiar to you.

As a Jedi Guardian, you get the ability unremitting, which is very important. While available in Shien Form, it's unusable in any other stance. I'm going to teach you how to change that.

In huttball, BIGGEST RULE OF A VIGI GUARDIAN: WEAR. A. ***********. SHIELD.

Here is why.

Because the moment you pick up the ball in huttball, 90% of the time, you need to be in Tank Stance. The only time you are NOT in tank stance, is when you Force Leap. Here is why that is true.

Because you cannot gain unremitting in Soresu form, we need to "trick the system."

When you need to leap at a target, dance over to Shien Form, THEN FORCE LEAP at the target. In midair, swap back to Soresu. It should look like this:

Shien then leap, while leaping, swap to Soresu.

Why do this?

2 reasons: Soresu has very, very, very, very, very, VERY high armor rating and having Unremitting while in Soresu enables CC immunity while in your tankiest stance. That's number one.

Number 2 requires us to do basic addition. I believe bolstered you have 54% armor damage reduction if specced the way I spec. When you have unremitting in Soresu, you have 74% DR. This is repeatable EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. YOU. LEAP.

Salivating? I know I am.

This is ridiculously overpowered when you bumrush into the enemy endzone in huttball. Couple it with someone guarding you, and it's *********** amazing.

Taunting!!!

Taunting is THE most important part of playing a Guardian or Juggernaut, besides Guardian Leap / Intercede. Rule of Thumb:

Taunt a healer, uninstall game.

Taunt a Tank, better have a good reason to.

Taunt DPS that are doing high DPS. Very simple.

AOE Taunt is also very simple. If there are a lot of people around you, AOE TAUNT YOU *******!!!

AOE Taunt is ALSO used as a Stealth Breaker of sorts, if an enemy stealths to heal, popping AOE taunt will pull them back into combat. There is NO GUARANTEE that it will work, but it's worth trying. Also AOE taunting a Scoundrel / Operative's AOE stealth generally means that everyone stealthed will suddenly appear. It's great.

Stunning and Mezzing

In Vigilance stuns and mezzes serve a few purposes.

Force Stasis is a channeled Stun. Its used as an interrupt and a cooldown enabler. CD about to go down and need time to be able to use your dispatch? Force stasis, then clip with dispatch.

Awe is an AOE mezz. It can be used after you leap at a large group of enemies, or as an interrupt against a Juggernaut or Guardian (I'll go over why later)

Freezing Force can be used as a Stealth Breaker of sorts to slow, as well as drag enemies into combat.

How to Counter The Guardian?

Vigilance Guardian is probably one of the more straightforward classes to legitimately take down conceptually, as the class itself is a pile of tricks that each have a loophole of sorts. That being said, in practice unless you actually know the class, it can be a lot harder to practically take a Vigilance Guardian down. It has a healthy White to Yellow damage ratio, a good CD suite especially with Focused Defense, and a decent amount of control but no hard stun.

Countering the Vigilance Opener and Master Strike

The PRIMARY method to effectively neuter and destroy a Vigilance Guardian is to take away their most reliable source of damage: Master Strike. The generally most common and most logical opener to counter is the traditional opener of:

Force Leap -> Master Strike -> Etc

Force Leap is protected by Unremitting / Unstoppable which looks like:

http://www.torhead.com/ability/6HPlJt8/unremitting

http://www.torhead.com/ability/gUpzuGT/unstoppable

The ability lasts 4 seconds, or 2.66 GCDs. In a fight, the Vigilance practitioner's opener is broken down into:

GCD1: Leap GCD 2 and 3 being Master Strike. Master Strike is 3 seconds long or 2 GCDs, and because unremitting is only 4 seconds long, Master Strike has 2.5 seconds of CC protection. Fortunately for you, the final tick (Master Strike works in a 1-1-2 format, with 2 being the most potent) is at the 2.7 mark, meaning you have .2 seconds in order to perform a knockback, stun, CC, or other form of crowd control that prevents the target from attacking you.

This demolishes the Opener and leaves the Guardian completely open to attack.

All your stuns should be used for one thing: Master Strike. You never want a Vigi to get the entire Master Strike off, as that nukes his damage. If you have no stuns left, use a DCD that is potent against MELEE DAMAGE (Think Deflection or Saber Ward.

