Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New open world Star Wars game from EA.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
New open world Star Wars game from EA.

WorldSmasher
07.05.2014 , 06:59 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ThorgrimLutgen View Post
I think this explains an awful lot as to the current and recent state of the game in terms of development and what we can or more likely cannot expect for SWTOR in the future.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-.../1100-6416442/

An open world game seems an excellent concept in theory, the fact that it is EA making it, means it will be cash shop driven with little real content.
I saw an article that culminated with the game that your talking about. This game is a remake of the Battle of Hoth games in the past. This is EA Canada's "dream project.." To do the Battle of Hoth "right." I don't think it is an open ended game, because (if I remember correctly) The Battle of Hoth games of the past were basically stage games/side scrollers.

The way the EA Canada guys described it, this, newest, version of The Battle of Hoth game "takes the player through the events of that battle as it happened in the movie." Or words to that effect. That does not sound open world-ish to me.

Elfa
07.05.2014 , 06:59 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
No, it's Mass Effect 3 that ruined SWTOR.
lol, no, it was 2 things that ruined SWTOR.

1. WoW, because all the studios thought it was the exception that proved the rule.

2. BF Heroes, because it showed EA how much money could be made off of F2P.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

Jandi
07.05.2014 , 10:08 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
lol, no, it was 2 things that ruined SWTOR.

1. WoW, because all the studios thought it was the exception that proved the rule.

2. BF Heroes, because it showed EA how much money could be made off of F2P.
You thoguht I was being serious?

Technohic
07.07.2014 , 08:32 AM | #14
Seeing as this was at the top, I was hoping there was some new info someone was posting on the open world Star Wars game. What a disappointment to find the same ol' thing from back in November of nothing more than job postings.
Quote: Originally Posted by proverbs 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him.

Keldaur
07.12.2014 , 11:24 AM | #15
Huh, SWTOR isn't open world. Star wars galaxies was. The guy who writed that article should be fired just for that reason alone.

Keldaur
07.12.2014 , 11:25 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by WorldSmasher View Post
I saw an article that culminated with the game that your talking about. This game is a remake of the Battle of Hoth games in the past. This is EA Canada's "dream project.." To do the Battle of Hoth "right." I don't think it is an open ended game, because (if I remember correctly) The Battle of Hoth games of the past were basically stage games/side scrollers.

The way the EA Canada guys described it, this, newest, version of The Battle of Hoth game "takes the player through the events of that battle as it happened in the movie." Or words to that effect. That does not sound open world-ish to me.
That sounds awfully like CoD.

MiaRB
07.12.2014 , 12:33 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Keldaur View Post
Huh, SWTOR isn't open world. Star wars galaxies was. The guy who writed that article should be fired just for that reason alone.
you are confusing 'open world' with 'sandbox'. a game can be open world without having any sandbox elements in it.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Jandi
07.13.2014 , 10:31 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
you are confusing 'open world' with 'sandbox'. a game can be open world without having any sandbox elements in it.
Sure, but SWTOR ain't either. Just because there's some wiggle room, it's still a one-way tunnel.

errant_knight
07.13.2014 , 11:04 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
Sure, but SWTOR ain't either. Just because there's some wiggle room, it's still a one-way tunnel.
I care far more about story content and fun combat than I do about open world. I don't actually like sandbox--these kind of games tend to bore me quickly. So the conclusion that being neither is a bad thing is highly subjective.

Jandi
07.13.2014 , 01:08 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
I care far more about story content and fun combat than I do about open world. I don't actually like sandbox--these kind of games tend to bore me quickly. So the conclusion that being neither is a bad thing is highly subjective.
Ummm... where did I say it's a bad thing? O.o