Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What's the point of being melee in this game with the current state of PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
What's the point of being melee in this game with the current state of PvP

ToMyMa's Avatar


ToMyMa
07.12.2014 , 01:34 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
Yeah, melee is at such a disadvantage....

Go do some rankeds with a ranged class (specifically Merc/Sniper) vs. all melee, then get back to this thread, and let us all know how it went.
A shame that these forums don't work like reddit... because then this post would sit at the top

+1

DerTaran's Avatar


DerTaran
07.12.2014 , 03:23 AM | #12
It is still a 'melee preferred' game, but at least playing range classes is not as useless anymore as it was for the first two years.
B'zycon Legacy @ JAR'KAI SWORD
Turan 60 Commando; Annakami 60 Vanguard; Orotan 55 Sentinel; Taark 55 Scoundrel; Orokriste 55 Shadow
Amitha 55 Sorcerer; Fanalba17 Sniper

Nous voulons le retour de notre CM! Wir wollen unseren CM zurück! We want our CM back!

Nokecity's Avatar


Nokecity
07.12.2014 , 11:40 AM | #13
To sum up again what im saying is that this game (as far as pvp goes) no longer has a need for skill.

- Sorcs/Sages IMO we always a powered class "IF" you knew how to use them. I have been on 3 servers since the forced transfers and I always seen sorc/sages perform great in WZ's because guys knew what they were doing. Psibre, Satanus, Hype, Darc, Meo ... there are more but I wont name them all.

-Devs have dumb the game down for those who want every class to be easy to play and get in there and just have fun mentality but in reality they took the skill out of the game and now you only have to press 2 buttons to like melt someone . Devs nerfed smash (a no skill spec from the beginning) and created like 6 other variations of it in different AC's.

- Lets not even talk about TTK in this game. 1 stun and you're finished or damn near close to finish. That's all for that.

Im not saying melee is not powered in this game. What im saying is that ranged is at an advantage ( a to wide spread out advantage if there is more than one) *Reason* Game no longer requires skill to be affective in PvP (non-ranked)

DarthRaika's Avatar


DarthRaika
07.12.2014 , 12:08 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Nokecity View Post
To sum up again what im saying is that this game (as far as pvp goes) no longer has a need for skill.

- Sorcs/Sages IMO we always a powered class "IF" you knew how to use them. I have been on 3 servers since the forced transfers and I always seen sorc/sages perform great in WZ's because guys knew what they were doing. Psibre, Satanus, Hype, Darc, Meo ... there are more but I wont name them all.

-Devs have dumb the game down for those who want every class to be easy to play and get in there and just have fun mentality but in reality they took the skill out of the game and now you only have to press 2 buttons to like melt someone . Devs nerfed smash (a no skill spec from the beginning) and created like 6 other variations of it in different AC's.

- Lets not even talk about TTK in this game. 1 stun and you're finished or damn near close to finish. That's all for that.

Im not saying melee is not powered in this game. What im saying is that ranged is at an advantage ( a to wide spread out advantage if there is more than one) *Reason* Game no longer requires skill to be affective in PvP (non-ranked)
I am sorry but you are wrong on many levels. In regs the game is VERY well balanced. I have all classes and I love them all in regs. My most game changing dps classes are actually shadow, jug, and sniper. It appears you are talking dps so I am not mentioning healing. 2 of those are melee. Also, in regs, smash is still great on my mara so there is another strong melee class.

I love my sorc and it is a very strong class but while I can get higher chart numbers on my sorc my sniper is actually more beneficial to the team if it is a close match. Jug can just dominate a match and really might be the best class in the game right now for pvp. Shadow is so great that I don't even know where to start .

Ranged are great in regs but so are melee. The issue you might be having is that if you are playing a mara/sent and the match is very ranged heavy then yes you will have a hard time. However, if you are playing a ranged class in a match full of melee they will be all over you and you will likely have a hard time as well.

Also, vguard/ptech is one of the easiest classes to play in the game and it is more melee than ranged since I consider Ion pulse more melee than ranged (closer to melee distance than it is to max ranged distance).

Also, in ranked melee dominate more so than ranged. Sniper can carry hard and other ranged can be very strong but they can't carry like a shadow or jug unless they skank spec though that is a different issue.