Defanging the Beast

TBC

Edited by GrandLordMenace

Don't necessarily agree with everything here, but in terms of actual information, you should fix the description of Warding Call. It applies multiplicative DR, not additive, meaning using it in combination with your natural DR would not boost you near 100%. 40% of 50% (assuming that's what your DR is at when you pop it) is 20%, so its actually a tad weaker than Overcharge Saber (which is an additive DR cooldown).

Its still obviously a good cooldown, but not as potent as some believe. I'm pretty sure WZ Adrenals and Guardian Leap are also multiplicative, and only the bonus from Unremitting and Enure in Vigilance spec are additive. An easy way to test is to look at your character sheet, if its additive you'll see the extra DR listed, if its multiplicative you won't.

Don't necessarily agree with everything here, but in terms of actual information, you should fix the description of Warding Call. It applies multiplicative DR, not additive, meaning using it in combination with your natural DR would not boost you near 100%. 40% of 50% (assuming that's what your DR is at when you pop it) is 20%, so its actually a tad weaker than Overcharge Saber (which is an additive DR cooldown).

Its still obviously a good cooldown, but not as potent as some believe. I'm pretty sure WZ Adrenals and Guardian Leap are also multiplicative, and only the bonus from Unremitting and Enure in Vigilance spec are additive. An easy way to test is to look at your character sheet, if its additive you'll see the extra DR listed, if its multiplicative you won't.

Like I said, work in progress. What don't you agree with? Curious. It's a lot harder to write a PVP guide since there are so many ways to do things.

Like I said, work in progress. What don't you agree with? Curious. It's a lot harder to write a PVP guide since there are so many ways to do things.

Just the idea that the only way to go as a tank is mostly DPS gear to boost Focused Defense/Blade Barrier. Focused Defense is only used once every 2 minutes and Blade Barrier while up often is relatively small (around 1.2k damage absorbed) and the increase from gear is really trivial (the formula for it was up a while ago, I'd have to dig to look for it).

Mitigation is still a decent option since you'll never do great sustained damage as a Guardian tank, especially with the melee restriction (its far easier to spread damage to enemies with a Vanguard or Shadow thanks to their abundance of 10+ meter attacks), although I'd still emphasize absorption over defense because of the lack of white damage in PvP. Remember, you still mitigate damage through guard.

Also, I know you haven't posted the spec yet, but in suggesting the 4 piece Vindicator rather than the 2 piece War Leader for tanking, I'm assuming you haven't considered picking up the lowered cooldown for Stasis. However, being that one of the main advantages to tanking in PvP is control, I think those 2 things (lowered cooldown on Stasis and extra second duration) are huge for PvP tanking. Spec wise, the only things you're really giving up are 3% defense from SSM, and depending on how you spec, a small bit of strength or accuracy.

This is how I spec in pvp when tanking. I totally agree that there isn't just one way to do it, but the advantage of this spec is it maximizes both utility and control, at the expense of a small bit of damage potential from the least damaging tank in PvP.

That said, appreciate that you're making a guide, these are just some things that I do differently, only the factual stuff I'd worry about, the rest is all debatable.

Edited by wadecounty

Just the idea that the only way to go as a tank is mostly DPS gear to boost Focused Defense/Blade Barrier. Focused Defense is only used once every 2 minutes and Blade Barrier while up often is relatively small (around 1.2k damage absorbed) and the increase from gear is really trivial (the formula for it was up a while ago, I'd have to dig to look for it).

Mitigation is still a decent option since you'll never do great sustained damage as a Guardian tank, especially with the melee restriction (its far easier to spread damage to enemies with a Vanguard or Shadow thanks to their abundance of 10+ meter attacks), although I'd still emphasize absorption over defense because of the lack of white damage in PvP. Remember, you still mitigate damage through guard.

Also, I know you haven't posted the spec yet, but in suggesting the 4 piece Vindicator rather than the 2 piece War Leader for tanking, I'm assuming you haven't considered picking up the lowered cooldown for Stasis. However, being that one of the main advantages to tanking in PvP is control, I think those 2 things (lowered cooldown on Stasis and extra second duration) are huge for PvP tanking. Spec wise, the only things you're really giving up are 3% defense from SSM, and depending on how you spec, a small bit of strength or accuracy.

