Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto
08.21.2014 , 04:17 PM | #201
(Waves) thank you, folks.

Yes, I am L55, and yes, I have everything augmented & swapping blues for purples, save for the 2 relics (I use the L45 Rak BoLs for the lack of). I also have the L53-54 enhancements/implants/ear/main/off-hand, but left the arm/mods at Makeb level, because I hope to swap into the Obroan eventually without the intermediate set of the L53.

I believe my gate to Obroan atm is the valor, sititng at 28 atm, so need 12 more points (hopefully).

I am not sure. I can certainly craft the set on L53, but will going from 140 to 148 PvE make a significant difference?

Anyway, a L54 daily this morning, gotta see if I can start on the L55 one. Could not play the low-level character because they pulled the servers off-line at 5 am my time, so people weren't cuing by the time I was done with the first daily. Well, at least it was at 5, so I did not end up getting early for nothing

Cox_The_Beast
08.21.2014 , 07:20 PM | #202
Actually, you don't need Valor 40 anymore to purchase Obroan, you can get it right away as soon as you reach 55.

What you need Valor 40 for is Brutalizer, now. Same aspect, different color and a few more points per stat.
I myself only got the weapon, offhand, relics, earpiece, belt and bracers. Rest is Obroan still, no augs, no nothing. But I don't feel bad at all.

As a side note, to purchase Brutalizer you need the corresponding Obroan piece. Let's say you want the Brutalizer Force Master's Lightsaber. To buy it, along with 3.5k Ranked WZ Comms - if I'm not mistaken, not sure about the number atm - you also have to give the vendor your old Obroan Force Master's Lightsaber. Same goes for all pieces, including relics.

Still, keep trying, I enjoy reading your stories Domi. It's refreshing, after hearing/reading people complain that they can't survive the whole opposing team solo or stuff like that... Both here and in game.
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Darth Malak to Revan on the Leviathan.

SkyLordJaden
08.21.2014 , 07:52 PM | #203
I recommend trying to take jerks like me with a grain of salt. A lot of people know what they are doing and when something is going on that isn't right they tend to rant in ops chat. Listen to what they are saying and take the basic ideas to heart but also realize that if they come off real mean or sarcastic they are probably wonderful people they just are used to winning or whatever it may be. To make you a little less nooby always guard on a door or node(a capturing point i.e the turrets in civil war). Kill healers first if you are dps, taunt a lot if you are a tank but only if that person is not attacking you, heals try to stay in the back and use melee as a meatshield. If you see somebody who does really well in a match ask them if they want to do a couple matches with you and then give you a few pointers. Also, try to vote for somebody at the end of the match. Depending on the match, i do top dps, top heals, or top objectives. Happy hunting

DomiSotto
08.21.2014 , 09:07 PM | #204
Oh, that's GREAT news about the Obroan! I guess now I just have to accumulate comms & I will have relics before long. Yay! I guess, I can convert the ranked comms into regs, but I don't wanna to, I'd rather do a swap of the relics (Rakgoul to Brut... that would be the day), since that's the lowest thing on my alt.

Or I might actually finish grinding to 150 classic on the Black Hole and have a cute Rakata & Obroan combo. I am fresh out of reg comms, since, of course, I thought it would be a good idea to update poor Treek a little. She started to resent the 112s. Ah, well. Nothing's wasted in the legacy gear.

Anyways, chickened out of the WZs tonight, too tired, just did a run of BH, was bold enough to attach myself to a very nice shadow for the H4+ there. The double-Treek, the Shadow and... well, me.

I have no problems guarding a node, if people let me guard a node. Honestly, I go into a zone dreaming about guarding a node. It's peaceful. Steady.

Thanks, folks for your goodwill and patience, and happy warzoning.

DomiSotto
08.23.2014 , 09:14 AM | #205
Fantastic! My Valor reached 30, and I even got an achievement with it. Sooo neat!

I decided to just be nonchalant and go guarding hoping the Magnificent Seven would see the wisdom of the comic relief sidekick staying out of the way. Nobody seems to mind, and mostly it went well, but yeah, multiples going at a lonely slinger ain't so hot even with cc's. I (hangs her head in shame) managed to bumble an inc call once. How hard is to press enter? I had it all typed in advance to just add the number and all. I guess that assassin was that scary.

Anyway, some absolutely fantastic teams this morning, so I had 2 dailies in no time, and only have one more match left for the weekly. Of course we tasted defeat as well, 'cause one needs to build up her humility. It was a Voidstar, too bad, I haven't pugged into a VS for ages. On the bright side: no 4x4's, no Huttball. Just good old wargames.

It's kinf of weird. Despite realizing just how bad I am, PvP is my favorite part of the game right now. But only on that one character. And I can't make myself to try with another one so far. Attached to the alt or something.

I also went and looked at Obroan. Mmgh. By the look of it, I certainly need the Serendipitous Assault, and the other relic, I am not sure. The one that crits or the one that helps me with squishyness? Seeing I will need comms, comms and comms, I decided to go noob once more, and crafted a few 156 pieces for armor. Still RE'ing the mods. Figure that the Beloved Companion can take them over after this alt is all rock-solid PvP geared. Augments are expensive atm, so waiting for them to go back down mid-week.

