Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Marauder PVP Question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Marauder PVP Question

Cjirucha
07.15.2014 , 11:02 AM | #1
Hey guys, I play a carnage specced marauder for pvp. I haven't been playing the class for a very long time but I believe I'm starting to get the hang of the tricks of our trade. Now my question has to do with damage in unranked 55 warzones. My average damage per wz seems to be around the mid 300k area. On voidstar and other longer wzs it's usually anywhere from high 400k to low 600k. This seems to be on the low end to me but my question is- Is this normal for a burst melee spec? Or (to more experienced players out there) does this indicate a glaring problem with my playstyle? Just for background, I have full obroan pvp gear (which I am working on min/maxing) with 4 or 5 overkill augments (mostly blue). I think I also tend to play more objectively than some DPS (ex. I go straight for objective rather than force charging to nearest enemy etc.) Any advice/tips you guys could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

chosonman
07.15.2014 , 11:28 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Cjirucha View Post
Hey guys, I play a carnage specced marauder for pvp. I haven't been playing the class for a very long time but I believe I'm starting to get the hang of the tricks of our trade. Now my question has to do with damage in unranked 55 warzones. My average damage per wz seems to be around the mid 300k area. On voidstar and other longer wzs it's usually anywhere from high 400k to low 600k. This seems to be on the low end to me but my question is- Is this normal for a burst melee spec? Or (to more experienced players out there) does this indicate a glaring problem with my playstyle? Just for background, I have full obroan pvp gear (which I am working on min/maxing) with 4 or 5 overkill augments (mostly blue). I think I also tend to play more objectively than some DPS (ex. I go straight for objective rather than force charging to nearest enemy etc.) Any advice/tips you guys could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Honestly DPS is overrated if you're playing the objective. What pisses me off is in matches like huttball players playing death match to pad their stats and not playing the objective. I get from anywhere from 300k on up depending on the map. Voidstar seems to be where I get the highest DPS since it's a never ending battle throughout the scenerio. I've hit upwards of 1mill on Voidstar and Aldrean before. But in those cases both sides had good healers and neither team died very much. So again it really depends on the scenario. As long as you're helping the team to win that's really what matters. But what I did notice with my sentinel is more often than not my contribution to the team isn't reflected very well in the final medal count (especially as a combat sent) since we don't do much else besides DPS, so no medals for heals or protection and lots of times we end up near the bottom of the ranks at the end of the match which is kind of deflating after the fact.
Sun-Sin | Jihyea | Sejong | Jisun
Jung Ma | Ebon Hawk
<Lee Legacy >
Referral - free character transfer

AngusFTW
07.15.2014 , 12:03 PM | #3
objective.. what...
That guy with all the fat pink twileks with bleez in the name.
TOFN/TRE/much eu much wow
twitch.tv/bleezlord

Tevzz
07.15.2014 , 12:39 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AngusFTW View Post
objective.. what...
Objectives, what are this madness???

A very good way to drastically increase your DPS is to go after busy target and stay near allies...for example, if you see a lonely sage surrounded by 2 ranged on one side and a commando engaged to a guardian on the other side, I'd go after the commando, odds are he will be much less preoccupied with you you than the sage would be if you just jumped on him out of nowhere. If you stay near allies they back you up, and believe it or not, you spend much less time in the respawn.

Also, I don't know if you have the same problem I had a while back, but I used to tunnel vision, even if 5 people were going for me I'd keep whacking the same guy no matter how many defensive CD's he's popped. That's very bad, for DPS and in general, you're being much less effective. So a rule of thumb I have is to switch targets as soon as I see a DCD popped.

Oh and also...despite how squishy and tasty sorcs/sages might look, their Static barrier absorbs around 9k in terms of dmg. And that damage does not count on the scoreboard, so if you find yourself constantly hitting targets with Static Barrier on them, try to watch for those who don't have any, in other words, if you REALLY want a guy dead, but he has a bubble on him, you can wait 2-3 seconds for it to be popped by somebody else and then burst him down. Because in all honesty, a freshly popped bubble absorbs almost an entire procced Blade Storm with precision Slash up, and that's your most consistent burst.
Vanov - CarnageVanv - VengeanceDarrthvanov - DeceptionVnv - FocusVa'nov - APVnov - Concealment
The Shadowlands - Reading Rainbow - Triumph

sirullrich
07.15.2014 , 01:02 PM | #5
Killing the opposition is an objective also. To the OP don't be trolled by players saying "I do objectives so my numbers aren't as high as they should be." For example hutt ball most people just follow the ball like lemmings instead of actually controlling mid. Controlling mid is just as important as having the ball, but yet people don't stay mid.