This is how I spec in pvp when tanking. I totally agree that there isn't just one way to do it, but the advantage of this spec is it maximizes both utility and control, at the expense of a small bit of damage potential from the least damaging tank in PvP.

That said, appreciate that you're making a guide, these are just some things that I do differently, only the factual stuff I'd worry about, the rest is all debatable.

I don't know the exact number of what BB absorbs, I need the formula. I know for a fact that 1500 is where Dread Forged PVE tank gear absorbs, I suspect DPS PVP gear absorbs about 2.5-3k per activation but i'm not SURE SURE. Parsec is finicky with absorb stats so I don't rely on it in this specific case. I'll probably get a few duels in to see how much it mitigates from a major hit, something normal and easily calculable.

I'm also aware of the peelhybrid spec, which I actually really want to try, but I dislike the loss of 5 second saber reflect and AOE taunt heal. Out of laziness I run 4pc vind on tank as well, but since as you said, tanking is control, I'll probably end up saying something like 2pc mandatory, 4pc debatable. I love Guardian Leap heal.

My primary goal with this guide is to get strategies for fighting as and against guardians circulating on this server (you'd be surprised how many know how to stun through unstoppable, like 2 people XD).

I don't know the exact number of what BB absorbs, I need the formula. I know for a fact that 1500 is where Dread Forged PVE tank gear absorbs, I suspect DPS PVP gear absorbs about 2.5-3k per activation but i'm not SURE SURE. Parsec is finicky with absorb stats so I don't rely on it in this specific case. I'll probably get a few duels in to see how much it mitigates from a major hit, something normal and easily calculable.

I've tested it in DPS gear as opposed to tank gear, you absorb about 100 more damage (this is PVE gear btw). Its really underwhelming.

I've tested it in DPS gear as opposed to tank gear, you absorb about 100 more damage (this is PVE gear btw). Its really underwhelming.

Da***?

I'll grab a smash monkey friend and see if I can average the damage mitigated by BB to his smashes.

(This is why there's a community XD)

Da***?

I'll grab a smash monkey friend and see if I can average the damage mitigated by BB to his smashes.

(This is why there's a community XD)

Well if you're going to do it like that, I'd suggest having the other person use an attack with a static damage amount. Flame Thrower/Pulse Cannon works well. Also make sure they have no damage proc relics equipped.

Well if you're going to do it like that, I'd suggest having the other person use an attack with a static damage amount. Flame Thrower/Pulse Cannon works well. Also make sure they have no damage proc relics equipped.

I'm now fairly sure it only absorbs about 1512 >.<. What doesn't make sense to me though is that if DF absorbs 1500 in tank gear + setbonus, how is it that in DPS gear it's so low? Is the PVE setbonus so strong it makes up for the lost mainstat? Grrrr. you say it's only a hundred or so difference from tank gear?

I'm now fairly sure it only absorbs about 1512 >.<. What doesn't make sense to me though is that if DF absorbs 1500 in tank gear + setbonus, how is it that in DPS gear it's so low? Is the PVE setbonus so strong it makes up for the lost mainstat? Grrrr. you say it's only a hundred or so difference from tank gear?

The PVE set bonus is huge. What I did when I tested was PVE tank gear, PVE tank set bonus with the rest DPS gear, and full DPS gear, and I got about the same results as you.

If you think about it this way, the PVE set bonus is 20%... if its absorbing say, 1250, that would knock you up to 1500 right there (1250 x 1.2)... so yeah, I guess DPS gear is a bit larger than a 100, more like a 200-250 increase, but still relatively small. And that boost would be even smaller in PvP gear since you're working under a smaller stat budget.

The PVE set bonus is huge. What I did when I tested was PVE tank gear, PVE tank set bonus with the rest DPS gear, and full DPS gear, and I got about the same results as you.

