Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A PvP a Day...

Amaste
07.15.2014 , 08:03 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
I did not have much time after I finished thinking and binding, but I started experimenting with it. So far, pretty awful with it, as I tend to run out of melee range. After I bound target to the wheel, it went smoother, and once I get the new mouse (along with the new system, woot!) later this week, I will also tie a couple of important abilities to the side buttons to activate them as soon as they come from the cooldown.

Oh, and as I was straining myself there keybinding and practicing around a lonely Manka Cat, a Pub Player stopped by and made a nice bow. That was so hilariously inappropriate seeing I was literally learning to walk, heh. I guess a BT3 Sith F!Lord with a bare-chested Pierce (I am trying to balance out all the nekkid ladies out there) is a sight on a white hillock on Hoth.

I will still do a warzone this afternoon to keep the habit but likely fall into the stop and mouse-over trap. I printed out touch typing chart and will continue with it both at work and on vacations(my last attempt at it was in the professional development course in high school on a mechanical typewriter and not on a QWERTY LOL! Now I want it for like important things!)

Keybind practice is key (no pun intended ) keep it up. It'll come faster than you think. Think I missed the answer going through the thread, but what mouse are you picking up?
.: The Unlucky Dücks :.
The Harbinger
"If it isn't drunk healing, it isn't Dück healing."

DomiSotto
07.15.2014 , 08:20 AM | #92
an entry level razer with 2 buttons on the side. I think we also picked out a dragon something one with more, but I haven't looked at it. Starting with the simpler ones. The system is supposed to blow my face off, said Memory Xpress. We'll see about that.

chillshock
07.15.2014 , 08:32 AM | #93
perfect one. Used it myself for a long time.

Remember: you can bind Mouse4 and shift+mouse4 to different abilities.

Amaste
07.15.2014 , 08:45 AM | #94
Nice. It'll make a huge improvement over a standard mouse. I jumped onto a razer naga out of necessity for Aion back in 2010 and I haven't looked back since. xD
.: The Unlucky Dücks :.
The Harbinger
"If it isn't drunk healing, it isn't Dück healing."

jrwellworth
07.15.2014 , 08:59 AM | #95
My son broke my mouse, so I am just using a plain old plain old. Really though I need to start a toon and use the mouse running from the start, I am just too ingrained in my style of using the directional buttons and my hot bar which I shift+directional up/down and a few abilities bound to other keys. A step at a time I suppose.

Nice to see your enjoying the new style Domi. Keep it up. Did you ever look into parsec, for your dummy rotation practice? It's an awesome tool.

Yesterday was a very busy day for me, and last night was a progression night, so I only got one match done.

A PVP A DAY
SAND'ARI
LEVEL 55
SAWBONES SCOUNDREL
Obroan relics, MH, chest and pants

So my one match of the day was my kryptonite. It was an arena. I really really need to improve in this area if I ever expect to try ranked. Personally, I wouldn't Q for ranked without the fully augmented whole obroan pvp set and a sht ton of practice. It just seems I usually get put on a team with 3 dps and the other team has 4 dps or 3 and a tank, or something. Things just happen so damn fast. Now I know it is right to try to shut down the healer first, and I try to break cc and escape. I just seem to melt so fast. Get stunned, dotted up, I break, cleanse, stealth and scamper, and am dead before scamper ends due to the dots. Sometimes I die before I can even CC break. And of course while this is happening my team is not getting healed. If I focus on heals I get shut down and killed fast. Is there any scouprative out there that can maybe give me some tips?

I will say though, that since I saw this thread and committed to a pvp a day with Domi, that I have been having fun. I love raiding, and that will not change, but that doesn't mean I can't also have fun doing this. Anyhow, carry on gentlemen, I will report back later.
Sandari-55 (kinetic combat) + asstd. Alts
Guild Leader-<Order Of Heroes>Dread Slayer- B.C.

TwoLekku
07.15.2014 , 10:37 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by jrwellworth View Post
So my one match of the day was my kryptonite. It was an arena. I really really need to improve in this area if I ever expect to try ranked. Personally, I wouldn't Q for ranked without the fully augmented whole obroan pvp set and a sht ton of practice. It just seems I usually get put on a team with 3 dps and the other team has 4 dps or 3 and a tank, or something. Things just happen so damn fast. Now I know it is right to try to shut down the healer first, and I try to break cc and escape. I just seem to melt so fast. Get stunned, dotted up, I break, cleanse, stealth and scamper, and am dead before scamper ends due to the dots. Sometimes I die before I can even CC break. And of course while this is happening my team is not getting healed. If I focus on heals I get shut down and killed fast. Is there any scouprative out there that can maybe give me some tips?
This thread is so great. I was you six months ago, and now i'm geared and wrecking things! Healing with my operative is definitely a joy, even in arenas, let me see if i can help a little.

So yeah, when you're the healer with 3 dps, you know you're going to get focused, right? In that specific situation, it's your job to survive longer than whichever toon your team has decided to focus on the other team. That is your job. Clear your mind and prioritize your survival among all else for the first 10-20sec.