I average, on my level 14 marauder, 400k damage and have done 600k damage. I just recommend going to the training dummies and find out how you can max out your damage output. I know it's lowbies, but I do just as much damage as you with less than half of your talents. Therefore your rotation or situational awareness is not up to par imo. I say just keep practicing and try to improve your numbers.

Finally if you are trying to get into an elite pvp guild or an elite 4v4 team people will only look at numbers. This is because a good player who knows how to put up big numbers usually knows how to play there class. It is much easier to teach someone objectives than to teach someone how to put up big numbers.

chosonman
07.15.2014 , 01:13 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by sirullrich View Post
Killing the opposition is an objective also. To the OP don't be trolled by players saying "I do objectives so my numbers aren't as high as they should be." For example hutt ball most people just follow the ball like lemmings instead of actually controlling mid. Controlling mid is just as important as having the ball, but yet people don't stay mid.

I average, on my level 14 marauder, 400k damage and have done 600k damage. I just recommend going to the training dummies and find out how you can max out your damage output. I know it's lowbies, but I do just as much damage as you with less than half of your talents. Therefore your rotation or situational awareness is not up to par imo. I say just keep practicing and try to improve your numbers.

Finally if you are trying to get into an elite pvp guild or an elite 4v4 team people will only look at numbers. This is because a good player who knows how to put up big numbers usually knows how to play there class. It is much easier to teach someone objectives than to teach someone how to put up big numbers.
Trolling? Look at your past posts.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...01#post7530001

This OP loves to make stuff up. He states in one quote that he agrees most premades are bad therefore it shouldn't be problem for him to win if they are bad. He then states pugs don't have the advantage of teamspeak and coordination, but if they are bad does it matter? He states that premades bring in 1 tank 2 healers and 1 dps. I know tons of people who premade and believe me most of them DO NOT BRING IN TWO HEALERS. Then he states that he plays against 3 tanks 3 healers, but honestly I don't ever remember playing in any 8v8's that were 3 tanks 3 healers 2 dps. OP you know why nobody dies. It's because you are not as good as you think. You claim in another post that you average 300k damage and 500k on a good match. Sorry bro 500k damage is NOTHING. I do 500k damage on my level 13 marauder. You need to stop CRYING FOR EVERY LITTLE THING THAT DOESNT GO YOUR WAY.
Who's the troll? 400 to 600? LvL 14? I don't even know how to respond to you. Talk to me when you've played lvl 55 warzones for a year and maybe even some ranked. Then maybe we can relate.

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/ch...86881817174452
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/ch...86927783195577
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/ch...87457560299975
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/ch...87878536377797
Jung Ma | Ebon Hawk
<Lee Legacy >

sirullrich
07.15.2014 , 01:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by chosonman View Post
Trolling? Look at your past posts.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...01#post7530001

Who's the troll? 400 to 600? LvL 14? I don't even know how to respond to you. Talk to me when you've played lvl 55 warzones for a year and maybe even some ranked. Then maybe we can relate.

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/ch...86881817174452
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/ch...86927783195577
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/ch...87457560299975
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/ch...87878536377797
I do play ranked and I am the highest rated guardian on my server. Please comeback next time. I use to even play ranked on your sever with VICIOUS AND TAKING LIVES. I do more damage than you on my level 14 and yes I do have a level 55 sent which is an alt. My team and solo rating on that guy was 1700+ season 1. Why are you showing me your crap rating. I don't get how I'm trolling? Is it because I used my level 14 mara as an example. Isn't it odd that I do more damage than you on my level 14?

chosonman
07.15.2014 , 01:22 PM | #8
I do play ranked and I am the highest rated guardian on my server. Please comeback next time.
No you're not but ok if you like to think you are. Tell me more about your lvl 14 sentinel and how OP it is. I'm in for a good laugh.
Jung Ma | Ebon Hawk
<Lee Legacy >

sirullrich
07.15.2014 , 01:24 PM | #9
No you're not but ok if you like to think you are. Tell me more about your lvl 14 sentinel and how OP it is. I'm in for a good laugh.
LOL ok number 2. HAHA SORRY

sirullrich
07.15.2014 , 01:26 PM | #10
Why do you even post your ratings when none of them have over 10 wins and not higher rating than 1270? I've played more rank than you on one guy compared to all of your toons combined. How do you even talk. I'm not saying my marauder is OP what I'm saying 300k is terrible for any 55 dps class and 500k dps for a level 55 is average at best.