There are some balance issues in ranked where a couple classes are very underperforming as dps but they have other specs they can perform well on at least.

Maybe melee just isn't the right play style for you. There is nothing wrong with that. Just play a ranged char you enjoy.

Nokecity's Avatar


Nokecity
07.12.2014 , 12:19 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRaika View Post
I am sorry but you are wrong on many levels. In regs the game is VERY well balanced. I have all classes and I love them all in regs. My most game changing dps classes are actually shadow, jug, and sniper. It appears you are talking dps so I am not mentioning healing. 2 of those are melee. Also, in regs, smash is still great on my mara so there is another strong melee class.

I love my sorc and it is a very strong class but while I can get higher chart numbers on my sorc my sniper is actually more beneficial to the team if it is a close match. Jug can just dominate a match and really might be the best class in the game right now for pvp. Shadow is so great that I don't even know where to start .

Ranged are great in regs but so are melee. The issue you might be having is that if you are playing a mara/sent and the match is very ranged heavy then yes you will have a hard time. However, if you are playing a ranged class in a match full of melee they will be all over you and you will likely have a hard time as well.

Also, vguard/ptech is one of the easiest classes to play in the game and it is more melee than ranged since I consider Ion pulse more melee than ranged (closer to melee distance than it is to max ranged distance).

Also, in ranked melee dominate more so than ranged. Sniper can carry hard and other ranged can be very strong but they can't carry like a shadow or jug unless they skank spec though that is a different issue.

There are some balance issues in ranked where a couple classes are very underperforming as dps but they have other specs they can perform well on at least.

Maybe melee just isn't the right play style for you. There is nothing wrong with that. Just play a ranged char you enjoy.
Thax for the 2 cents and you are right BUT...

1. I have every class in this game leveled to 55 and im a dedicated PvPer so I know what im talking about.

2. My main is a Jugg, Vengeance Jugg from the start and to me the class has always been viable its just it was so much QQ about how the class isn't viable for 8v8 ranked or PvE Ops so the devs buffed the **** out of it. (My point made about no skill required... b4 It did require skill to be effective).

3. This thread isn't about how melee isn't good in this game. *Period*

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
07.12.2014 , 02:04 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nokecity View Post
Im not saying melee is not powered in this game. What im saying is that ranged is at an advantage ( a to wide spread out advantage if there is more than one) *Reason* Game no longer requires skill to be affective in PvP (non-ranked)
What advantage? Honestly madness is pretty much the only ranged spec that stands out in this game. Marauder is kinda starting to fall behind from specific nerfs but overall melee has no problem completely shutting down every ranged class in the game. Madness spec is pretty much the only one that stands out. Pyro mercs can sorta do it but nowhere near as well as madness. Snipers are only a thread if you leave them alone and die quite easily if they even get a minor amount of focus on them. Ranged is doing better, but its hardly at an advantage. This game is still heavily focused on melee and melee still easily deals with ranged in this game.

MrGoldsilver's Avatar


MrGoldsilver
07.12.2014 , 03:50 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Snipers are only a threat if you leave them alone and die quite easily if they even get a minor amount of focus on them.
Only the bad snipers die quickly. I can usually survive for a long time because I know how to use my DC effectively.
If war is peace, but peace is a lie, does that make war a lie also?

Who cares who my toons are... Just look for that guy playing all the stupid specs
Also, nerf operatives

discbox's Avatar


discbox
07.12.2014 , 04:05 PM | #18
If you don't like playing your meele, don't do it.

Play a ranged class. Oh, you would lose all the advantages your meele class has, thats why you don't, right!?

Savej's Avatar


Savej
07.12.2014 , 04:27 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by discbox View Post
If you don't like playing your meele, don't do it.

Play a ranged class. Oh, you would lose all the advantages your meele class has, thats why you don't, right!?
So everyone that plays one of the archetypes that setup every one of the books, movies and cartoons (and game trailers for this game) is -only- playing it because it's got advantages? Is that the troll logic that they are teaching you? You need to get a refund on whatever you paid for that class.

MotorCityMan's Avatar


MotorCityMan
07.12.2014 , 04:33 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
Yeah, melee is at such a disadvantage....

Go do some rankeds with a ranged class (specifically Merc/Sniper) vs. all melee, then get back to this thread, and let us all know how it went.

+2

Message too short