Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

how hard is tanking? (coming from warcraft)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
how hard is tanking? (coming from warcraft)

sanctified's Avatar


sanctified
07.08.2014 , 02:56 PM | #11
He knows how to tank guys, he's not asking about player qualities needed for the role, he's just asking how his skill from WoW would translate to SWTOR. The answer is that the two games have a tanking system that's virtually identical. Assassin/Shadow = WOTLK era Blood Death knight, Powertech/vanguard = burning Crusades era Prot Paladin, and Warrior/Juggernaut = Cataclysm era Prot Warrior.

They all have good AOE and single target threat, the Guardian is slightly behind on single target damage for players without a quick rotation, the Shadow is the king of threat with lower mitigation for players without a quick rotation, and the powertech sets things on fire and wonders why everyone else is always complaining.
Playing since October 1st, 2011. Squad 238 for life.

duffy's Avatar


duffy
07.11.2014 , 10:04 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
He knows how to tank guys, he's not asking about player qualities needed for the role, he's just asking how his skill from WoW would translate to SWTOR. The answer is that the two games have a tanking system that's virtually identical. Assassin/Shadow = WOTLK era Blood Death knight, Powertech/vanguard = burning Crusades era Prot Paladin, and Warrior/Juggernaut = Cataclysm era Prot Warrior.

They all have good AOE and single target threat, the Guardian is slightly behind on single target damage for players without a quick rotation, the Shadow is the king of threat with lower mitigation for players without a quick rotation, and the powertech sets things on fire and wonders why everyone else is always complaining.

thanks! and thank you to all who helped!

khsolo's Avatar


khsolo
07.25.2014 , 09:02 PM | #13
U can always level a shadow or assasin dps and then switch to tank stance same with juggs or vanguards

Methoxa's Avatar


Methoxa
07.26.2014 , 02:26 AM | #14
Quote:
the powertech sets things on fire and wonders why everyone else is always complaining.
Sounds like pt is your favourite class.
In my 6 year experience in progress raiding in Wow in a more known guild and my 2 years experience in semi-progress raiding in Tor i've experienced 1 major difference when it comes to tanking:

The difference to Wow is that tanking requires far more effort than in wow.

#1 Tank tps in comparison to dps are nearly even in Swtor. You need to use Taunt in order to keep aggro. Taunt also works different than in Wow. Taunt will set you on par with the person highest in threat +20%. Meaning taunt is a permanent aggroboost and not only a timed mechanism

#2 Theorycrafting is more detailled here on swtor when it comes to tanking. There are different bosses and not all your defstats mitgate as good as the other. There are bosses which dmg can only be reduced by shield+absorb but defense is nearly useless. Other bosses require a high defense. There are lists who show which tankstats you should have for which boss.

#3 Tanks require a very good knowledge about the bossfight. They have the highest responsibility which often leads to the fact that they become raidleaders. Besides they have to position the boss correctly, use their def cd's wisely.

#4 Tanking is more complex because most tanks have useability skills or beneficial skills. For example the masstaunt of the juggernaut adds a shield that absorbs dmg on everyone in reach. But there are also skills like phasewalk. This one allows the assasin to teleport to the location where the phasewalk was placed. This allows the assasin to partially avoid bossmechanics or are even required is some bossfights. There are a lot more skills that you have to keep in mind when tanking. When i tanked in wow it was only rotation ( 1.2.3) sometimes a tankswap, some movement and thats it. Tor requires you to do more than that.
Revanchist

Metalenceladus's Avatar


Metalenceladus
08.19.2014 , 01:21 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Methoxa View Post
Sounds like pt is your favourite class.
In my 6 year experience in progress raiding in Wow in a more known guild and my 2 years experience in semi-progress raiding in Tor i've experienced 1 major difference when it comes to tanking:

The difference to Wow is that tanking requires far more effort than in wow.

#1 Tank tps in comparison to dps are nearly even in Swtor. You need to use Taunt in order to keep aggro. Taunt also works different than in Wow. Taunt will set you on par with the person highest in threat +20%. Meaning taunt is a permanent aggroboost and not only a timed mechanism

#2 Theorycrafting is more detailled here on swtor when it comes to tanking. There are different bosses and not all your defstats mitgate as good as the other. There are bosses which dmg can only be reduced by shield+absorb but defense is nearly useless. Other bosses require a high defense. There are lists who show which tankstats you should have for which boss.

