Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A PvP a Day...

Ridickilis
07.19.2014 , 10:35 AM | #111
Yes, sending one or two (preferably stealth dps specs) to their off node is generally a good idea in that situation. This is usually the problem with pugs, they don't respond or rotate in a timely fashion. I would also venture to guess that your team was probably getting insta-gibbed 1-2 at a time at mid because all 7 of you aren't dying at the same time. You should be grouping up, even if that means waiting for everyone at your only node and then zerging one of their nodes as a group. Why people continue to bash their heads over and over 1 at a time at the same node against 7 opponents is beyond me. I swear sometimes I wonder if people are just botting. This goes for ACW as well.

DomiSotto
07.19.2014 , 12:32 PM | #112
I always try to go for the second node but normally they are not stupid and leave a strong char to guard it and quickly mob back.

No to parsec but I am installing it as soon as I am back. The new system is installed and the game is running. No time for more than that. OMG, I went from bare min graphics to Ultimate, and WOW, just WOW! The glow, the detail, the colors! And, my load times are down from 3-4 min to <30 sec. And lags? What lags? People on rankors don't kill the Fleet, and stuff. Can't wait to play again!

ThirdDementor
07.20.2014 , 09:42 AM | #113
Just wanted to say this thread is great, and mention a few things.

Forgive me for not remembering who exactly said it, but starting a new toon straight into PvP is indeed an excellent idea, because it provides a good learning curve with a (relatively) easy environment. Being low leveled means you don't have many abilities yet, so PvP at that stage is not as mechanically-demanding. This slowly eases you into it, while also helping your decision-making improve (currently doing this with my level 19 Operative). Much smoother than, for example, when I tried to PvP with my level 51 Sentinel for the first time. I still shudder at the thought.

One other thing I'd like to say is that you should try all the different classes in PvP. I didn't like PvP at all when I tried it with my Juggernaut, my Sorceress, my Mercenary or my Vanguard, let alone the aforementioned Sentinel. Then one day, I made an assassin (Madness tree), and my PvP-loving friend told me I should totally PvP with this toon. Took him a bit of convincing, but I've decided to give it a shot. And for the first time in PvP, something just clicked. It was fun, it was intuitive, and it was highly effective. I kept getting the highest DPS on the team. Level 46 now and I still do, although it's probably less me being skilled and more Death Field being Death Field.

jrwellworth
07.21.2014 , 10:11 AM | #114
A PVP A DAY
SAND'ARI
LEVEL 55
SAWBONES SCOUNDREL
Obroan head chest pants main hand and two relics

Morning everyone. I have not posted in a couple days but I have been busy doing a spot of pvp. I have actually had some decent matches, and some not so decent. First off was a huttball where we got beat pretty bad. I am having a hard time trying to be useful here as I am not familiar with all the strategy's. If I see a teammate get the ball I hurry to them to follow them and heal them through, flash-bang enemies etc but a lot of the time it seems as if no one else is further along for the guy to pass to and we are killed. Still I have fun there and can see I have room for improvement.

I had a few AHG's that were fun and the one last night one of the really good pvpers on our server (so I'm told) was on the opposing team. He did insane healing numbers, like I was in the 200k region and he was in the million region. Even though he did great numbers it must kinda suck in a way to be him, cause that's really all that was said in our chat, over and over: "focus caveh" So they did. We won by a good margin, but we had 3 healers or four on our team (including me) and it really seemed that none of us died a lot. Luck of the draw I suppose.

The best match by far was an ACW. This was really one of the better matches I've been in. It had great communication, and damn good teamwork. I don't know how I managed it but I walked away with something like 15 medals, and an achievo for something like advanced critical damage dealer, though I was really healing most of the time. It feels good to use thee advice I get here and turn it in to something out there.

So I guess this mornings question is my gear. Gree starts tomorrow as we all know, and I have never been in a position to actually gank people, gear or skill wise. Even though I'm just a healer I still think I can have some fun out on the western ice shelf. My pvp gear is listed in the opener. Head, pants, chest, both relics and main hand. I have about 1000 comms from yesterday and I wanna know if I should go for my fourth set bonus piece or work on my left side. Scoundrel healer set bonus 4 piece sucks. It does on pve gear, and pvp gear it seems. +5 energy. I really wish they would both have the campaign field medics four piece. Most PvE scoundrel healers I know never get the four piece. So, what do you think guys? Left side or continue on the right? Also any Gree tips are appreciated, as I can finally gank people. So stoked. As a friend so eloquently put it "red means dead"
Sandari-60 (kinetic combat) +more <Aeternium Ascension>
<Sith Praxium> B.C. Dread Slayer

GrandLordMenace
07.21.2014 , 10:27 AM | #115
I'm practically amazed at this thread. All the mellowness makes me wonder how this is in a PVP forum...

