Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto
07.17.2014 , 07:34 AM | #101
16 July 2014
Harbinger, Becchino, Marauder, L 42

Huttsball popped. The team actually played, so even with a huge loss (0:5) it was fun (I managed one useful leap, but otherwise still pathetic unfortunately, but could at least see the ball carrier and feebly try to do something about it ). My key binding is still very poor, so I will try to finish chapter two today and will start training from scratch with my new trooper after vacations. Will touch-type daily - who said fanfiction is useless for skill set development? (heh)

Tomorrow is my prep day for the Shield Tech on Progenitor, I will keybind at least the targeting and might take him through a couple of zones.

PS I can't believe I am saying it, but I find the PvP games a lot of fun actually!

Pekish
07.17.2014 , 10:06 AM | #102
PVP is better then many will admit but is always been a part of the game for more mature people, and best would be to try to have fun and avoid the min/max crowd

I always though pvp fail almost in any game because devs still don't get they have to separate people with different thinking they make useless separation PVE server PVP server... (when they u see pve server pvping as much as pvp server) but they don't separate people by skill and mentality.

there are veteran that are willing to help and accept new player and let them discover built for themselves there are veteran that tell you what to do how to dress and what to roll otherwise u are useless.

This is what devs should devide call min/max(ranked) server and casual server maybe PVP would flourish if the right people would be matched together.

jrwellworth
07.17.2014 , 11:06 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
16 July 2014
Harbinger, Becchino, Marauder, L 42

Huttsball popped. The team actually played, so even with a huge loss (0:5) it was fun (I managed one useful leap, but otherwise still pathetic unfortunately, but could at least see the ball carrier and feebly try to do something about it ). My key binding is still very poor, so I will try to finish chapter two today and will start training from scratch with my new trooper after vacations. Will touch-type daily - who said fanfiction is useless for skill set development? (heh)

Tomorrow is my prep day for the Shield Tech on Progenitor, I will keybind at least the targeting and might take him through a couple of zones.

PS I can't believe I am saying it, but I find the PvP games a lot of fun actually!
Nice, Domi. I have to agree, after you made this thread and I committed to also do at least a pvp a day I have had a lot of fun. it's nice learning a new aspect of the game, and also something cool in reporting back here everyday for advice from the community. I think it's pretty neat anyway. I was super busy yesterday and had progression last night that stretched past 11pm so I was tired and did not pvp last night. I will for sure get some pvp in today and hopefully some arenas so I can try that awesome advice I was given. I encourage others to try pvp. Even if ya hate it. I do...did. You don't have to come here and post your every embarrassing failure for the community to see, if you don't want to. I'm glad I gave it another go.
Sandari-60 (kinetic combat) +more <Aeternium Ascension>
<Sith Praxium> B.C. Dread Slayer

DomiSotto
07.17.2014 , 01:24 PM | #104
So, Pekish, you envision a kind of a Ranked server and a Social PvP Server? It would be nice, because frankly the PvE/RP division is really non-existent from what I can tell. What I worry about is that labeling like that might give certain folks raiding ideas, lol. to be honest I don't see people chewing stones in the unranked pool, and hope to continue to observe it. Why, in one zone a marvel of a player actually focused targets for everyone.

Jrwellworth, I am so glad you shared, I am now really curious to play a Scoundrel - Yours sounds really neat!

I know one thing - trying each character one has in PvP is certainly a very good test as how well you are playing and what your weaknesses are. Plus when you see what other people do with a similar class - wow! And it is a dynamic diversion from the grind, it really feels like a war is raging, picks you up and drops you off, a quick and risk/cost free way to comms when leveling... great stuff really.

Now, I really want to learn to be passable at it! I guess I will also need to read up on Troopers

chillshock
07.18.2014 , 05:23 AM | #105
Jrwellworth, I am so glad you shared, I am now really curious to play a Scoundrel - Yours sounds really neat!
Scoundrel... I don't think I have laughed as much on ANY other storyline. "leave the helmet on!" xD Oh god...

And it's nice to see how a new, promising pvp-er gets born.

Soon you'll be pro... then comes the frustration with "the others"... and the forum posts about class balance...

Welcome to the game!

DomiSotto
07.18.2014 , 06:29 AM | #106
Oh, my very first (and only) Finished Class character is a Smuggler, but she is a Gunslinger, and I had no doubts whatsoever it would be a class I will be repeating with a male toon.

One thing I believe in is that any class is good if you love it. Don't think I will ever got erudite enough to whine about the class balance. My goal is passable, rather than good. After all I am past the golden years of life when most acquire the gaming skill.