Oh, we played our youngest pair, and my youngest is a Scoundrel, L13-16 as we played. Ouch, that's a huge change from a Gunslinger. Color me Smuggler-confused! First stealth alt too, for both of us, Shadow and Scoundrel. I really like what the Shadows do in H4+ in Blackhole, sneaking through and rising the NPCs.

Banderal
08.23.2014 , 02:52 PM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
Oh, we played our youngest pair, and my youngest is a Scoundrel, L13-16 as we played. Ouch, that's a huge change from a Gunslinger. Color me Smuggler-confused!
Heh, I started my first operative in PvP just a couple days ago. I find the same thing. I've played Mara's, shadows, snipers, sorcs; all of which I *think* I adapted to reasonably quickly. I don't know what it is about the Op, but I'm still like, "WTHeck do I *do* with this class?". I think it's the mix of up close and ranged. Do I stay close for shiv and backstab, or back off for explosive and snipe shots? But I think I'm getting it. I stealth out, and sneak to the back and shik-shik the enemy healers or other back-row classes. Well, that's what I **try** to do. Usually I just die quickly so far. Maybe the class will sort itself out for me as I get beyond level 13.
Imagynary - Fractional - Rhandom - Lottoe (Pub)
Eerational - CryMeAnOcean - LuckyGoHappy (Imp)

POT5

Cox_The_Beast
08.23.2014 , 04:28 PM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
[...]
Oh, we played our youngest pair, and my youngest is a Scoundrel, L13-16 as we played. Ouch, that's a huge change from a Gunslinger. Color me Smuggler-confused! First stealth alt too, for both of us, Shadow and Scoundrel. I really like what the Shadows do in H4+ in Blackhole, sneaking through and rising the NPCs.
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
Heh, I started my first operative in PvP just a couple days ago. I find the same thing. I've played Mara's, shadows, snipers, sorcs; all of which I *think* I adapted to reasonably quickly. I don't know what it is about the Op, but I'm still like, "WTHeck do I *do* with this class?". I think it's the mix of up close and ranged. Do I stay close for shiv and backstab, or back off for explosive and snipe shots? But I think I'm getting it. I stealth out, and sneak to the back and shik-shik the enemy healers or other back-row classes. Well, that's what I **try** to do. Usually I just die quickly so far. Maybe the class will sort itself out for me as I get beyond level 13.
I can confirm Operative/Scoundrel DPS gets better at higher levels than what you both have.

I began feeling comfortable at 23, when I got Laceration/Sucker Punch, and from there on it only gets better. I speak of my experience, and I used the middle tree. As Healer it's at around the same lvl range, when you get your HoTs. Lethality/Dirty Fighting more and less around the same levels, with the poisoning grenade or the bleeding one. And the consequent debuffs.

You will become a bit more durable with Shield Probe - should be in the late 30s if I recall. At that point I stopped using cover alltogether. Not much incentive since all your good skills require you to be in melee range, and enemies can charge you when you're in cover...

Still, keep it up. And don't feel discouraged by losses. it's the natural outcome. You can't win them all.
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Darth Malak to Revan on the Leviathan.

DomiSotto
08.23.2014 , 06:01 PM | #208
Well, I understand the idea that both the Scoundrel and Vanguard is actually a melee character (thanks the Boards! Kisses, Hugs! I would have never guessed on my own!) . My Gunslinger is a DF, and I adore the utility of the class, with swapping between range and fighting close-quarters when they upon ya.

But Scoundrel gets the Upper Hand.

Without rolls (or harpoon on the van) on the low levels, I feel that in a fight, what I end up doing is kindda walk in a maddeningly relaxed sort of way while shooting towards the target (or I stealth-crawl and start fighting on the Scoundrel), but I cant's even get the first back-stab in seeing there is no Upper Hand - well now I get the ability to insta trigger UH, so maybe it will go better. (And if my husband KEEPS using the wave, I will start waving from under his Guardian's nose. And I have a brutal wave on 55, dammit!).

It is very tempting on the scoundrel to just drop in cover and start shooting, but I know it is not a good idea to get used to it. I did not took him to the WZs though. I do not have sufficient heals yet, and if I PvP him I want him to be heals.

Did a couple of matches on the Van, finally! Alderaan and Queshball. My team won both, so there is just one match to polish off the Weekly, win or lose. I don't know what you call it on the Van, but for Bounty Hunter it will be He Overheats Much. I am not used to his Energy Management, and by whatever reason I had troubles setting off the AoE. Will have to work on that. And, I finally talked to General Garza. Now, it's spitting distance to level 55, right?

DomiSotto
08.24.2014 , 10:32 AM | #209
Wow, what a morning!

My first ever Obroan Relic!

My first ever gold standing!

What can I say but the Thanks Goodness for the Conquest! Of course it's not gonna last as everyone is going to smarten up and gear up.

chillshock
08.25.2014 , 06:30 AM | #210
And there you are... first post "I hate pvp" - and now you're already pwning newbs. :P