Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hood Toggle has been "in the works" since February, 2012

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Hood Toggle has been "in the works" since February, 2012
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Pingonaut
07.12.2014 , 08:06 AM | #1
Update:
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey Pingonaut,

I know that hood toggle is something we have talked about intermittently at some cantina tour events but I know we haven't made a more "formal" reply about it on the forums. We know that this is a feature that some players really want to have as another method of customization for their characters. As it stands right now, this is not a feature we are actively working on. However, I can tell you that our team also has interest in this as a feature and it is something we regularly revisit to try to fit into our development schedule. Unfortunately it just isn't something that is in the cards at this time.

Hope that answers your question.

-eric
I'm happy to hear an official response. While it may not be being worked on at the moment, the developers still have it in their heads and discuss it. That's all I need.

original post:
It has been more than two years since the game launched, and that's two years of players asking for a way to toggle the hoods on their outfits. In this Community Q&A from February 2012 we were told that the hood toggle likely be in the next major patch after Game Update 1.2. Delays are acceptable, this is not.

Quote: Originally Posted by Community Q&A: Feb 17th 2012
NiklasWB: When will you make it possible for Force-using characters to pull up/down their hoods on their robes?

Damion Schubert: This is in the works now. It won't be in Game Update 1.2, but should get done in the next major update after that. And yes, we will extend this functionality to your Force-slinging companions as well
He even goes so far as to say that the functionality will be available for our companions, as well. This means that the feature was being tested and worked on enough to where they could release such information. If there were problems or bugs with the hood toggle option that kept it from being released, why not tell us? Why just leave us in the dark, waiting for a word about it for two years?

Why did they suddenly stop talking about it? Did they forget? Were they hoping we would forget? Just give us some explanation. Be it good or bad news it cannot be worse than knowing nothing at all.

Laris_Rai
07.12.2014 , 08:08 AM | #2
Things change. There's your answer.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Pingonaut
07.12.2014 , 08:10 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Laris_Rai View Post
Things change. There's your answer.
That's not an answer. If things change then say it.

Leafy_Bug
07.12.2014 , 08:13 AM | #4
The truth is, this game truly needs that hood toggle to bring back the people who left due to lack of content. Oh wait ...

Vandicus
07.12.2014 , 08:14 AM | #5
There were multiple times where they said that it had been delayed(mostly within 2012 iirc).

I don't know if they ever said they stopped working on it or not though.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Pingonaut
07.12.2014 , 08:19 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
I don't know if they ever said they stopped working on it or not though.
We would have heard it if they had mentioned ending it at all. I can't think of any mention of it after 2012, which is ridiculous. Say it's delayed, say it's canceled. Just say something.

Varium
07.12.2014 , 08:53 AM | #7
This is the reason why they have stopped giving pieces of information like that until they are completely ready to show it and they are certain that it's coming. People always get carried away by it, thinking that it's 100% certainty that it will come when they say things like that. What the probably meant that it was in a planning stage but later had to divert resources.
50 V Legacy

Pingonaut
07.12.2014 , 09:13 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Varium View Post
This is the reason why they have stopped giving pieces of information like that until they are completely ready to show it and they are certain that it's coming. People always get carried away by it, thinking that it's 100% certainty that it will come when they say things like that. What the probably meant that it was in a planning stage but later had to divert resources.
How is hoping for a hood toggle when they said they were working on it two years ago getting "carried away by it?" The point of the matter is, if you need to use the resources elsewhere and postpone the update tell us. Two years is a long time to wait for any bit of information.

Aries_cz
07.12.2014 , 10:07 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Pingonaut View Post
How is hoping for a hood toggle when they said they were working on it two years ago getting "carried away by it?"
In software development, things can change pretty quickly, new things become priorities, other things are being put on hold, etc.
Around the times of The Great F2P Switch, almost everything was put on hold while EA adopted a waiting pattern to see if the game will resurrect itself. When it did, a lot of things were given green light again. Hood toggle was probably not focused as much, because of many problems with it (drawing new models for every hooded item in game, animate every different kind of hood, etc). So it could be worked on, but it does not have any large priority.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

errant_knight
07.12.2014 , 10:10 AM | #10
They might say more if people didn't freak out about every single thing they get told.

I think it can be assumed that other things took priority because people were freaking out about other things more. I mean, they're not going to say, 'sorry, that's on the back burner while we service QQ about x, y,z,' because then there'd be flailing about that too. You don't hand a toddler a bottle then 'enjoy the bottle because we're not going for ice cream.'

Also, Aries_cz is exactly right.