On a serious note I applaud the OP for sticking with it!

Just remember PVP is just as much about luck as much as skill. The difference between a good game and a bad game could be that great string of crits, that kickass scoundrel healer you just met, or a lagging node guard XD. Don't rely on these things of course, but every little thing that goes your way counts :P
Rydarus Veneris the Revanchist Eternal Forum Warrior, Lord of Alacrity, from the Ruined World
GuardDPS PVE guide: http://dulfy.net/2014/12/11/swtor-3-...de-by-rydarus/
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/rydarus

Ridickilis
07.21.2014 , 10:39 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandLordMenace View Post
lagging node guard XD.
Holy hell that happened to me last night guarding the off node in ACW (I bet that was you who capped on me lol). Frigging red-x'ed out, by the time I got control again the other team had capped the node. Luckily we got it right back then I profusely apologized in chat. I had been calling out all game, so at least I didn't have to take any "L2call-n00b", they must have figured something was up.

jrwellworth
07.21.2014 , 11:19 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandLordMenace View Post
I'm practically amazed at this thread. All the mellowness makes me wonder how this is in a PVP forum...
It is pretty mellow. I am having a lot of fun doing pvp and writing this thread, and I know Domi is also. Really though were only making fun of ourselves, telling embarrassing stories of our epic fails and progress. It is sometimes hard to laugh at yourself and put it out there for a whole community to laugh along. I am surprised that we haven't been made fun of yet, but in reality that shows the true side of the pvp community in this game. We come here and tell of our derps and fails, vent, and tell of our wins. Then we ask for advice and help. This is where the community has shined through. I also think that's why we haven't been really trolled. At it's core, the pvp community has a massive knowledge, and when people ask for their help, without presuming to know more then or reject that help, it is given freely. Add in a bit of entertainment, and here we are. I've learned how to navigate and be useful in arenas, which is my worst area, among other things, and Domi is now mouse turning and keybinding, among other things.

I like posting in this thread and I will continue to do so, maybe even all the way to my first ranked match and beyond. I wish I could use fraps so you guys could actually view us getting better, but for now stories will have to do. I shall be back with today's report tomorrow. Gree should make for some interesting stories and I'm sure I will be needing help. Till then.
Sandari-60 (kinetic combat) +more <Aeternium Ascension>
<Sith Praxium> B.C. Dread Slayer

DomiSotto
07.21.2014 , 07:01 PM | #118
Ha-ha, my keybindiing so far gets me killed in a hurry in levelling. Can't wait to start my from scratch char though.

Anyway, my only encounter with PvP yesterday was... you gotta appreciate it - not being able to book a hotel in Seattle because of a huge international DOT2 tournament. I thought my husband was pulling my leg,but holy cow 11 mln $ prize pool for a MMO competition? That's a far cry from SWTOR and I bet that's not mellow I wish we could see it, but oh, well Gritty Tacoma it was

Jrwellworth, I find Huttball the hardest minigame, and way to go with the ACW! Critical damage, WOOT! I never managed to get past 3000 dmg with single ability on my Gunslinger. I was also thinking that moving while fighting on a cover char will be hard because of two versions of the bar.

TwoLekku
07.22.2014 , 09:55 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by jrwellworth View Post
A PVP A DAY
SAND'ARI
LEVEL 55
SAWBONES SCOUNDREL
Obroan head chest pants main hand and two relics

I wanna know if I should go for my fourth set bonus piece or work on my left side. Scoundrel healer set bonus 4 piece sucks. It does on pve gear, and pvp gear it seems. +5 energy. I really wish they would both have the campaign field medics four piece. Most PvE scoundrel healers I know never get the four piece. So, what do you think guys? Left side or continue on the right? Also any Gree tips are appreciated, as I can finally gank people. So stoked. As a friend so eloquently put it "red means dead"
My two cents = it depends. What implants/earpieces are you using now vs. what gloves are you using now? I only ask because some pve gear is bolstered better than others. Personallly I'd get whatever Obroan item is the next biggest upgrade for you, but first i need an idea of what you would be poised to replace.

TwoLekku
07.22.2014 , 10:37 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post

Jrwellworth, I find Huttball the hardest minigame, and way to go with the ACW! Critical damage, WOOT! I never managed to get past 3000 dmg with single ability on my Gunslinger. I was also thinking that moving while fighting on a cover char will be hard because of two versions of the bar.
Domi, to each their own, but I HATE the cover bar. HATE it. I always disable it (it's an option in your preferences on each character) because i want to be able to bounce in and out of cover without relearning keybinds.

And your Gunslinger should be critting pretty hard on quickdraw unless you don't have that ability yet? It's available at lvl 18, i think, I forget what level you said your GS was, but on my dirty fighting gunslinger I use quickdraw soooo much.