Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Macros?

Niconogood
12.23.2011 , 12:01 PM | #1
Any particular reason they dont have the opportunity to make macros in this game?

Especially in PvP this is bothersome. In PvE its not that big of an issue as you have plenty of time to choose the right skills, or simply doesnt need that many.

With so many skills, not to mention so many overlapping skills (skills with CDs that do about the same thing) I really cant see any reason not to implement macros.

The amount of skills even at level 20 is starting to get so high that its hard to have them all hotkeyed. Starting to use mouseover-click on skills in your hotbar in PvP is simply not an option if you wanna play efficiently.

I for one feel the includement of macros would drastically enchance the game. The ability to combine the right skills into the right macro and hotkey is just as much skill as having to stretch your fingers 20 cm across the keyboard to hit that skill you couldnt fit in close proximity.

With all those buttons going to skills, it also hurts the hotkeys for more mundane functions like "character", "sit" etc. as you need those buttons for single skills.

Please BioWare, put "implementing macros" on top of your todo-list as this would make the gaming experience alot more enjoyable for alot of people, especially more advanced/experienced players that thrive in highpaced gameplay.
R.I.P. Baluba - Commando - Uthar Wynn
R.I.P. Pebbles - Sage - Uthar Wynn
Baluba - Witch Doctor
Baluba - Guardian

JediDuckling
12.23.2011 , 12:09 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Niconogood View Post
Any particular reason they dont have the opportunity to make macros in this game?

Especially in PvP this is bothersome. In PvE its not that big of an issue as you have plenty of time to choose the right skills, or simply doesnt need that many.

With so many skills, not to mention so many overlapping skills (skills with CDs that do about the same thing) I really cant see any reason not to implement macros.

The amount of skills even at level 20 is starting to get so high that its hard to have them all hotkeyed. Starting to use mouseover-click on skills in your hotbar in PvP is simply not an option if you wanna play efficiently.

I for one feel the includement of macros would drastically enchance the game. The ability to combine the right skills into the right macro and hotkey is just as much skill as having to stretch your fingers 20 cm across the keyboard to hit that skill you couldnt fit in close proximity.

With all those buttons going to skills, it also hurts the hotkeys for more mundane functions like "character", "sit" etc. as you need those buttons for single skills.

Please BioWare, put "implementing macros" on top of your todo-list as this would make the gaming experience alot more enjoyable for alot of people, especially more advanced/experienced players that thrive in highpaced gameplay.
macro's should not be implamented into the game. they are just to easy to exploit and abuse.
if you want to show players you can play the game then single clicking is the way forward.or bind keys to your mouse buttons.

Raggok
12.23.2011 , 12:11 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JediDuckling View Post
macro's should not be implamented into the game. they are just to easy to exploit and abuse.
if you want to show players you can play the game then single clicking is the way forward.or bind keys to your mouse buttons.
Wow, I actually agree with Duckling on something. I guess you aren't a pure troll afterall. :P
Check out my SWTOR PvP movies.
Follow me on Twitter for updates

Dreadspectre
12.23.2011 , 12:11 PM | #4
Being efficient is not exploiting. It's working smart, not hard. It's not like the macros play the character for you, it reduces clunky mechanics and activations for classes with stances and whatnot(ever try manually doing all the stance dancing for warriors in WoW to use ALL abilities? Waste of key strokes and precious time.)

Plus I am running out of quickslot icons. I need to have multiple abilties tied to single icon, I hate having hotbars all over my damn screen.

Niconogood
12.23.2011 , 12:15 PM | #5
So to "show people you can play" you need to go and purchase a 200$ gaming mouse? Thanks for the heads up. I still prefer macros. That is what almost every newer MMORPG have been realizing too, and I must say I was very surprised to see SWTOR hadnt implemented this from start.
Baluba - Witch Doctor
Baluba - Guardian

Niconogood
12.24.2011 , 06:13 AM | #6
That being said, I still think macros would dramatically improve the playability of this game, except for the occasional carebear that doesnt know what a macro is.
Baluba - Witch Doctor
Baluba - Guardian

Dracolindus
12.24.2011 , 07:04 AM | #7
I often play a support role ... like healer or enchanter (eq1), and macros are a must when I'm trying to CC a mob (buy the way thank you for having some CC in the game) and say "hey dont kill T% mob now plz" Or to target the MTs mob in large fights when you don't want ppl just going bonkers fighting anything. Did any of you play a bard in EQ1? Macros were a must have, 1)/stopsong 2) /cast2

swor uses " / " commands, Do they seriously intend on everyone typing stuff out all the time?

Macros have become a staple in MMOs, taking out macros is like asking me to not use a mouse.

And lets face it, if swor really does well in the next few months ppl are going to start making add ons. I'm sure we all remember them from WoW. (dont kill me cause I said "WoW") So it seems safe to say that if bioware doesn't make macros some 3rd party will .... And personally I don't trust 3rd party strangers with my computer.

Pandemic on Veeboo Lunx

P.S. (edit) didn't notice when I did a search that this is a pvp thread,,, none the less macros are a must have. Like raids for example.

taproot
12.24.2011 , 09:59 PM | #8
This argument is invalid, you don't think the ppl abusing macros won't just use autohotkey instead to achieve the same end? Not having macros is simply an inconvenience to normal players.

Toffle
12.24.2011 , 10:05 PM | #9
No macros please.

If you must play with macros, go try Rift. Everyone is at the same skill level then because they spam the same 3 buttons. Here it is a mix of gear and skill. Macros make it only based on gear.

Please no macros.

Nykes
12.24.2011 , 10:11 PM | #10
With macros, people are on different levels based on the time and effort they put into researching "smart" ways to override having to actually hit buttons, without macros it is all skill.

Anyone whining about macros needs to try harder and stop being lazy. Bioware did not put them in for a reason.
GM of Blackwater

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"