First step - make sure your 3 dps are agreed on who THEY are going to kill first. If that conversation isn't happening in chat, then start it. "Who are you guys going to kill first?" Reg. arenas are mostly about numbers advantages, and you can't have an advantage if your team isn't focused. If you're facing 4 dps, try to steer your team away from killing the sorc/sage or stealth classes first as they can prolong the process...i usually suggest killing the warrior or BH class first because they don't have the escapability or immunity of a stealth or sorc/sage.

Next step - use smuggle to position your team in a place where you have a lot of LOS cover to run around. You're the one with the stealth field, you're the one who needs to survive the dps focus, you pick the initial battleground to suit your needs.

Next - i try to scamper/roll away right as my stealth field is going to end so that when they aoe the now-visible dps, I'm not unstealthed. If successful, get far away and start healing whichever of your teammates drew focus until the enemy notices and focuses you. If unsuccessful, hot yourself and use your shield probe before you get stunned. Forget your teammates right now.

Normally in a wz the rule of thumb is don't break cc until your resolve bar is full. That'll get you killed as a focused healer in the arena, though, without a tank guarding you. Break the stun if you're really getting pounded, aoe flashbang mezz if you have more than one melee on you, and roll. Don't stealth yet if your hots are still rolling, they'll pop you out of stealth. Instead, use your instaheal and your wzmedpack.

This is where practice will eventually make perfect. Are their dps waiting out your mezz so they don't waste their ccbreaker? Great, heal yourself to full and hot your teammates while running out of range. Usually at least 1-2 of their dps will break your cc. If they're ranged, LOS them and continue healing yourself. If one is melee, he'll leap or force speed to you and you kick them in the balls and now you have 4 free seconds because they already used their cc breaker.

Do you see where i'm going? The longer you live, the more time your team has to chip away at their team. Your team doesn't need to be healed, any dmg they're taking is desperation dmg from the death throes of whoever your team has focused first. You live by planning the initial phase of the encounter on your terms and surviving that first burst, which almost always involves breaking cc, aoe mezzing the melee and rolling with a medpack and a quick heal.

The second phase of the encounter is quickly (it'll take practice) diagnosing who you can LOS to heal yourself and who you need to kick in the balls, who used their ccbreaker already and who waited for your mezz to end. You'll know you're getting better at it when you can get through phase 1 and 2 without having to restealth - if you can save that for phase 3, when their remaining dps have shaken off your stuns and are catching up to you, your team will win. Weave around every possible obstacle, keep your hots rolling, keep your shield probe thingy up, be as much of a pain in the #%$%^ to catch and kill as possible without ending up too far from your team.

Remember, use your evasion (smugg equivalent?) and not your cleanse before you emergency stealth, it will remove ALL the dots, giving you a better chance to get the hell out of there.

When i'm dps'ing in an arena with two other dps and a healer, i literally tell the healer "your only job is to live, don't worry about us, if you live longer than the poor soul we're about to slaughter, we win".

Keep at it. Being a smuggler/operative healer in pvp is about learning to run and LOS while simultaneously healing your team, which means you get to be incredibly frustrating to the enemy. Soooo much fun.

DomiSotto
07.16.2014 , 06:23 AM | #97
Folks, good morning!
There is something I wanted to ask - what is mezz?
Also, noobish suggestion - could it be helpful to use heroic moment when focused?

15 July 2014
pulled one of those - replacement on a Hutt ball with the team that gave up and was like in jrwellworth case just standing by the platform. The Republic even threw aoe on it once in a while. So I just went to the middle to at least see the ball or ball carrier. Didn't try to fight at all. Didn't see the ball, but made it to the middle twice before dying. And that was it.

Brian rewiring goes slowly so far. I am focusing on remembering buttons and using them not mouse for the time being. Of course I die a lot more but it is to be expected. Also saw that I am not using my saber throw at all probably because I was overusing my Charge in leveling. Gotta make a concerted effort to open with it whenever the range allows.

If by the end of Chapter 2 I achieve some degree of fluidity with my Mara I may continue with her. If not, I will start at zero with my vanguard, adding buttons as he levels and moving.

chillshock
07.16.2014 , 06:26 AM | #98
A mezz is a stun that breaks on damage. (i.e. blind) while a hard stun does not break on damage (i.e. electrodart)

Heroic Moment only works with an active companion afaik, something you don't have in pvp.

DomiSotto
07.16.2014 , 07:41 AM | #99
gotccha! thank you!

jrwellworth
07.16.2014 , 09:16 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by TwoLekku View Post
This thread is so great. I was you six months ago, and now i'm geared and wrecking things! Healing with my operative is definitely a joy, even in arenas, let me see if i can help a little.

{-SNIP- due to length}.
I clipped your message so that using it as a quote wouldn't take up so much room, but I'd like to say thank you. That advice pretty much covered everything I was looking for in terms of my arena problems. I am setting to work right away but alas I got no arena pops with which to practice your arena specific tips, though most of that was really good advice in general, thank you again. It will be put to good use.
Sandari-55 (kinetic combat) + asstd. Alts
Guild Leader-<Order Of Heroes>Dread Slayer- B.C.