Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

how hard is tanking? (coming from warcraft)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
how hard is tanking? (coming from warcraft)

duffy
07.07.2014 , 02:46 PM | #1
Hello,

I am new to the game but I played wow from vanilla to lich king. I did not raid tank but did heroics (prot warrior).

I burned out from wow partly because of dps in pugs and I just did not like dealing with them. The people here seem nicer so I was debating on giving it a try but a quick question.

I am leaning towards the jedi guardian tank spec. How difficult are the rotations? I dont want ez mode but at this point i dont want to do a lot of work for a game (that is why I was leaning dps).

Joel_Eisenlipz
07.07.2014 , 03:51 PM | #2
All of the tanks can be used to clear the hardest content available. And all of the advanced classes that have tank specs also have DPS specs, but the gear and rotations between specs are very different.

In my opinion, Vanguard/Powertech tanks have better natural mitigation, but limited defensive cooldowns; Guardians/Juggernauts have the best suite of cooldowns, but naturally favor avoidance (Defense) rather than mitigation; and Shadows/Assassins land somewhere in the middle, but have a fairly high skill cap compared to the others.

I would strongly recommend that you level a DPS toon first (and without XP boosts), simply to learn the game systems. Then, roll a new character and level them as a tank from day one. This will take longer than just leveling one toon as DPS and respec at the end, but it lends itself much better to the learning process.

Many find that the leveling experience and story-telling in this game warrant several alts. I certainly do, and every new toon improves my overall understanding and appreciation of the game.

As far as a comparison of tanking, I will leave that to others. But, from my experience, the rules for aggro and fluff taunting are a little different in SWTOR, than most other MMO's.
PANDAMONIUM
Website | Application
Alema-rar, Axe-l Rose, Big'bad'wolf, Compass Rose, Hañs, Joel-eisenlipz, Mungo-jerrie, Sparç
Alema-rár, Brian-williams, By'tor, By-tór, Jayne-cóbb, Minsç, Captain Planèt, Solaufeín

duffy
07.07.2014 , 04:00 PM | #3
thank you

I think I will do that.

MGNMTTRN
07.07.2014 , 07:23 PM | #4
If you have the time I'd recommend leveling a healer first, raiding on it, then leveling a tank. Healing people will teach you when in this game a player is likely to not have aggro on something. That way when you level your tank and raid on it, you'll at least be aware of the problem.

As I understand it, in WoW you can get aggro on massive packs of enemies and from thereon there's just one 'tank button' that you press repeatedly. SWTOR is very different from my vision of WoW tanking. In general you pull 1 pack at a time, build aggro on each enemy, and then move on to the next pack. Presuming you have aggro on everything in one SWTOR pack and that you have gear and/or cooldowns, you definitely can move on to the next pack.

psandak
07.07.2014 , 07:31 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Joel_Eisenlipz View Post
I would strongly recommend that you level a DPS toon first (and without XP boosts), simply to learn the game systems. Then, roll a new character and level them as a tank from day one. This will take longer than just leveling one toon as DPS and respec at the end, but it lends itself much better to the learning process.
Not sure I agree with this. My first character was a tank (Jedi Guardian), and I had never really tanked in any MMO before. IMO the companion system is GREAT training for tanking; get a companion put him/her/it into a DPS stance and keep the mobs on you instead of your companion. Just an alternative.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Probability 101

Khevar
07.07.2014 , 07:52 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Not sure I agree with this. My first character was a tank (Jedi Guardian), and I had never really tanked in any MMO before. IMO the companion system is GREAT training for tanking; get a companion put him/her/it into a DPS stance and keep the mobs on you instead of your companion. Just an alternative.
I agree 100%.

Leveling as a tank with a dps companion can encourage you to pay more attention to your surroundings (to see who is attacking your companion), and to manage aggro, and to use your defensive skills (since you're taking more damage). I leveled my first tank (Shadow) this way, and it helped me quite a bit.

bluecheesebandit
07.07.2014 , 11:02 PM | #7
I mostly raid with dps but also have tanked all HM content and healed all SM and most HM.

Some people are naturally really aware of everything around them, and they read all tooltips and devour information on everything tanking. If you're this person, tanking will be a breeze and a blast for you at all stages. A couple people in my guild come to mind when I say this and truly they're like meant to be tanks. Though they enjoy dps and the lack of responsibility it brings in certain situations as well. If you're me, who is maybe a bit more lazy in terms of raid awareness and reading tooltips (I just want a guide to tell me the "right" way to do things) then I'd suggest that you learn as a dps like I did. I got to learn more about how tanks worked and mechanics and threat before I ever played a tank so that when I first hit 55 on my tank I could legacy sets over and tank all SM operations already knowing what I was doing.

If you're speaking strictly of leveling and aren't worried about eldergame then my advice would be pretty much moot. In terms of leveling, play what you want or what feels right, you can always switch dps/tanking. The same is true to a lesser extent in endgame where gear sets are completely different!

Welcome to swtor, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Cidgarrillo
07.08.2014 , 01:24 AM | #8
Mechanics as tank: Most bosses in the operations here are simple to tank. However there are still hard ones who will test your multitasking. For example: Nefra or XRR-3 are just a "grab agro, watch the boss" type of boss; Brontes or Raptus require tank swap, adds, position mechanics and cooldown usage.

Agro and rotation as tank: The 3 classes are different, people usually find shadow/assasin easier as agro-generator.
Its more or less easy to get agro if the DPS know what they are doing (DerPS gona derp) However in hard content (or nim) where the DPeS will really hit with all they have, generate enough agro as tank is challenge with the 3 tanks clases.

Rewarding play as tank: As any other MMO.

sanctified
07.08.2014 , 07:29 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by duffy View Post
Hello,

I am new to the game but I played wow from vanilla to lich king. I did not raid tank but did heroics (prot warrior).

I burned out from wow partly because of dps in pugs and I just did not like dealing with them. The people here seem nicer so I was debating on giving it a try but a quick question.

I am leaning towards the jedi guardian tank spec. How difficult are the rotations? I dont want ez mode but at this point i dont want to do a lot of work for a game (that is why I was leaning dps).
It isn't difficult at all. Since you're a protection warrior vet, I recommend rolling either a Jedi guardian or a Sith Juggernaut as your tank: The play mechanics are virtually identical. A high mobility meat shield that can bounce around the battlefield, armed with a cooldown for any situation you can imagine. AOE threat is back-loaded until level 30 when you get sweeping slash and challenging call, but it's still a fun class.
Playing since October 1st, 2011. Squad 238 for life.

Leafy_Bug
07.08.2014 , 12:57 PM | #10
For someone who has never tanked before I found times where tanking was very difficult and exhausting. As a perfectionist, I put double the time in learning to make sure I give my raid nothing but 110%. Good tanks in this game are not differentiated by how hard a class is to play but by seeing the big picture the whole time.

If you do not have good awareness and take fast decision, you will find tanking very difficult in the beginning. You claim you have MMO experience so for you this should be a matter of getting used to the game and how your new character works. Also, what are your expectations?

If i were to share mine, you would realize that if I lose aggro even for a global cooldown I will sit down and peruse my log to see what happened. Oftentimes this is outside of my control due to accuracy based rolls, however, when this roll is not to blame, I need to learn to play a bit better. You can rest assured I will actually do better next time as I cannot accept to lose aggro not even for a global.