If you think about it this way, the PVE set bonus is 20%... if its absorbing say, 1250, that would knock you up to 1500 right there (1250 x 1.2)... so yeah, I guess DPS gear is a bit larger than a 100, more like a 200-250 increase, but still relatively small. And that boost would be even smaller in PvP gear since you're working under a smaller stat budget.

agreed. Now I want to test the PVE bonus :D

On an assassin, refer to burst spec if his stealth is on CD, if Stealth is off CD, go **** yourself, you blew your FD and there is nothing you can do about it.

Teehee.

But if you're super quick you can try and aoe taunt as soon as the shadow/sin pops stealth. This keeps them in combat and unable to mez. Can let you try to locate them or at least buy some time for Focused/Enraged Defense to do it's job/reinforcements to reach you. Aoe mez can work to if you want to waste it on a 'maybe'.

Fullproof? Not even a little bit. But grasping at straws > clutching skull in shame while opponent /dances in front of you.

Oh and forcelift/whirlwind has reduced activation time. So rule for fighting shadow/sin; always have cc break off CD.

Now; counter to FD/ED for DoT specs that doesn't involve trying to run away while tears are collected in a jar, plz&thanx.

Teehee.

But if you're super quick you can try and aoe taunt as soon as the shadow/sin pops stealth. This keeps them in combat and unable to mez. Can let you try to locate them or at least buy some time for Focused/Enraged Defense to do it's job/reinforcements to reach you. Aoe mez can work to if you want to waste it on a 'maybe'.

Fullproof? Not even a little bit. But grasping at straws > clutching skull in shame while opponent /dances in front of you.

Oh and forcelift/whirlwind has reduced activation time. So rule for fighting shadow/sin; always have cc break off CD.

Now; counter to FD/ED for DoT specs that doesn't involve trying to run away while tears are collected in a jar, plz&thanx.

I do that, problem is phase walk. I also like to use Freezing Force to hunt for stealth, gives me warning if they are close. Tamaster from maven literally kicked my *** so hard, avoided Focused Defense every time :p.

In a 1v1 situation this is very unfavorable to not have any heals from FD etc, I just leap to the nearest target IF there is a nearest target.

I used to run Vigilance on my guardian. I even ran Vigilance prior to Focus getting nerfed. Thing about Vigilance that annoyed me was the kiting issue. That's helped a lot since BW gave us 15% increased movement speed. But here's the kicker: I have recently respec'd my dps guardian back to Focus, and I feel like I have more survivability, and I KNOW that I have more burst. With a correct rotation/priority, you can pop off 10k+ sweeps very consistently and now that Focused Defense is a decent DCD, we even get a cooldown reduction on it. Focus is not the same spec it was pre-2.7.

I am not sure why everyone hopped on the Vigilance band wagon. It was fun pre-2.0, but now its just stupid easy. I feel like it's become even easier than the pre-2.0 Focus spec. Saber Throw, Leap, Master Strike, Overhead Slash, Sundering Strike, Plasma Brand, Blade Storm, Force Push, Leap, Master Strike, Dispatch. If you're target isnt dead by then, either you need to regear or stop attacking tanks with healers behind them.

Regardless, good work, nice guide, but here's my $0.02: change the title away from DPS Guardian, because Focus is still ever viable, if not even more viable than Vigilance for its sheer amount of burst. Something like Vigilance PvP Guide should do. :D

Good job, Rydarus!

I need the formula.

The formula for Blade Barrier is Ability Healing Min/Max = 1 * HealingBonus + 0.05 * 2685.

Where 1 is the HealingCoefficient, 0.05 is the StandardHealthPercentMin/Max (min and max are the same for Blade Barrier) and 2685 is the StandardHealth at Player Level 55.

source

As absorb damage it has no chance to crit and receives no benefit from surge.

I don't strictly know how you measured your Blade Barrier as a tank, but based on what you said:

I know for a fact that 1500 is where Dread Forged PVE tank gear absorbs

I will infer that you looked at a log subsequent to a boss fight to measure the amount it absorbs in PvE Tank Gear, which you would be unable to replicated appropriately with equivalent DPS Gear and that you tested the DPS Gear with another player instead. I'd warn against changing the variable for the incoming attacker for two reasons. First is expertise, which will not only modify the incoming damage amount, but also the heals received while in combat with enemy players. The second is trauma, which is a persistent factor in PvP at all combat times, lowering heals received by a flat 35%. Where the amount falls exactly is supposedly calculated by Trauma (35%) - Expertise (up to 20.38%). So comparatively, you're suffering a 40%-55% disparity combining the Set Bonus and Trauma without even calculating stat loss between Dread Forged and Berzerker.