Anyway, came home to find my system dismantled and Mr. D. in a deep and meaningful discussion with Memory Express about what got hooked up where and why and what should be changed. Heh, my gaming break began.

Be back sometime in August

TwoLekku
07.18.2014 , 06:33 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Pekish View Post
PVP is better then many will admit but is always been a part of the game for more mature people, and best would be to try to have fun and avoid the min/max crowd

I always though pvp fail almost in any game because devs still don't get they have to separate people with different thinking they make useless separation PVE server PVP server... (when they u see pve server pvping as much as pvp server) but they don't separate people by skill and mentality.

there are veteran that are willing to help and accept new player and let them discover built for themselves there are veteran that tell you what to do how to dress and what to roll otherwise u are useless.

This is what devs should devide call min/max(ranked) server and casual server maybe PVP would flourish if the right people would be matched together.
Nah. Because lots of people start off casual and then get excited to min/max to see just how good they can be. Lots of people want to have some casual toons and maybe also some min/max toons. That's what ranked and unranked are for. Don't make perfect the enemy of the good.

TwoLekku
07.18.2014 , 06:40 AM | #108
Oh, my very first (and only) Finished Class character is a Smuggler, but she is a Gunslinger, and I had no doubts whatsoever it would be a class I will be repeating with a male toon.

One thing I believe in is that any class is good if you love it. Don't think I will ever got erudite enough to whine about the class balance. My goal is passable, rather than good. After all I am past the golden years of life when most acquire the gaming skill.

Anyway, came home to find my system dismantled and Mr. D. in a deep and meaningful discussion with Memory Express about what got hooked up where and why and what should be changed. Heh, my gaming break began.

Be back sometime in August
No! Go agent! Same style of play, awesome new story!

Kaliyo: "Hey ugly, pay you 20 credits to lick my feet! *turns to you* Can you spot me 20 credits?"
Kaliyo on Alderaan "Only time i'm ever gonna be in a palace like this - ha! Makes you want to kick out the nobles and run around naked."

DomiSotto
07.18.2014 , 06:50 AM | #109
Agent was the very first toon I created, but no chemistry happened. I whined about it at length here:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=745436

I actually deleted the second, male alt as well for the IA, because even roling good old James doesn't appeal after seeing some of the Ch 1 story. So my male alts are Warrior, Smuggler, Trooper (Jaxo!) and Inq (Ashara!) + I play a male BH on another server. When I am totally done with the rest, I might purchase a slot and play another Consular, a Twi'lek Female Shadow with Zenith, because that's my fav combination of story, race, class and companion.

But that has nothing to do with PvP.

jrwellworth
07.19.2014 , 10:11 AM | #110
A PVP A DAY
Sand'ari
LEVEL 55
SAWBONES SCOUNDREL
Unaugmented obroan chest pants main hand and relics

I'm back with a new report. The past few days have been hectic and busy with family stuff, so I've really only gotten to log at night for my progression runs and a spot of pvp for this guy. (you know, the late night kind when you promised your wife you'd be off 20 minutes ago, but it just popped, and ya say "don't worry babe, just tweaking some stats" and she's like, bulls*it, I just heard a slow release med pack")

Anyway, my late night pop was a Novare coast match. Now, I'm familiar with the basic strategy. Each team rushes for their off node and then one of the teams get a second, usually mid and then the off node is contested. What I do not understand is why when I'm in there it always has to be mid people fight for. Even if we are thrown back countless time, and people in chat are screaming that there is only one guard at their other node. It seems we could send a feint to that node to draw forces from mid and then attack mid in force or actually take their off node.

Now I'm not saying this is always the case but this match was just like that. They had 7 players at mid and we were repelled over and over and over. I asked in chat why we were doing this, and our little meter was already to 50% or maybe less and theirs was 100%. I was told in reply that we were losing because no one was wearing pvp gear. That is the reason we were losing. As I pvp more and more I find myself wanting to win, and as I learn more I feel more comfortable to at least ask in chat if we have a strategy.

I'm sorry if this sounds more like a rant then my usual stories about my embarrassing mistakes and call for advice, and I promise my next report will have more herp a derp, and noobness, but for now can anyone just tell me if I am wrong here, for getting a bit upset at the lack of communication and teamwork and a small hope that people wanna do more then just put up numbers? I mean I love making green numbers appear on my teammates but I could care less what the end number is, unless it's especially high, then I can look back on that match and see what I was doing right to be able to heal for so much. That's healing though.

Also, Domi, as always I am excited by your progress. Did you ever look into parsec?
Sandari-60 (kinetic combat) +more <Aeternium Ascension>
<Sith Praxium> B.C. Dread Slayer