#3 Tanks require a very good knowledge about the bossfight. They have the highest responsibility which often leads to the fact that they become raidleaders. Besides they have to position the boss correctly, use their def cd's wisely.

#4 Tanking is more complex because most tanks have useability skills or beneficial skills. For example the masstaunt of the juggernaut adds a shield that absorbs dmg on everyone in reach. But there are also skills like phasewalk. This one allows the assasin to teleport to the location where the phasewalk was placed. This allows the assasin to partially avoid bossmechanics or are even required is some bossfights. There are a lot more skills that you have to keep in mind when tanking. When i tanked in wow it was only rotation ( 1.2.3) sometimes a tankswap, some movement and thats it. Tor requires you to do more than that.
Yes. SWTOR tanking I do believe is more complicated, but not necessarily because of the mechanics, but the quality and skill level of the OPS themselves I believe are just higher. Regardless, all tank classes are viable in this game. It really comes down to your personal preference on play style, everyone has their preferences. Level however you would like, your companions make it so you can use any class and spec to level in, including healing!
"Beware The Military Industrial Complex, War is thier bread and butter, War they will have"

slafko's Avatar


slafko
08.20.2014 , 01:06 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Methoxa View Post
The difference to Wow is that tanking requires far more effort than in wow.
*chuckles*
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

karmaann's Avatar


karmaann
08.21.2014 , 03:22 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Metalenceladus View Post
Yes. SWTOR tanking I do believe is more complicated, but not necessarily because of the mechanics, but the quality and skill level of the OPS themselves I believe are just higher. Regardless, all tank classes are viable in this game. It really comes down to your personal preference on play style, everyone has their preferences. Level however you would like, your companions make it so you can use any class and spec to level in, including healing!
Ops are jokes, Pve isn't difficult at all, tanking here is a pain because of people who don't care about the group, don't care about CC, there is plenty of Mara/Sentinel tank, Sage/Sorcerer as well who run into everything on the road that's all^^
My guardian remind me of my War prot, you can tank everything if you have a good group. if not , enjoy the bill

Wow was far more difficult during BC, Swtor is like Wow Mop nothing more or less

Methoxa's Avatar


Methoxa
08.21.2014 , 03:52 AM | #18
Well i was comparing endgame pve. For swtor that means Palace Nm. Ofc flashpoint sm operation or hm operations are not hard which is what they where designed for. Even Fortress Nm isn't hard since the nm buff was removed.

For Palace Nm there are about 5 guilds that cleared it so far although Palace is out for a month. Yeah swtor is easy...

Maras + Sorcerers cant tank in Nm opperations.

You seem to compare tactical + Hm flashpoints + Sm ops with the endcontent of Wow.
Revanchist

karmaann's Avatar


karmaann
08.21.2014 , 04:14 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Methoxa View Post
Well i was comparing endgame pve. For swtor that means Palace Nm. Ofc flashpoint sm operation or hm operations are not hard which is what they where designed for. Even Fortress Nm isn't hard since the nm buff was removed.

For Palace Nm there are about 5 guilds that cleared it so far although Palace is out for a month. Yeah swtor is easy...

Maras + Sorcerers cant tank in Nm opperations.

You seem to compare tactical + Hm flashpoints + Sm ops with the endcontent of Wow.
yes my bad, in Wow and Swtor as well, when it come to endgame, people need to be focus, and play by the book , but untill then it's a mess
i will tank in the Palace i hope and see if it's more difficult than Vashj or Illidan even the Blood council and Lk, just few ex.

but for sure i won't answer anymore to a post when i wake up

Methoxa's Avatar


Methoxa
08.21.2014 , 04:26 AM | #20
another thing : the op didnt ask which of the games was harder but how hard tanking is swtor is compared to Wow. And here the answer is pretty clear to me. Tanking in swtor is for me harder than it was in wow. No matter what bosses of Wow you write here tanking in Wow is very easy. I remember going afk on several hm raidbosses during the fight because i had enough aggro for the rest of the bossfight. In addition in Wow there are only a few bossfights where tanks need movement, awareness and perfect defstat allocation.

Bestia already is harder than Vashij, but you dont need to deactivate pillars^^

The other bossfights in Palace are only average. Council although has again a higher difficulty.
Revanchist