As an aside, because % healing abilities, most healing cooldowns, and absorb ability cannot crit, your pool of competing enhancements stats (accuracy, alacrity, shielding, surge) is narrowed to simply shielding and if you're stacking power to boost self healing, you are forced to purchase every single enhancements (a total of 7) from the PvP Ranked Enhancement Vendor for 2000 Ranked Warzone Coms and 800 Warzone Coms a piece (14000 Ranked / 5600 Warzone total OR 47600 Warzone ONLY Total).

The formula for Blade Barrier is Ability Healing Min/Max = 1 * HealingBonus + 0.05 * 2685.

Where 1 is the HealingCoefficient, 0.05 is the StandardHealthPercentMin/Max (min and max are the same for Blade Barrier) and 2685 is the StandardHealth at Player Level 55.

source

As absorb damage it has no chance to crit and receives no benefit from surge.

I don't strictly know how you measured your Blade Barrier as a tank, but based on what you said:

I will infer that you looked at a log subsequent to a boss fight to measure the amount it absorbs in PvE Tank Gear, which you would be unable to replicated appropriately with equivalent DPS Gear and that you tested the DPS Gear with another player instead. I'd warn against changing the variable for the incoming attacker for two reasons. First is expertise, which will not only modify the incoming damage amount, but also the heals received while in combat with enemy players. The second is trauma, which is a persistent factor in PvP at all combat times, lowering heals received by a flat 35%. Where the amount falls exactly is supposedly calculated by Trauma (35%) - Expertise (up to 20.38%). So comparatively, you're suffering a 40%-55% disparity combining the Set Bonus and Trauma without even calculating stat loss between Dread Forged and Berzerker.

As an aside, because % healing abilities, most healing cooldowns, and absorb ability cannot crit, your pool of competing enhancements stats (accuracy, alacrity, shielding, surge) is narrowed to simply shielding and if you're stacking power to boost self healing, you are forced to purchase every single enhancements (a total of 7) from the PvP Ranked Enhancement Vendor for 2000 Ranked Warzone Coms and 800 Warzone Coms a piece (14000 Ranked / 5600 Warzone total OR 47600 Warzone ONLY Total).

I just used a combat log and just got myself hit by a single target high damage ability to see how much torparse said it absorbs. It usually was around 1500 (My double proc relics affected it significantly). At any rate I don't plan on actually continuing the defense portion of the guide since the hybrid spec is more popular and base tank plays the same as DPS tank besides higher damage.

I used to run Vigilance on my guardian. I even ran Vigilance prior to Focus getting nerfed. Thing about Vigilance that annoyed me was the kiting issue. That's helped a lot since BW gave us 15% increased movement speed. But here's the kicker: I have recently respec'd my dps guardian back to Focus, and I feel like I have more survivability, and I KNOW that I have more burst. With a correct rotation/priority, you can pop off 10k+ sweeps very consistently and now that Focused Defense is a decent DCD, we even get a cooldown reduction on it. Focus is not the same spec it was pre-2.7.

I am not sure why everyone hopped on the Vigilance band wagon. It was fun pre-2.0, but now its just stupid easy. I feel like it's become even easier than the pre-2.0 Focus spec. Saber Throw, Leap, Master Strike, Overhead Slash, Sundering Strike, Plasma Brand, Blade Storm, Force Push, Leap, Master Strike, Dispatch. If you're target isnt dead by then, either you need to regear or stop attacking tanks with healers behind them.

Regardless, good work, nice guide, but here's my $0.02: change the title away from DPS Guardian, because Focus is still ever viable, if not even more viable than Vigilance for its sheer amount of burst. Something like Vigilance PvP Guide should do. :D

Good job, Rydarus!

Can't change titles, I don't plan on writing something for focus yet since I don't run it nearly enough. Also i despise focus for the AOE DR weakness :p

• 2 months later...