Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Raptus Challenge in NiM tier

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Raptus Challenge in NiM tier

ZentheSecond
07.15.2014 , 04:53 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by AAAAzrael View Post
I know it doesn't help but hybrid shadow is the way to go there - almost no damage.
yeah I am going Hybrid, still kind of trying to understand the "almost no damage" but I think I have it worked out. I have very little concerns about actually tanking Raptus... I frankly think he'll be easily handled as there will be healers present...
-- Hanakoo - Powertech - DPS/Tank --
-- Natsumii - Assassin - Tank --
-- Kaijėn - Sniper - DPS --

SupaHsuB
07.15.2014 , 10:05 PM | #12
What i do on my sin/shadow is when i get in, pop shroud first, once its off, wait till i drop to 70-75%, then i overcharge saber.

My POV kill from week 2 (running hybrid) kill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik92q46fIGs

Granted, i usually tank with a pt/vg, and they are best to take the extra dmg with their self heals, but we've been using this method since week 1 and it works so rather not change **** unless its wiping us. The way we do it, the PT tank comes out of challenge at 90% hp and he takes the first force execution and i position the boss back into mid.

Ive done the fight as hybrid or full tank. Theres a diff in dtps in favour of the hybrid, but my healers say im fine to heal in both specs, so i just wing it week to week.
FreakyD Maf Gusta Rackett

AAAAzrael
07.16.2014 , 10:39 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ZentheSecond View Post
yeah I am going Hybrid, still kind of trying to understand the "almost no damage" but I think I have it worked out. I have very little concerns about actually tanking Raptus... I frankly think he'll be easily handled as there will be healers present...
OK you run in ALONE, and wait for first tick, then pop resilience, other tank wait outside and counts to 5 then runs in. When resilience finishes you pop blackout and battle readiness (that one after you have lost sufficient health). Also by that time you should have build your 4 stacks of shadow protection. Just keep doing your rotation to get the combat technique heals = you'll be on high health.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Joshased From Beyond / Dread Slayer Xartanol
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

ZentheSecond
07.16.2014 , 02:21 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AAAAzrael View Post
OK you run in ALONE, and wait for first tick, then pop resilience, other tank wait outside and counts to 5 then runs in. When resilience finishes you pop blackout and battle readiness (that one after you have lost sufficient health). Also by that time you should have build your 4 stacks of shadow protection. Just keep doing your rotation to get the combat technique heals = you'll be on high health.
Wait the cotank sits outside till just before shroud wears off?
Interesting... That would prove the most benefit to the group, as he would have 5 less ticks of damage to worry about.

So what do you do inbetween challenges with tanking Raptus as you cannot pop shroud during those inbetween periods as it may not be back up in time for this. Just eat the Execution damage without a CD?

Simmerr
07.19.2014 , 06:55 PM | #15
First challenge I use blackout and an adrenal, second challenge I use blackout and overcharge as soon as i drop below 85%, then medpack in either if I need to.

Also it can make a difference to have the other tank guard you, I think

I like to save my shroud for the force execution as soon as the dps passes their challenge, as its a large chunk of dmg when healers are on the move and not at 100% output
Str'iker -- Assassin Tank
Str'yker -- Merc DPS
You're gonna push your luck

AAAAzrael
07.20.2014 , 06:11 AM | #16
So what do you do inbetween challenges with tanking Raptus as you cannot pop shroud during those inbetween periods as it may not be back up in time for this. Just eat the Execution damage without a CD?
EIther my co-tank reflects it or I eat it with blackout. We swap on every execution if we have to eat it so there is no risk of dying from followup.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Joshased From Beyond / Dread Slayer Xartanol
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

Methoxa
07.20.2014 , 07:03 AM | #17
Hmm i am wondering why ppl seem to have problems with the Tankchallenge. I use enraged defense when i hit the 50% treshold = 80%hp after challenge. My cotank is a sin. We swap positions after 10seconds. First i am nearer to the npc, then he. He pops blackout and thats it. Both tanks leave the challenge with more than 70%.

Another thing which comes to my mind is maybe your stats. Youll need full absorb for this fight. The attacks during the tankchallenge can be shielded so can all attacks of raptus. Actually i think the hard part of the fight beginns when he begins to use his whirlwind thing at 30% hp. Which oftern leads to 1 or 2 ppl dying.
Conquerer of the Dread Fortress Methoxa - Gate Crasher - Black Bantha - Vanjervalis Chain EU

KeyboardNinja
07.22.2014 , 04:33 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Methoxa View Post
Another thing which comes to my mind is maybe your stats. Youll need full absorb for this fight. The attacks during the tankchallenge can be shielded so can all attacks of raptus. Actually i think the hard part of the fight beginns when he begins to use his whirlwind thing at 30% hp. Which oftern leads to 1 or 2 ppl dying.
Protip: Phase Walk. He always settles back on the tank he was on when his cast *finished* and remains on that target for about five seconds. His second-to-last target has to run away for about 4 seconds, I think. We generally use Rescue/Extricate there. I don't think we've lost anyone to that phase (including the Driving Thrust immediately afterward) since the pull right before our first kill.

Regarding the tank challenge, if you're taking the brunt of the damage as a shadow/assassin, you will need to hit your Kinetic Ward/Dark Ward a few seconds before zoning in, otherwise you will simply run out of stacks. I still think my Vanguard cotank is able to take the damage better than I am though, and since I'm the one main tanking the boss, it doesn't actually matter how much damage he takes so long as he remains above a reasonable margin (~10%). He usually comes out of the challenge around 60-70%, while I come out around 90%. The only cooldowns I use in the challenge are Blackout, medpack and Cloak. There's no need to burn anything else, and sometimes I don't even need the medpack.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

ZentheSecond
07.23.2014 , 04:20 PM | #19
@KBN;
That is very good information, I was just about to ask how the final target is determined. Now is he immune to taunts during his cast or just after it? Cause if he isn't it'll make it easy for the target to be me and I can just phase walk it. And for my own reference, after the first Spinning Attack is it HP based or time based before he does his second? I'm going to presume time based (roughly 45 seconds to 60 seconds from when he finishes spinning).

Now on a slightly off-topic question;
Why do I see a lot of Sin's going Hybrid for Council? They can't possibly be going the full AoE hybrid I can't think of many AoE's in the fight. So I presume they are going the Darkswell Hybrid (32/12/2), for another defensive cooldown for the fight.

TACeMossie
07.23.2014 , 04:27 PM | #20
@KBN;
That is very good information, I was just about to ask how the final target is determined. Now is he immune to taunts during his cast or just after it? Cause if he isn't it'll make it easy for the target to be me and I can just phase walk it. And for my own reference, after the first Spinning Attack is it HP based or time based before he does his second? I'm going to presume time based (roughly 45 seconds to 60 seconds from when he finishes spinning).

Now on a slightly off-topic question;
Why do I see a lot of Sin's going Hybrid for Council? They can't possibly be going the full AoE hybrid I can't think of many AoE's in the fight. So I presume they are going the Darkswell Hybrid (32/12/2), for another defensive cooldown for the fight.
From what ive heard that last phase is obscenely brutal to heal on NiM, making the rest of the fight look like a joke. Its all AoE there.